Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple and New Amiga OS4 Compatibility?  (Read 7724 times)

Description:

Re: New Apple Game!
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 11, 2003, 03:52:40 PM »
Mac are easier to use. Time = money, PCs are therefore expensive. It has nothing to do with style.

see but thats part of 'style' or 'emotion' ....

but since you use the term 'Time' why dont we discuss 'speed' wich directly relates to time... for me Lightwave on a macintrash would be pretty slow and its an 'identical' app ... so I'd choose the PC wich is faster.

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2003, 03:53:21 PM »
> Looks & eyecandy & style goes a long way.

Actually there are other reasons as well.
For example... MacOS is the only OS to have global
colour calibration. Professional calibration is expensive,
 needs tools (photometers) and takes time. On Win
you have to calibrate each application specifically.
That's a pain in the ass.
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2003, 04:15:04 PM »
Hummm, perhaps Andrew you are right.  And, what you said about Penelope was true.  The difference of course was that Odysseus had a twenty-year absence from his wife, Penelope (and I am ALWAYS with Raquel  :-D  ).  Penelope had remained faithful to him, but she was under enormous pressure to re-marry.  A whole host of suitors were occupying her palace, drinking and eating and behaving insolently to Penelope and her son, Telemachus.  Odysseus arrived at the palace, disguised as a ragged beggar, and observed their behavior and his wife's fidelity (like Raquel's by the way ;-)  ).  With the help of Telemachus and Laertes, he slaughtered the suitors and cleansed the palace (hurrah!!!).  He then had to fight one final battle, against the outraged relatives of the men he had slain; Athena intervened to settle this battle, however, and peace was restored.  (whoopie!)

Anyway, we have not figured this part of the game out...want to help us? Andrew, you know the story... :-)

-------- :-)  :-)  :-) --------

Now a short word about the real Darwin...

Evolution occurs in three ways:

1. The strong get stronger!
2. The weak die.
3. Mutation occurs! (Hallelujah!)

It is therein in the third possibility that the most dramatic changes occur.  MorphOS, with all due respect to Ralph, is more than a metaMORPHOSis it is in the spirit of Darwinian mutation!  Don't worry we are not changing the name!  :-D  (and in the meanwhile we will see what OpenDarwin might have for the Morph-on-Apple development  :-D )

Back to the Game Development!!!

Thanks Andrew!

Sincerely,

Raquel and Bill   :-)

(who hope they never get a "Darwin Award")

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2003, 04:31:02 PM »
There's another thing about Macs .... in a corporate enviroment they don't seem to need a Helpdesk dept!
And, don't they now have a kind-of automatic networking tool?

Ah - Odysseus; didn't he arrive home to find a horde of men (Kings & Princes) making goo-goo eyes at his wife? There was something about her testing them with one of her husbands bows ..... seeing if anyone could bend it!

( None of them could .... Odysseus' bows were really high-draw )

Seem to recall that he snuck into the contest disguised; bent the bow, and took-out two rivals with one arrow! (Like in 1985 when the A1000 could beat ATs and Macs) . . . . . . . . .

° ( to the person who cast doubt that ANYONE still uses floppies- I've recently SAVEd a 4719Bit graphic file to a floppy so as to transport a replacement AVATAR image to a suitable machine for uploading .... I don't have a CD-ROM/RW, and who in their right mind would burn a CD for a sub-5KB file anyway? )

---If Highlander was an AmigaUser; he'd be awaiting the 'A1G4XE Quickening'!
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2003, 04:55:53 PM »
P.S. Andrew, we almost forgot!!!  We have a handle on Poseidon already -- don't worry!.  Please see this :-D

Raquel and Bill   :-)

Added Note:  IN FACT: the Pegasos with the assistance of Poseidon works NOW with the W@LK KEY...:-D  Ahhh, the gods are smiling on the Pegasos and the Genesis!!!

Offline AndrewKorn

• Show only replies by AndrewKorn
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2003, 10:11:08 PM »

bbrv wrote:
Hummm, perhaps Andrew you are right.  And, what you said about Penelope was true.  The difference of course was that Odysseus had a twenty-year absence from his wife, Penelope (and I am ALWAYS with Raquel  :-D  ).  Penelope had remained faithful to him, but she was under enormous pressure to re-marry.  A whole host of suitors were occupying her palace, drinking and eating and behaving insolently to Penelope and her son, Telemachus.  Odysseus arrived at the palace, disguised as a ragged beggar, and observed their behavior and his wife's fidelity (like Raquel's by the way ;-)  ).

Careful Bill. Remember the suitors were Penelope's guests - she refused to choose one OR to send them away. Telemachus certainly resented them, but Penelope kept them around. Let's face it, Odysseus could hardly make a fuss about it though -- he had just spent 7 years shacked up with a nymph, and you notice he didn't even START building a ship until Hermes came along to give him a prod.  

My advice: drop the Odysseus / Penelope thing or you may end up sleeping on the sofa tonight. ;-)

Anyway, we have not figured this part of the game out...want to help us? Andrew, you know the story... :-)

Sounds like fun -- a reverse god-game, an anti-Populous! Instead of ordering mortals around, you get messed about by a demented deity with an Olympian-sized chip on his shoulder. Conceptually innovative! I can imagine it winning awards for high concept, but alas in these days of ISS and GTA franchises, there's little room for art-house computer games on the shelves.

On the other hand, a Monkey Island style graphical adventure based on the Odyssey with a few comic twists and complete with a "Favour of the Gods" gauge might just work....

Serious question: wooden horses have to be big and impressive or they're unlikely to get dragged through the gates of Troy. Do the much Billed Bucks stretch far enough to develop a triple-A title? Sure a bit of clever thinking and a touch of Amiga community industry could bring the costs way down from the typical $3m+, but we're still talking BIG cash here.

Now a short word about the real Darwin...

Evolution occurs in three ways:

1. The strong get stronger!
2. The weak die.
3. Mutation occurs! (Hallelujah!)

That sounds more like a combination of a fascist dictatorship and radiation poisoning, not evolution! ;-)

Survival of the fittest does not imply the strong get stronger and the weak die, or sharks wouldn't have stopped evolving 90 million years ago and the world would be devoid of bunny rabbits.

Evolution is about developing a niche that you can be sucessful in. That niche might involve taking over the world by making fields, roads and mobile phones, or breeding so fast the predators don't drop your numbers too far, or it might mean finding a nice secure niche in a deep-sea vent where nobody tries to bother you.

I'd say our approach is certainly more interesting, but you've got to give it to those sulpher-fixing algae, they're a hardy bunch. Which species will last longest and therefore demonstrate that thiers is the superior evolutionary model? My money's on the Algae!

Still, one thing about evolution - it certainly throws up a lot of surprises. Looking forwards to seeing the next one. :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2003, 12:56:29 AM »
I read somwhere that MacOS X had support for the Unicode buillt in from. That is a good thing, why don´t we have it ?
Clearly if we have Locale catalogs then we must have Unicode to.
I haven´t tried MacOS X but if it´s unix plus macenvironment on top then it is closing in on AmigaOS:-)
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2003, 02:08:01 AM »
I think OSX is a great OS... it's the best thing apple ever made...but sadly it comes at a time when thier processors are slipping behind.
I look at it like this

pre-OSX I wouldnt touch a mac because cooperative tasking MacOS sucked... couldnt multitask... it was in short.. pretty darn pathetic.

OSX I would get a mac if they where cheap...but their not cheap...and that throws their price/performance ratio off...and their processors are slow for content creation.

I think it's sad some of the stuff that Apple has done... like buying 'nothing real' and trying to kill the X86 Windows version of 'Shake' thereby (in theory) forceing users onto Macs... sad thing for them is... as an app dies on X86 it leaves the market open for alternatives to spring up...and they are springing up and 'competing' with eachother and pretty soon Shake will be a bad memory as the other apps in the 'competing' market superceed it.

I hope the PPC 970 is kickass...because if it is... I'd certinly buy a Mac... but right now... their not looking so hot.

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2003, 02:44:51 AM »
Sorry guys, but this thread is now irretrievably off-topic.  Please feel free to seperate off into new, more targeted threads.