Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga wiki - interested?  (Read 3032 times)

Description:

Offline alxTopic starter

Amiga wiki - interested?
« on: August 07, 2003, 06:48:58 PM »
I've been thinking of setting up an Amiga wiki for a while (for those who don't know, a wiki is a large set of interlinking pages that anyone can view, add to or edit).  Other people have expressed an interested in another forum, and I'll set one up if enough people want it.  Please reply to this post if you would contribute to such a page (don't post on the Amigaworld thread as well please :-) )

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
Re: Amiga wiki - interested?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 07:27:44 PM »

Ironically, I tested the same kind of thing out over at MorphZone.  It could be fun, but if you set it up try Vanilla.  It is done via REBOL, and could possibly be run ON an Amiga!
Regards,
Targhan

Offline alxTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 07:42:14 PM »
It could be fun, but if you set it up try Vanilla. It is done via REBOL, and could possibly be run ON an Amiga!

I'd like to, but it wouldn't be possible to install REBOL on my server.  And since I've only got a 512k connection, I cannot host it on any of my local machines, much as I'd like a miggy server :-(  There are quite a few easy to set-up wikis just need php and an SQL database and are easy to install - I'll just use one of them (I'm not really experienced with more complex things on servers).

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 09:10:25 PM »
alx

let me see if I can install rebol on my new rack if so I'll host it.  :-D
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 10:19:22 PM »
@terminills

I tried to look at openamiga.org, but we have websense here at work, which blocks certain sites depending on content.  

It blocks openamiga.org because it says it contains references to sex.  Could you remove the sexual material from openamiga.org so I, and others who have web filtering, can view the site?

Thanks!

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 10:33:34 PM »
lmao last I knew it didn't have any sexual references... I'll have to check again.

:edit:

just double checked nope I didn't accidentally upload files from my other sites.    

:edit2:

are you sure it's not confusing openamiga with latin sex sites?   :-?

:edit3:

I just put in for a manual evaluation and master database change to fix that problem.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 11:15:35 PM »
Brilliant idea... but can't we just extend www.Wikipedia.org?

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 11:18:13 PM »
The beauty of the Vanilla system is that it is all self contained.  No need for SQL, PHP, or anything else.  It handles it's own security, etc.  It is definately worth looking into.  The drawback of Vanilla (the rebol wiki engine) is that the documentation is very scarce. :-(

Still, wiki's (php, and other kinds) are all fun.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 02:25:09 AM »
We use Tiki at the Phoenix site. It's AFAIK the most full-featured wiki package around (actually overkill if you just need a standalone wiki). It's great because it goes beyond the standard wiki concept of user-editable pages. You can assign permissions so that certain groups can view, edit, etc. pages on a page-by-page basis. Also roll back versions, compare versions side by side, get a list of differences, place images in pages, create structures of pages tutorial-style that have "previous" and "next" links at the top. It goes on and on.

The full package includes news publishing, forums, blogs, file/image galleries, shoutbox, the works.

But it's a heavyweight and tends to need a lot of memory for PHP script execution. The biggest problem for the Amiga platform is that it uses CSS for layout. This can be worked around to some degree, but is a downer out of the box.

For a collaborative site, it's a terrific program. See
the Tiki home page, the Phoenix site (only news shows to public) or my family site (just switched to Tiki -- working on content) for examples.

-- gary_c

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 04:30:27 AM »
@gary_c

Your site definitely has improved, good show.
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline Jaruzel

• Show only replies by Jaruzel
    • http://www.Jaruzel.com
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 09:57:13 AM »
@terminills

lmao last I knew it didn't have any sexual references... I'll have to check again.

I've sent a request to websense to have it reclassified as 'Info Tech', if they approve it - it should be unbanned within 72 hours.

(The perks of being a Websense Admin)

-Jar.
Enlightened Gurus Always Meditate.
Custom MUD Server | See My A1200D(Sparc)
[A1200D(Sparc) / 68040-33Mhz]

Offline alxTopic starter

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 10:04:34 AM »
I've had a look on the web archive, and it doesn't look as if there were any adult sites on the url before.  I can only access one version from september 2000 -

"Open Amiga Foundation - freeing the AmigaOS"

Anyone remember what that was? :-?

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2003, 10:22:43 AM »
It would be nice, but I think there are too many immature Amiga "fans" out there who would just deface as much of the content as they could.

Offline alxTopic starter

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2003, 11:05:00 AM »
I've decided to set one up - although not that many people seem interested, my server is currently hosting a traffic-less forum, and so I'm not going to be loosing much.  It might not do very well, so it's just a little project of mine really.  I'll tell you when it's complete (or when I give up :-) )

BTW the wiki I'm planning to use can be set up to allow only registered users to do things - so if vandalism is awful I can do that.

Offline alxTopic starter

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2003, 01:31:36 PM »
The wiki is now set up, and I have told about 16 people where it is - the idea is to get a bit of feedback and content before I make it public.  Please don't be annoyed if I haven't chosen you - I've picked fairly random members from a cross-section of the site.  Watch this space...