Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MAPROM  (Read 3118 times)

Description:

Offline outlawal2Topic starter

MAPROM
« on: December 21, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »
OK I have looked for specific info on using MAPROM and still have a lot of questions..
Can MAPROM function be used with any Amiga machine? (I have a 1200, 2000 and 3000)
I have seen where this was used with aftermarket accelerators, but can you use this on a stock Amiga as well? 
What requirements?

And finally what files need to be updated and where are they located?

If I can get some firm answers to these questions and am able to get this running on my machines I will post some instructions folks can use moving forward
Thanks

guest11527

Re: MAPROM
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
There are multiple constructions that are called "MAPROM" so this is hard to answer. First, some turbo boards offer "MAPROM" through a custom glue-chip. Many GVP boards have such an additional logic on board. The drawback is that such add-ons are hardware-specific, so you depend on the software of the board vendor, and second, such add-ons are typically not able to write-protect the ROM mirror, and they can only select from a small set of RAM locations where the ROM can be mirrored to. If all these locations are used, the mirror cannot be applied.

Then, many Amigas include a memory management unit, as part of the MMU. This goes for the (full) 68030 (not the 68EC030), the 68040 and the 68060.  They allow generic manipulation of the MMU table (e.g. by the mmu.library) independent of the Amiga make and model of the turbo board.  The MMU also allows to write-protect the ROM mirror. There are a couple of additional tricks the MMU can play despite mapping the ROM.

Other than that, the two options are equivalent as they allow to redirect ROM-accesses to RAM, which includes typically a speed-advantage.

Offline D00kie

• Show only replies by D00kie
    • http://www.tigger1.demon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 07:03:48 PM »
Oh, gosh yes! If you can get exec.library into fastRAM, it's a huge boost to performance.
Haiku is a joke
What a waste of freaking time
I have eggs to suck

Offline SpeedGeek

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »
Oh, gosh yes! If you can get exec.library into fastRAM, it's a huge boost to performance.

Most of the time your statement is true, but some of the time your statement is false. That's also why the docs with my MMU remapping tools remind user's to consider the ROM vs. Fast RAM speed first.  ;)

Offline paul1981

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »
OK I have looked for specific info on using MAPROM and still have a lot of questions..
Can MAPROM function be used with any Amiga machine? (I have a 1200, 2000 and 3000)
I have seen where this was used with aftermarket accelerators, but can you use this on a stock Amiga as well? 
What requirements?

And finally what files need to be updated and where are they located?

If I can get some firm answers to these questions and am able to get this running on my machines I will post some instructions folks can use moving forward
Thanks

There's MKick and ZKick both on Aminet for stock Amigas. ZKick can be used from KS1.3 machines. MKick requires KS2 as a minimum I believe. Study the documentation with them and experiment. Of course, you'll need ROM images. I'd call these 'Soft kickers' and wouldn't use the term MAPROM here. Your ROMS can also be loaded into Chipram or Slowram etc. if no Fastram is available.

Offline outlawal2Topic starter

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:53:19 AM »
Thanks Paul I will look into that...
 :D