Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CybervisionPPC cooling for Permedia 2  (Read 1092 times)

Description:

Offline my_pc_is_amigaTopic starter

CybervisionPPC cooling for Permedia 2
« on: January 16, 2020, 05:50:42 AM »
I've had a copper heat sink attached with some double side thermal tape.  I'm trying to figure out if there might be a better fan/heat sink solution that could use the 4 holes around the permedia 2 to clip on a fan/heat sink combo for better cooling. 

What size fan/heat sink fits on the permedia 2 and does anybody know a part number/brand that works?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline darksun9210

Re: CybervisionPPC cooling for Permedia 2
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »
Anything. anything is better than nothing.
I've never seen a specific part number to fit, but looking at it, the hole layout is suspiciously similar to the heatsink mounting holes around the PPC chips on both the blizzard and cyberstorm cards.

i used to run my Cvision with some thermal paste and a heatsink i'd scavanged from somewhere that matched the chip size wise - held on with wire wraps through the mounting holes.
my bvision i fitted stick-on ram heatsinks, to not just the P2, but the PCI and glue logic ancillary chips as well - as they can run _very_ hot. Then for both i've got a dedicated fan blowing on the sinks and the card. the bvision having the space and air flow constraints of the desktop A1200 case.

years ago where i used to work we were running multiple Appian Jeronimo Pro 4Port graphics cards per machine. these are 4x Permedia2 chips, each with 8meg ram on one PCI card. when these were finally upgraded and thrown in the bin, i took the liberty of snapping the heatsinks off thinking i would retro fit them to my amiga Permedia cards. only when i removed them did i realise that they were rubbish little thin aluminium sinks held on with a massive blob of glue. how we didn't get more cards die of heat death i'll never know.

may be worth fitting some small sinks to the ram controller chips on the cyberstorm card too, as those are known to get *warm*.

i did drill and tap an AMD K6-2 heatsink to my PPC chip on my cyberstorm via the mounting holes. as that little HS+fan dust trap that was on there... bleh... so at least you have options to do your own thing if you want.

may also be an idea to get one of those laser+I/R thermometers to hunt for hot spots. apologies for not actually being able to give you the info you where asking for though.
i do find it a little odd that the C and Bvision cards were supplied totally naked though!

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline my_pc_is_amigaTopic starter

Re: CybervisionPPC cooling for Permedia 2
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 12:26:49 AM »
Thanks a lot for the advice.  I ended getting a 24mm fan and got the head of the screws attached on top of the heat sink with some epoxy.  Attaching a pic.