Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Capital Punishment - Sorry  (Read 1741 times)

Description:

Offline WibblyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Wibbly
Capital Punishment - Sorry
« on: July 26, 2004, 10:28:29 PM »
Ok, so I'm new here, and made a few posts today, and no doubt upset a few people. Only my opinions though, no malice implied nor intended. Also, I'm sure this question has probably come up more than once, but I've had these disks sitting here for 2 years or more, and never seen what REALLY happens when they work.

Capital Punishment. Clearly doesn't like an expanded Real Amiga.
Doesn't much like any configuration I've made with any version of WinUAE either. Hard Drive Image or not.

I'm curious if anyone has managed to run this game on WinUAE, and if so, which version was it, and what were your EXACT settings?
I've tried about everything to no avail. I even downloaded the disks in case my originals were corrupted. Same problem.

They install just fine (to both real Amiga and WinUAE). However neither will boot up. Installing the 1.1 patch allowed WinUAE to show me the Copy protection screen, look up the manual and enter a correct code. Screen then goes black, hard drive does a flicker and that's it. My Real Amiga just gives me a software failure each time. I'm using a bootdisk on both. I've tried giving the WinUAE amiga 8Mb chip and running from workbench. I've also tried the WHDLoad version. I've tried with and without patch 1.1. With original disks (copied via CrossDos) and downloaded ones.

I'm saddened but also somewhat amused, that I can make WinUAE play about any game, including Doom and Quake, but this one stupid AGA game does not want to do ANYTHING.

Much love to anyone that has a solution that actually WORKS

Offline potroast

• Show only replies by potroast
    • http://www.vibrant-solutions.net
Re: Capital Punishment - Sorry
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:50:10 PM »
no solution but I played capital punishment whn it first came out and wasnt that impressed, the graphix were FINE but the playability was set a bit too hard for my stupid mind.
heh heh i may be an asshole but i built an A1200 into the biggest case you have ever seen

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 11:15:14 PM »

sorry, totally OT, but when I saw the thread, I thought that you were bringing up the death penalty debate again, and were apologising for that!
I like Amigas

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 12:04:36 AM »
LMAO!

Ok, well seeing as how Capital Punishment (the game) is impossible for me to run, and now that someone says it's crap, I won't waste anymore effort on it.
It's not so much a desire to play it, than it is a desire not to be beaten by 7 stupid diskettes :pissed:

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 01:14:25 AM »
I remember that you had to have as much chip ram as possible. There was also some kind patch you had to install to get it to run. the instuctions were on a sticker that they slapped on the box after it came out.

The game sucks anyway. I played it for a few hours and wanted my money back.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 06:50:41 AM »
That game must have really hit the hardware.

I'm sure I read it used HAM modes. The graphics were supposed to be
very impressive.

Maybe it's worth loading up just to see!

:-D :-D

Offline Effy

• Show only replies by Effy
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 07:12:27 AM »
In my honest opinion, the game was breathtaking with superb graphics on an AGA A1200, even on a ´slow´ 68030/50 ... but beat´m ups is not my kind of game ...

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 10:24:34 AM »

I thought this was going to be a thread started by one of the original developers who wanted to apologise for the game! :-)

This game is almost as difficult to run as T-Zero, another infamous Clickboom title that needs 101% chipram to run. I got both T-Zero and Capital Punishment to run with WinUAE by holding down both mouse buttons and booting with no startup-sequence, to maximise chip ram. The WinUAE config had minimal hard disks and no floppy disk drives, and I think I used a 68020 CPU. Memory was 2MB chip, 8MB fast. (I think... I'm at work and can't check right now!)

Steve.

Offline Damion

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 10:38:09 AM »
I could never get it to work on my A1200/Blizzard 1260 board. I tried *everything*, but it always crashed
while loading, after the first "round". The graphics and gameplay were pretty good by amiga standards, but
terrible if you owned a Playstation and Tekken. Was definately an admirable effort 'tho, considering at that
point (I think this was in '96) the amiga was already relatively dated compared to everything else.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 11:28:37 AM »

I remember that you only can run the game
in the early startup boot-menu.
(Press both mouse buttons when you reboot,
boot with no startup-sequence).
Because it needs the full 2MB of chip-memory.
But the game is realy a piece of crap!

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 12:53:52 AM »
Piss on it then. I shall ceremoniously burn the disks and it's packaging at a stake which I will borrow from the next door neighbours fence.

Thanks for your time people.