Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon  (Read 36998 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Amithlon
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
No recent news on ARIX. They might be hush hush because they are going to sell it. Can anyone give us an update?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 12:51:37 PM »
What does AROS have anything to do with Amithlon?  Not trying to be snarky, but I'll be damned if I can even begin to understand why you'd want to run AROS 68k under an Amithlon type environment when Amithlon and 3.9 work absolutely flawlessly.  An afternoon putting together old hardware and skimming EAB for the latest Amithlon info and you'll have the best Amiga you ever owned for $50.

Perhaps I am failing to see the purpose of AROS 68k at all.  What does it bring to the table that WB 3.x doesn't?  I've tried it 100 times over in AF and UAE, and it still seems like re-inventing the wheel and it's a terrible experience, imo.  

I can grab AmiKit, AF, Amithlon and a 3.5 or 3.9 CD and be up and running a modern 68k based Amiga system on commodity hardware in mere minutes.  Literally.

Baffles me why AROS 68k is so fawned over.  I'm as much of an open source dreamer as the rest, but the idea of AROS 68k + Amithlon or even running AROS 68k on legacy HW makes little sense to me.  Seems like a solution in search of a problem, but then again, WB 3+ has always worked just great for me.  I never lost sleep over not having the source code for it.

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »
Quote from: Duce;772498
What does AROS have anything to do with Amithlon?  Not trying to be snarky, but I'll be damned if I can even begin to understand why you'd want to run AROS 68k under an Amithlon type environment when Amithlon and 3.9 work absolutely flawlessly.  An afternoon putting together old hardware and skimming EAB for the latest Amithlon info and you'll have the best Amiga you ever owned for $50.

Perhaps I am failing to see the purpose of AROS 68k at all.  What does it bring to the table that WB 3.x doesn't?  I've tried it 100 times over in AF and UAE, and it still seems like re-inventing the wheel and it's a terrible experience, imo.  

I can grab AmiKit, AF, Amithlon and a 3.5 or 3.9 CD and be up and running a modern 68k based Amiga system on commodity hardware in mere minutes.  Literally.

Baffles me why AROS 68k is so fawned over.  I'm as much of an open source dreamer as the rest, but the idea of AROS 68k + Amithlon or even running AROS 68k on legacy HW makes little sense to me.  Seems like a solution in search of a problem, but then again, WB 3+ has always worked just great for me.  I never lost sleep over not having the source code for it.

Avoid legal and copyright issues
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »
I like it. It is a logical step for high end classic systems. Plus it will be a single install, no need to bother with a lot of patches/updates.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »
@ Duce
I believe Amithlon uses a Special Version OS3.9.
Also, It can not be purchased anymore.
The reason for Aros 68K is that if applied to Amithlon it can be made available again.
Sincerely.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 07:36:21 AM »
Allright, someone post links to ISO's for amithlon already.

I have some spare pc's I'll give it a try again...

I tried to get an amithlon pc going 2 or 3 times. Always had some issues (Video didn't go past 640x480, or sound didn't work, or didn't see the net card)

Most people who actually got it going love it...
I suppose getting it going is the hard part.

Me? I throw hardware at stuff if posible instead of pulling out hair fighting with it. Its just easier.

As in AROS, just use a supported net, video and sound card (60$ total on ebay)and most problems are solved.

But for awhile now, I have asked, what network card, what video card and what sound card are best for getting amithlon running without too many headaches? If I can get old pci cards cheap on ebay I'd rather do that and
have less hair pulling and headaches.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »
Quote from: Duce;772498

And I struggle to understand user like you... but I give up with it

I will continue with my distribution based on emulation and not recommend anyone to invest time to optimize it for legacy hardware because it seems there is not much interest and noone interested to invest in it (f.e. by doing testing and logging errors). Regarding FPGA (Apollo) I got mixed signals so I have dropped any work from my side in that direction and will concentrate on what I have but if people in future moan that AmigaOS is not in development anymore and how unjust world is and what might have happened if this or that would have happened I will remind them on their reactions and actions (or better no actions). In my view people not contributing have lost the right to moan.

"Perhaps I am failing to see the purpose of AROS 68k at all. What does it bring to the table that WB 3.x doesn't? I've tried it 100 times over in AF and UAE, and it still seems like re-inventing the wheel and it's a terrible experience, imo."

BTW thank you very much for the flowers...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:26:26 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;772485
Does it sound possible even without getting some permissions?
edit:
It would be cool if the commercial side was either open sourced or licensed .

There are legal issues with Amithlon that will never be resolved sadly. It's successor "Umilator" has no such legal issues but Bernd destroyed all the source code for it including backups. :(
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
Was a good EAB thread on Amithlon, for those asking me via PM for info.

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
@Nicholas
I wish I could remember what commercial software that was argued over.
I think one thing was a color wheel.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;772567
@Nicholas
I wish I could remember what commercial software that was argued over.
I think one thing was a color wheel.

• I meant the spat between Bernd and Harald Frank is unresolvable due to various reasons which led to the development of Umilator which contained no code written by Harald, rather than the other legal issues between H&P and Amino.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;772550
Allright, someone post links to ISO's for amithlon already.

Here you go amithlon and updates from my file server:

http://www.som99.se/Amithlon/

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
@Nicholas
I see. It makes me wonder if anyone (Amiga Inc, H and P , etc.)talked to each other in the first place.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;772556
There are legal issues with Amithlon that will never be resolved sadly. It's successor "Umilator" has no such legal issues but Bernd destroyed all the source code for it including backups. :(
I don't know he took such drastic action... Shame.

Offline Havie

• Show only replies by Havie
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
Anyone tell me how to install this on a 'blank' hard disk - have an old laptop floating around tha has Icaros Desktop but would like to try.  Live CD boots ok - not sure if I can change graphics mode becuase it's a Live CD or hardware issues.  Wouold love an Amiga laptop but don't want something that boots into Windows first - just straight to workbench please...

« Reply #44 from previous page: September 09, 2014, 02:46:26 AM »
The above iso works on my ZV5000 hp laptop.