Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Towing an A500.  (Read 877 times)

Description:

Towing an A500.
« on: December 15, 2002, 10:57:35 PM »
I do not think id ever do this but it is intrging has anyone ever done this or seen this or know how to do this. any links would be cool.

Offline Ross_Geller

• Show only replies by Ross_Geller
    • http://lee.rowson.co.nz/
Re: Towing an A500.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 11:46:22 PM »
As in behind a moving vehicle??  (it's too early in the afternoon to be reading stuff like that)
Oh, and remind me never to lend you one of my amigas  ;-)

I'd imagine a good start would be drilling a big hole straight through the machine and threading the rope through that... might want to unscrew the case, just for that little extra effect   :-P
\\"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us\\"

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 11:48:12 PM »
Yup, thats possible.
 Just tie 10' of nylon rope between your car and the 500, although the case may break up at 50 mph ;-)

If you meant the subject to be "Towering an A500", it`s a bit  easier than 1200`s are.
 The A500 keyboard has the controller chip on the keyboard itself, so you just need to snip the 4 wires, and extend them to the back of the case. If you don`t wanna use the original 500 keyboard case, lookup the MMKB archive on aminet for details of hooking up a PC keyboard.

For the floppy, you just need to make a longer cable. Easy enough to do, buy 2 IDC connectors and a length of IDC ribbon of the right width, and crimp it together (I normally use a bench vice!)

For the other ports, you could buy ready made extension cables from somewhere like Maplins or RS, and have them fixed to the right holes in the back of the case.
 I did my old 1200 tower a different way, by using the metal shielding as part of the back of the case, it was cheaper and tidier cos it didnt need the extension cables, but you have to be handy at metal working  to do it.
 The only disadvantage I can see with a tower, is if you use one of those sidecar type HD`s. Haven`t seen one myself, so I got no idea how to secure them safely.

Anyway, have a search on Aminet, some of the stuff about towering 1200s is just as relevant.(eg The AT or ATX PSU mods will be the same)
On schedule, and suing

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2002, 11:57:19 PM »
Sorry, I was talking about towering. I would never tow an AMIGA. You can not register them as trailors in America.  :-) Plus, I would be crying too hard to drive.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 12:00:35 AM »
 :lol:  :lol:
For goodness sake,
That`ll make it go faster than it was designed for!

I suggest you try it first on a C64,  to iron out any problems...

:-D

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 12:44:10 AM »
Honestly, I would laugh if I saw any computer flying down the highway at 80 MPH. But I would bust a lung if it was a C64. Anyways, for the last time, Towering.

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2002, 02:35:53 AM »
Tom-D-Tek's Amiga Hack Page has instructions for putting an A500 into a towercase.  It's got photo's and all. Check it out.  The man is a real Amiga guru, no pun intended.  He has helped me out a couple of times, I'd say  people like him have helped keep the Classic Amiga alive and kicking.  Great guy. :-)