Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple and New Amiga OS4 Compatibility?  (Read 7699 times)

Description:

Apple and New Amiga OS4 Compatibility?
« on: March 08, 2003, 07:53:29 PM »
I have a Apple PowerBook G3. Will Amiga OS4 run on the ppc based computer apple produces. I would like to get a tri-boot system up on my laptop (Mac Classic, LInux, Amiga OS)

My first continuous encounter with computers was the Amiga 1000 and I have fond memories of that wonderful machine back in 85.

Offline strass

• Show only replies by strass
    • http://digilander.libero.it/strass76/
Re: Apple and New Amiga OS4
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 08:03:43 PM »
I am sorry but AmigaOS 4 will only run on AmigaONE PPC board and old Amiga 1200 & 4000 with some types of PPC accelerator !!!

Offline kostas

• Show only replies by kostas
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 08:15:34 PM »
Maybe we don't have good news for you about your machine and OS4, but we welcome you to our site

Kostas

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 08:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. My father bought the Amiga 1000 in the fall of 1985. I spent many hours on it playing the game Hacker. The toughest part was cracking the password(australia). I also enjoyed paint. Being that it was the only color graphical personal computer at the time. Bullrun was another game I enjoyed. Bullrun was a American Civil War Simulator.

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 08:29:20 PM »
If you look on top of the  "VideoMicrowave" you will see an Apple titanium running Morphos ( MOL I believe)

I'm sure BBRV can put you straight on that one.... !!
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 08:32:39 PM »
Morphos will come on a cd wich you can boot on your Apple machine. How and when I am not sure but this was the plan.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 08:36:41 PM »
The"B-Plan" ???  

:-D
The Reluctant Pom

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2003, 08:43:27 PM »
I have used MOL(Mac on Linux). It simply runs a mac enviroment on top of Linux.

I'm interested in developing apps for the Amiga. I have read a little about the Amiga SDK, what is the primary computer language for Amiga?

My dad was a die hard Amiga user. Around 94-95 he got his AmigaCD-32 to run as a 1200. He surfed the internet on that thing. I tried to get the AmigaCD-32 configured as the 1200, but had no luck. My dad took that secret with when he passed away. Dad said the Amiga was light years ahead of Windows and Mac. And the corporates at the time really missed an opportunity back in the pc wars to get a substantial market share.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2003, 08:53:49 PM »
My dad was a die hard Amiga user. Around 94-95 he got his AmigaCD-32 to run as a 1200. He surfed the internet on that thing. I tried to get the AmigaCD-32 configured as the 1200, but had no luck. My dad took that secret with when he passed away. Dad said the Amiga was light years ahead of Windows and Mac. And the corporates at the time really missed an opportunity back in the pc wars to get a substantial market share.

Im sure someone will be able to help you.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2003, 09:06:22 PM »
@araknoid

MOL runs every OF-compatible OS, so you could run Linux on Linux
(not much use for that) or MOS-on-Linux.

This would require some extra drivers which are not included in the
semi-public versions of MorphOS I can get.

The AmigaSDK has NOTHING to do with the Amiga except for the name.
It is just a rebadged version of intent running on Windows or (older)
Linuxes.

For real Amiga-programming C(++) with gcc is the most common and
sensible idea as this is what supported nby all next-gen AmigaOSes.

Turning a CD32 into an A1200, that was probraly one of these
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
Re: Apple and New Amiga OS4 Compatibility?
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2003, 11:19:33 PM »

araknoid wrote:
I have a Apple PowerBook G3. Will Amiga OS4 run on the ppc based computer apple produces.

Welcome, you spiderish person you! :)

There are no technical reasons preventing a port of AmigaOS to New World Macs, and if one would like an AmigaOS PPC laptop, there aren't all that many options but PowerBooks... There is no more custom Amiga hardware, so excluding the most common and cheapest consumer PPC platform doesn't make sense IMO.

This is not allowed to happen though. AmigaOS will not be sold separate from hardware, and hardware allowed to run AmigaOS will only be available from "special" licensed distributors. The only "new" such hardware are Teron motherboards, but only after they have been renamed and only when they are distributed by a company called Eyetech. An added "dongle" in the shape of extra code in a ROM on the renamed Terons will guarantee that you can't buy a Teron from anyone but Eyetech.

You might want to check out this site for more of my and over 900 others' opinion on this. Yes, it's been discussed here before... :)

My first continuous encounter with computers was the Amiga 1000 and I have fond memories of that wonderful machine back in 85.

You lucky sod! :) At that time I used my C-64 to draw pics with Koala paint of the Dream Machine that I could never afford. :)
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2003, 11:30:58 PM »
HMmm. sounds like a CD on auto repeat.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2003, 01:09:13 AM »
Hi araknoid, and welcome to Amiga.org. Always nice to see new people. :-)

As has been pointed out before, OS4 will not run on Macs. If you want to run the next AmigaOS you should get an AmigaOne, as this is the only licenced motherboard available at this point. You could also run it on an A1200 or A4000 with a PPC accelerator, but the high price and relatively poor performance makes this a far less attractive solution. I myself am currently waiting for an AmigaOneG4-XE. :-D

Kay

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2003, 03:38:59 AM »
How do I get an Amiga One? How much will it cost? I have a AmigaCD32.

Are there any Amiga Laptops out there?

I am ready to return to the Amiga Computing world.

Boing Boing Boing

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2003, 04:30:12 AM »
@araknoid

1) There are no new Amigas yet, and definitely no new Amiga laptops. Wait until there's actually an OS to go along with the name.

2) IIRC Bill Buck said he bought one of the key MorphOS developers a Titanium PowerBook, presumably to port MorphOS to it. I haven't heard any further developments however.