Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amiga legend - Free to Play on iOS  (Read 2682 times)

Description:

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
Re: The Amiga legend - Free to Play on iOS
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 15, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »
Quote from: Borut;680569
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/e8f5/

Yeah I've seen these, in fact I've used a Wii controller with my Android tablet to play with MAME. It's a very awkward experience to try and hold both a tablet and your controller at the same time. Only useful if you can set your tablet down on a table and sit in front of it, a position I am absolutely never in when mobile gaming.

The stick on joystick is an interesting idea but I can imagine all sorts of problems with that. For one, it's not a d-pad, it sticks out way too much, so you'd have to take it off and put it in another pocket or whatever when not using it. I don't see why they couldn't make a d-pad version though. I am sure every game has the virtual d-pad in a different spot, so you'd also need to be moving it around each time you play a different game.

I think unless Apple heavily commits to gaming I'm not sure d-pads and a button built into the hardware will take off any time soon. Oddly, if Apple did make it a spec to include a d-pad, I bet you'd see every Android device follow suit immediately for fear of not keeping up. It's a bit of a sad world that way right now.

I'm still trying to download Battle Squadron right now, unfortunately Apple's app store rarely wants to download or update apps, they just sit there waiting to download and never do until the moon is magically aligned with some planet. Don't get me started on how much I loathe Apple. :furious:

Offline TorbenLarsenTopic starter

• Show only replies by TorbenLarsen
    • http://www.cope-com.com
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
Quote from: fryguy;680614
An Androidversion is coming. i think its beimg beta tested now.

Hi Fryguy :)

You're right about that one and goldencode is really going to make the port shine on Android. You're in for a treat ;)  :afro:

Offline Bif

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
Finally got to try it.

The default control made no sense to me, makes me think it's not working correctly on my 2nd gen iPod touch. No matter what I touched or tilted my ship would only travel diagonally across the screen. Switched to virtual d-pad ... ugh ... I don't know how anyone could play an arcade game like that, totally impossible for me to control, maybe because I have giant thumbs or something.

Anyway, looks like it would be great retro fun if I could actually control the ship.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
I'm really surprised people are finding this so hard to control! I find it really easy... My thumb rarely leaves the lower right hand corner of the screen :)

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »
Wonder if it's a device specific issue?  Works fantastic here with the default controls.  Just drag your finger to where you want the ship to go.

iPhone 4 here.

Excellent work guys!

Offline Bif

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 03:39:47 AM »
I don't doubt that my 2nd Gen iPod sucks and probably doesn't handle input as well. It was nice and snappy when I bought it, then within a few months an iOS update turned it into Windows 95 running on a 486. I almost feel like Apple is purposely screwing over older hardware and not even requiring apps to actually be certified on older hardware. It's amazing how few things work properly.

Offline TorbenLarsenTopic starter

• Show only replies by TorbenLarsen
    • http://www.cope-com.com
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »
Quote from: Bif;680766
I don't doubt that my 2nd Gen iPod sucks and probably doesn't handle input as well. It was nice and snappy when I bought it, then within a few months an iOS update turned it into Windows 95 running on a 486. I almost feel like Apple is purposely screwing over older hardware and not even requiring apps to actually be certified on older hardware. It's amazing how few things work properly.

Could be an iOS version problem. It requires at least iOS 4.0 which has been tested to work :idea: