Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240076 times)

Description:

Offline NorthWay

• Show only replies by NorthWay
Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »
One could have hoped the OS included STDIN: STDOUT: and STDERR: (or just IN: OUT: ERR:). Would have been more "Amiga way" to me.

Offline graffias79

• Show only replies by graffias79
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 10:42:04 PM »
Will this operating system be distributed as ROMs and diskettes?

Offline boemann

• Show only replies by boemann
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »
Well, please define "implemented". Yes, pr_CES is of course "implemented". It sits there, waiting to be used. I can ensure you that the shell also fills it if you redirect stderr with *>, but that doesn't help if programs do not pick it up. We cannot fix that, of course.
Ok that is not what my research showed me happening but cool, I'll try again

If the question is: Did we actually touch dos.library? No, not this time. We already attacked one dragon in 3.1.4. (which is graphics, now at 45.27), and that is one monster enough for me this time. There is a tiny patch for dos in SetPatch, and quite some improvements in dos handlers, but Tripos itself remained untouched. This time.
All your work is appreciated

Offline bison

• Show only replies by bison
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 11:03:55 PM »
Is 3.1.4 being tested with emulators such as FS-UAE, or is it intended for real hardware only?
"Unix is supposed to fix that." -- Jay Miner

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 11:36:57 PM »
Is 3.1.4 being tested with emulators such as FS-UAE, or is it intended for real hardware only?

I am nearly always working away from home, so I usually run/test 3.1.4 in WinUAE on a notebook, and when I have time at home, usually on weekends, I can test it under real hardware.

Emulators are great for the convenience, speed and portability factor. Real hardware is much better when trying to test because either things work or not, there is no second guessing, or blaming it on bad emulator configuration options, or corner cases with unimplemented functions. So each option has its place.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 11:40:21 PM »
Will this operating system be distributed as ROMs and diskettes?

Yes, but there will also be other forms of distribution which I cannot discuss.  :-X

guest11527

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2018, 06:17:48 AM »

Both, but my confidence in emulators is limited, so real hardware has the final say. I found at least two serious bugs in eUAE (the last and latest emulator on Linux that works for me) while testing,  and I'm not using Windows for development either. Os 3.1.4 was completely build on vamos - thanks to Christian Vogelsang!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »
is e-uae up to date at all? i thought it was dead? jason has years ago used its fork, puae and im certain it has been discussed why not to use fs-uae which uses updates and fixes from winuae. here probably are severe reasons backing up these choices. but reading about necessary fixes to probably an outdated emulator, makes me wonder if there aint more inaccuracies that otherwise has been fixes in the current releases.

Offline bison

• Show only replies by bison
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2018, 07:35:15 PM »
is e-uae up to date at all? i thought it was dead?
It seems like it might be.  The last release was over ten years ago, the files are gone on Source Forge, and it does not appear to be in the Debian or Ubuntu repositories, although I seem to remember that it had been quite recently.  I've been using FS-UAE for a while now, so I'm not really sure when this happened.

http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/uaedev/files/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:38:38 PM by bison »
"Unix is supposed to fix that." -- Jay Miner

guest11527

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
Could we please keep the thread on topic?

Thank you.

Offline kamelito

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 07:52:21 PM »

Both, but my confidence in emulators is limited, so real hardware has the final say. I found at least two serious bugs in eUAE (the last and latest emulator on Linux that works for me) while testing,  and I'm not using Windows for development either. Os 3.1.4 was completely build on vamos - thanks to Chris

WinUAE should be better under Wine until FS UAE merge the latest WinUAE codebase.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:54:32 PM by kamelito »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2018, 04:00:22 AM »
I have already performed the 3.9 + 3.1.4 integration several times: It requires some work, but it is not voodoo magic by any means.

Could you tell more about this? This what I'm going todo, so I'm interested.

No problem.  :)

Just give me a day or two, I need to first get back home, and do this procedure all over again, so that I take notes, and dont miss something when retelling it.  ;D

Well, I did something better than what I promised:

I created a simple, but rather lengthy AmigaDOS script that will update a 3.5/9 system to 3.1.4.

It is a quick and dirty hack, but it gets the job done, at least on a clean AmigaOS 3.9 system that I have tested with.

I have handled it to other testers to see if it works for them. And if everything goes well, you will have a way to upgrade your  system, and even better than that, you will be able to read the AmigaDOS commands it contains and use a different, much better way to perform the upgrade yourselves.

My idea, if it turns out okay, is to upload it to Aminet so that anyone can use/re-use/read it and understand how the bloody thing works.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »
Thanks so much, Gulliver! That script will certainly make our lives easier!

Offline Romanujan

• Show only replies by Romanujan
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2018, 07:56:18 AM »
It is a quick and dirty hack, but it gets the job done, at least on a clean AmigaOS 3.9 system that I have tested with.

It would be better if it could update not plain OS 3.9, but OS 3.9 with BoingBag 2...

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
It would be better if it could update not plain OS 3.9, but OS 3.9 with BoingBag 2...

:) There is NO NEED anymore for any Kind of Boing-whatever.... 3.1.4 is much more newer.

The new setpatch can also handle 68060 CPU and ROMUPDATE is obsolete

@Gulliver
maybe we could include this script into the Distribution ? Modules Disk ?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:46:54 AM by Rotzloeffel »
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline Romanujan

• Show only replies by Romanujan
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 27, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »
:) There is NO NEED anymore for any Kind of Boing-whatever.... 3.1.4 is much more newer.

I assumed that OS 3.1.4 won't contain most BB2 updates (Reaction, Amplifier, and several others) - in fact, I assumed it won't contain these components at all... do you have access to 3.1.4 beta to confirm this, or is that statement just your guess?