Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon2 vs Winuae  (Read 7344 times)

Description:

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
Re: Amithlon2 vs Winuae
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 19, 2002, 05:57:27 PM »
@DethKnight
and the A1200 composite out goes into my TV-card in)

Good idea!!. I'll have to do that on my setup. I hate having to use my monitor swithcher all the time.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2002, 10:44:30 PM »

DethKnight wrote:
@cecelia Thru my experiences, I'd say ou'll enjoy Win2K far better than other Windozes. Mine has yet to crash.
(but ultimately I find myself back in linux or UAE mostly)
I think I already said I was only going to use windows2000. AT work (when there is work) my boss has 2000 and it's the most stable we've  ever had in the office (except for when there were amigas there, of course). Plus, it  works great with aftereffects.

right now I just have to get a list of gfx cards that will let me use 24 bit. I've already gone on the amithlon mailing list with this question. I haven't made a final choice between amithlon and UAE (is that Amiga Forever, been out of it for a while, all these things are somewhat confusing). I just need to get a laptop with hardware that will work and be useful. I'm really looking forward to using linux, actually.

I'm keeping my real amigas, of course, but i need something that's portable and that runs AF so i can actually make a living whereever I go.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2002, 02:16:17 AM »
AFAIK, any of the mobile gForce nVidia chips should meet your needs for Amithlon, Win2k, and Linux.  And since UAE/AmigaForever utilizes the host OS's video driver you should have no problem using UAE/AF under Win2k or Linux.  There's even a 68k version of UAE out there you may be able to run under Amithlon...  Can anybody confirm this?

You can still obtain copies of Win2k from most vendors (i.e. Dell).  You may have to purchase a retail copy and/or install it yourself (depending the OEM and their license).  But if you're going to go with any MS OS, Win2k is the way to go.

FYI, Amiga Forver is just a commercial distro of UAE with licenced copies of Amiga OS (incl. Kickstart ROMs) 1.3-3.1 or 1.0-3.1 and a range of other extras (depending on whether you get the "Online" or "CD" edition).  For more on UAE/AF, take a look at these sites:

UAE Home
WinUAE Home
Amiga Forever Home
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2002, 10:14:07 PM »
@cecilia

Regarding Linux, I humbly suggest using SuSE Linux distribution. It's very user-friendly (GUI's for most setup things) if you're not into shellbashing, got really nice manuals, and even got an old version of UAE on it (as a choise when installing.) which is simple to upgrade. It supports a vast majority of graphics cards and I've run it on several different laptops with excellent results.

And if that works on a laptop, win2K works on it too.  (like mine. :)
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2002, 12:52:44 AM »
thanks loads, fellas! I'm letting my friend - linux fan and "expert" - do all the installing. but i'll let him know all the opinions i've gotten.

i figure i'll have to browbeat a Dell employee-phone guy into giving me Win2000 instead of the horrorXP, but if i'm armed with hardware details, it'll be easier. maybe  :-D
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2002, 02:17:43 AM »
You shouldn't have to be to pull teeth.  Just tell them that your employer only supports Win2k and that the laptop is meant for your "Mobile Office".  Since you can purchase Win2k Retail and Upgrade products from Dell, they should have an OEM copy for 'legacy' users.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline Kent

• Show only replies by Kent
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=87
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2002, 02:43:12 AM »

DethKnight wrote:
I'd say ou'll enjoy Win2K far better than other Windozes. Mine has yet to crash.
(but ultimately I find myself back in linux or UAE mostly)

The reason why Win2K is a much better "operating system" than any of the other MS attempts is thanks to the development team.  It was originally designed by the same people who developed the VAX stations (VAX is now owned by Compaq) rather than developed in house like all of the others from MS.  Knowing the kind of graphics processing that Cecelia does it might be better to do a dual boot Win2K/Linux setup with UAE vs the product formally known as Amithlon.  Though with the right settings you could easily tripple boot a system especially with a program like System Commander or a Linux LILO picker that can boot various partitions.  With all of the computer systems I have around here, I could get away with installing the product formally known as Amithlon on one of them and have plenty others to still do dev work on.

:pint:
I love the modern age world of this middle age crises America... all these SUVs driving around like there\\\'s gas to spare and then some.

http://www.RequestFocus.com

W. Kent Seaton ~ RequestFocus.com

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2002, 04:35:34 AM »
you guys are the best :-D i'm feeling alot more confident about this whole thing! :-P
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2002, 05:27:33 AM »

spihunter wrote:
@cecilia

I would go with a dual boot Win2k/linux setup
with Winuae running on Widows or UAE on linux.
that way your amiga side will have no problem
"seeing" the other OS's and it could share your
network card with Windows. The latest WinUAE
is very fast!!.  Save your self the hassle!!
I just got my Dell Latitude C840 (I think it's 840)
with win2000. it seems to run fast and nice! since "amithlon" doesn't look like it will go anywhere I think I'm going to try for this WinUae.
I've looked at the sites listed on this thread but, my god, it all looks like chinese to me.

ask me to use guassian blur and i have no problems, but tech-no-babble spins my head right off!!!  :-o

what version should I get of this WinUae stuff? My laptop has a GeForce4 card and 60 Gig HD (I have plenty of room for several OS's!!!)

I have amiga ROM's on a CD, and I know (sort of) that I need that but do they need to be put on a floppy? alot of this stuff is very confusing.

i have lots of questions, but i'm dizzy at the moment  :-D
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline ne_one

• Show only replies by ne_one
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2002, 05:57:35 AM »
@bhoggett

Bill... you've been in contact with Bernie for quite some time. Given his familiarity with 68k emulation and low-level PC coding has he ever been approached about spearheading a native x86 version of the OS? It would only seem natural since Amiga have taken an interest in Amithlon and Hyperion have worked so hard to create a HAL.