Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surface 3 - New direction, higher prices and crappy i3  (Read 16627 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Quote from: Duce;764787
Completely different beast, Iggy.  It's not being made nor marketed for those wanting a $300 laptop, nor is it marketed towards gamers and gaming.

They are going for the enterprise market and driving the Surface 3 machines as laptop replacements to engineers, doctors, IT people, etc.

Funny, but I don't see those people using tablets, and this offers few advantages over a laptop.
So, do you really think engineers, doctors, and IT people WANT a device like this?
I know people in all three fields, and I think I'd have a hard time selling them this device (and having previously sold electronics, I'm pretty sure of this).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

Quote from: Duce;764789
http://www.macworld.com/product/586734/21-5-inch-core-i3-imac-3-06ghz.html

Exact model I have, still works just fine for the minimal amount I use it.

I've been wondering who still bought iMacs.
There must be a market for these, but I didn't understand it when the iMacs were introduced and I still don't get it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Quote from: Iggy;764791
Funny, but I don't see those people using tablets, and this offers few advantages over a laptop.
So, do you really think engineers, doctors, and IT people WANT a device like this?
I know people in all three fields, and I think I'd have a hard time selling them this device (and having previously sold electronics, I'm pretty sure of this).

Actually several systems at the hospital I work at are getting the tablet treatment. So yes there will be doctors, nurses and support staff running around with tablets and mobile devices. Several execs already have tablets and a couple have a Surface. And I know lots of people in the IT industry myself and nearly all have a tablet that they use in conjuntion with a laptop. So yes, Microsoft (if marketed right) have potential to make strides into the Corporate sector with these things.

@sysadmin

I can play linkies too.

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/05/20/10-reasons-microsofts-surface-pro-3-can-replace-laptop
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:59:11 AM by CritAnime »

Offline Iggy

Quote from: CritAnime;764796
Actually several systems at the hospital I work at are getting the tablet treatment. So yes there will be doctors, nurses and support staff running around with tablets and mobile devices. Several execs already have tablets and a couple have a Surface. And I know lots of people in the IT industry myself and nearly all have a tablet that they use in conjuntion with a laptop. So yes, Microsoft (if marketed right) have potential to make strides into the Corporate sector with these things.

At one of our local area hospitals (the one my parents trained at to be specific) only the dietary staff use tablets.
I have friends in IT too, and few of them are embracing the devices (and using them with a laptop seems redundant).
And the market where tablets are most popular, with young people and novice users, seems pretty far removed from the enterprise market you envision.

While the advantages of compact size and portability are obvious, I can't see this device doing more than displacing a small percentage of the other alternatives.

Quote from: CritAnime;764796
@sysadmin

I can play linkies too.

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/05/20/10-reasons-microsofts-surface-pro-3-can-replace-laptop

Nothing wrong with that list, I'm sure a few Windows fans will replace their laptops with a Surface Pro 3. The problem with Surface Pro is it never sells in large numbers. A few Windows fans always buy them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:20:33 AM by SysAdmin »

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Quote from: Iggy;764798
At one of our local area hospitals (the one my parents trained at to be specific) only the dietary staff use tablets.
I have friends in IT too, and few of them are embracing the devices (and using them with a laptop seems redundant).
And the market where tablets are most popular, with young people and novice users, seems pretty far removed from the enterprise market you envision.

This is reality however. Portability is become a major thing. We use COWs (Computers on Wheels) for a lot of stuff. These things are hefty, bulky and horrible things to move and use. Yet we need them because doctors and nursing staff use them when doing bedside reviews of patients. We can pull up everything we need about a patient and order services and procedures at the side of the bed. but they are not the most prcatical of devices.

hence why the trust is bringing in tablets that have similar fucntionality but are so much more portable and practical. Even against a laptop they are far more practical in this sort of environment.

I suppose with IT it depends on what they do. A lot of the people I know, including my brother-in-law who works for a analytics company, use the laptop tablet combo. they use the laptop for day to day business computing while using the tablet for sales and other stuff, where portablility is more key. A all in one solution, from this perspective, makes more sense especially as they might have to splash out on third party apps to get the same functionality on a tablet. Having a Windows OS based tablet would make more sense because they could still use their existing software. Saving money.

While the advantages of compact size and portability are obvious, I can't see this device doing more than displacing a small percentage of the other alternatives.

Trust me when you have used a COW you will wish for a tablet. I can see the apeal of a device such as the Surface compared to a laptop in a lot of situations.

Quote from: SysAdmin;764799
Nothing wrong with that list, I'm sure a few Windows fans will replace their laptops with a Surface Pro 3. The problem with Surface Pro is it never sells in large numbers. A few Windows fans always buy them.

:rolleyes: sums it up for you really.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Yes, only 4.6 million people bought Mac's in '13....

@SysAdmin.

RT devices have not been cancelled in any way.  I say that with some disappointment.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:43:32 AM by Duce »

Quote from: Duce;764810
Yes, only 4.6 million people bought Mac's in '13....

You are right of course, you won't find me disagreeing with you, Apple should have sold many more. By hogging OS X for themselves Apple is limiting the wide spread use of the OS. They should have partnered long ago with 1 or 2 other companies. Sony would have been a good one and allowed them to sell OS X machines.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Ubuntu Unity 8 will be out soon. Might be ok with a real OS.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
You get a really nice screen with a computer inside for not much more than the price of the screen.  The 27 inch screen is beautiful and really large enough that you could live with only one screen if you had to.

Quote from: Iggy;764792
I've been wondering who still bought iMacs.
There must be a market for these, but I didn't understand it when the iMacs were introduced and I still don't get it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

I miss the first Surface, the real one.

http://www.tested.com/tech/3181-microsoft-surface-20-launching-early-2012/

Its a iPoolTable killer!

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
Quote from: SysAdmin;764819
I miss the first Surface, the real one.

http://www.tested.com/tech/3181-microsoft-surface-20-launching-early-2012/

Its a iPoolTable killer!

If they had released one of those. I would been saving up and buying one.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
Quote from: persia;764815
You get a really nice screen with a computer inside for not much more than the price of the screen.  The 27 inch screen is beautiful and really large enough that you could live with only one screen if you had to.

Uhm no...

Checking apples page and there is the imac for $1,799, the same panel is used in Dell monitors at the prize of 450$.

Rest of the parts are:
3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB video memory

You got 1349$ left to spend, you will get %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! loads better parts then above junk for 1340$

Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI, mITX wifi board for socket 1150.
Intel Core i7 4790 3,6 GHz, 8MB, CPU.
8GB ram.
120GB Samsung SSD + 1TB 2,5" HDD (and space for 2 more HDD's in the case i picked)
be quiet! SFX Power 2 400W, quiet nice PSU.
Noctua NH-L9i, a low profile awesome CPU cooler.
Geforce 750ti one slot graphics card.
mITX case with single slot GFX card that you can mount on monitor.

Above + monitor costs about same as cheapest iMac and beats the more expensive macs.

So build it all in a mITX case with vesa mount for monitor if space is an issue, loads more performance  then iMac, or build a lot cheaper computer at same specs as the iMacs... and buy beer for the money you save.

Offline Iggy

@CritAnime

The argument against COWS is valid, no one likes them here either.
The disturbing part is our local hospitals even mount laptops on carts.
Fairly stupid, but...

And tablets with Windows do make sense from a unified software point of view.

While I can tolerate Android and Linux (and actually strongly dislike the Win8 interface), the advantages of that OS seem apparent.

And I'm not sure how iMacs got dragged into this as they aren't even comparable to these new convertible tablets.

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
Re: Surface 3 - New direction, higher prices aimed at corperate customers and crappy
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 22, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;764727
The Surface tablet continues to struggle and the idea to take down the iPad failed so with Surface Pro 3 the plan has changed. The new Tablet now has a higher price ($799 vs $499) and is aimed at corporate customers. It also includes a crappy i3 processor instead of the i5 that the Surface Pro 2 had. You can get a i5 or i7 but the prices goes way up.

Happy computing!

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248464/Microsoft_doubles_down_on_2_in_1_enterprise_first_Surface_strategy?taxonomyId=241&pageNumber=2

I respect everyone's right to have an opinion but I find it humorous that the iPad is even mentioned in conjunction with the Surface 3.

The Surface 3 Pro runs a full desktop OS and comparing the Core i3 and the A7 with iOS, which isn't much more than a launcher, is like comparing a Vic 20(6502) and a 386. The Core i3 is a very adequate processor for anyone doing basic desktop computing. The fact that you can now get an i7 in a hybrid tablet/laptop running a full desktop OS is pretty neat.

Perhaps, we should be more astonished that Apple can continue to sell a Wifi 10 inch tablet with an A7 processor and 64GB of storage for $699.

Forgetting that Microsoft is almost as bad as Apple, as monopolies go, doesn't that make a desktop level 12" tablet with i3, 64GB and full desktop OS for $799 look pretty good? It does to me, even if I'd prefer that it was coming from neither Apple or Microsoft.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:26:49 PM by Nlandas »
I think, Therefore - Amiga....