Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Triple booting?  (Read 1564 times)

Description:

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
Triple booting?
« on: April 22, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »
I've seen documentation for dual booting Amithlon with Windows XP.

How much extra complication would be involved in triple booting all three?

What order would you install the OS' in?

In my opinion XP would have to be first, but then would you install Amithlon next or AROS?

The reason I'm asking is I've got an Athlon XP processor, a KT400 motherboard and an FX5900XT video card sitting around and they should all work with all three OS'.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
Re: Triple booting?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
I don't run Amithlon anymore, so I can't help you there. However, I do have a triple-boot: Win7, Linux and AROS. I typically install AROS last because it uses GRUB 2 (I think) and sets up the correct boots for Win7 and AROS. I typically have to save the grub information for Linux and then insert it into the AROS grub to get Linux to boot.

Don't know if there's a better way or not... probably. :)
Ed.

Offline Methanoid

• Show only replies by Methanoid
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
I'm quintuple booting right now...  OSX, W7, Linux, Amithlon & AROS. I'll copy n paste my headline guide from EAB here (mobo was D945GCLF2)

Stage 1 – W7

I think in my case I used an MBR hack to get it installed with MBR but GPT/GUID is also fine. Assuming GPT follow this to get W7 installed and then OSX
https://sites.google.com/site/nozyczek/home/hackintosh/how-to-dual-boot-snow-leopard-and-windows-7

Stage 2 – OSX

https://sites.google.com/site/nozyczek/home/hackintosh/how-to-install-snow-leopard-10-6-8-on-intel-d945gclf2-atom-330

Stage 3 – Linux

I installed Mint 12 64bit (Atom 330 is 64bit) but any Linux pretty much will do. I suggest not creating a swap partition but you probably can (just makes it more confusing with even more partitions). Make sure you install the Grub2 bootloader to the Linux partition NOT the bootblock or you’ll kill the nice Chameleon bootloader that OSX uses

Stage 4 – Amithlon

Important to note that Amithlon WONT work if you don’t change the SATA to Legacy mode (ie IDE emulation). I used Acronis Disk Director to partition my Amithlon partition as &076 (Amiga) so Amithlon could use it. Copied the Amithlon files (kernels & IRD files) to a directory on Linux partition called Ami in root directory. Customised Grub2 to load Amithlon (details shortly)

Stage 5 – Icaros (AROS)

http://vmwaros.blogspot.co.uk/

Likewise AROS won’t allow AHCI so you need to be in Legacy mode (but W7 and OSX will work still thank god!). Copy the AROS kernels to the Ami directory. Install AROS using LiveDVD or USB stick following manual but do NOT install Bootloader. Then boot into Linux and customise Grub2 to load AROS (details shortly).

Stage 6 – Tidy up bootloaders

Need to edit a Plist file in OSX to hide some partitions and rename others, set a default OS etc. (details shortly)

Finished/End Result

Pretty Chameleon boot shows OSX, W7 and Linux. Select Linux to get Grub2 and then either boot Linux or Amithlon or AROS.

Later

I’ll have a play later with BURG and a pretty bootloader for every OS.

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:32:39 PM »
Yeah!
That IS impressive.
Let us in on the details when you can.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:44:41 AM »
Why not just run some of them in a VM?  None of the OSs require a large amount of Ram, maybe a couple gigs.  Is there a virtualBox image of Amithlon?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.