Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anubis, Icaros, and XAmiga...  (Read 8441 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: Anubis, Icaros, and XAmiga...
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
You are correct. It will probably be a long time, if ever, before we see Anubis actually running.

You could just watch and see what developes here.  Imagine, a OEM that is helpful for developing an OS, who would have thought?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »
Yes, and I find it interesting that they're the same company that bankrolled MorphOS (BBRV and Genesi). :-)

Might Anubis be an ARM port of MorphOS?  I hope so and I also hope that x86 will follow soon thereafter.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »
Shouldn't you actually have something written before you port it?  There is absolutely nothing in the downloads on the Arix source forge page.  Although I must admit it's far easier to port vapour.

Gotta love it though that the firmware has a name - Aura...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline dammy

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 07:38:16 PM »
Might Anubis be an ARM port of MorphOS? I hope so and I also hope that x86 will follow soon thereafter.

It is not.  It owes it's heritage to Linux kernel and ideas from AROS.  It has nothing to do with MOS which is closed source.  

Dammy
Dammy

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
@ DrZarkov

First of all I have to make clear that I'm pretty much a newbie here, still.
Just got back to my old devices yet in December.

But to me now:

Icaros/AROS.  This is much Amiga-like since it's heavily possessing the original API strength. But since I cannot run it on my notebook (the only PC at home), I consider it requiring SPECIFIC (like iMica) hardware, thus being pretty relevant to OS4 or MorphOS on that matter.  I won't get myself a new PC. Yuk! One is enough.

So like I find that AROS lacks some manpower because since it started, it may not be called a x86 system. Seriously, face it even if you don't like it. Windows fully supports x86, same Linux which is its best feature to me.  Well AROS don't.  So you got a proper PC - great - you might try some AmigaOS 3.1+ implementation. I don't and thus consider it a narrow-hardware project. Similarily to AOS4 or MorphOS so NO PRETTY MUCH VALUE-ADDED regarding x86. x86 is x86 to me and always will be. So AROS, despite of my intentions, it's pretty useless just like for a guy here, having Thinkpad, a laptop too.

Anubis and Xamiga (just learned 'bout that one now). Those are Linuxes. To which extent? I think since neither is 3.x+ API compliant, they all seem Linuxes to me, nothing more.

UAE strict support? So what? Is Amiga about UAE? Noone would say yes. Amiga-style/think? So what? Linux has many wrappers to resemble Windows even.

I think next steps to make Linux more Amiga will be:
-Amigax- linux having Amiga-like UI widgets
-Aminux- linux having Amiga desktop screen built-in and icons
-Alinux - linux  having Amiga desktop screen built-in, though heavily customizable ie. 68k-like, 3.1-like, OS4-like and so.

Bollocks!!

So what I plan is MorphOS or AOS4 for my Macmini, the sooner-one the better-one.

Hope I learned my lessons well...
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline DiskDoctor

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 10:46:03 PM »
@ bhoggett

bhoggett wrote:

mongo wrote:

cicero790 wrote:

Anubis:
An Amiga os nextgen for x86 that will have memory protection, benefit from linux vast driver collection. Only the kernel is based on linux the userland will be amiga. Its no linux distro. It have vast potential in the future.

Linux is only a kernel. Anubis is a Linux distro, just possibly one that won't be compatible with any of the other ones.

It's arguable whether anything built on a Linux kernel is a "Linux distro". Amithlon was built on a Linux kernel, but you'd really be stretching a definition to call it a Linux distro.

Please grow up. Linux by definition is the kernel itself. Modern definition is: a UI/Xwindow layer onto the Linux kernel.

Man...

@ persia

Ari-what???

WTF??

See i can see the Amiga OS is melting down...

Check out Itchy & Scratchy Evil Dead episode to see what I mean.

To me (again as a newbie) the only TWO things that count now are AmigaOS4 and MorphOS, plus UAE as a bonus on ambiguous system (for the time being since both got one built in).  Eventually AROS/iMica but as long as neither of the above is released on Macmini say, this year.  Which is False (I mean, either will).

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »

persia wrote:
Icaros and XAmiga actually exist.  Anubis AKA Arix does not...

And my brothers baby doesn't exist either yet... (?)

@m0ns00n

Why "Anubis:" and not "Sys:" (or "System:") ? forgive me, by I'd like to *not* associate the system partition  with an old egyptian (fake/alien, you decide) god of death !  :-P
I have spoken !

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 02:29:42 PM »
@DiskDoctor:

You can use AROS hosted in pretty much any x86 machine...

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline kolla

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
What I wonder about is when it comes to Anubis is "why Linux?"

I mean, Linux is a very moving target, trying to build ontop of it is hard enough for dedicated Linux distros, GNU (toolchain) and everyone involved. For a handfull of people to create a "new OS" ontop of it seems like a heck lot of work, and work that will have to be redone on a regular basis as the Linux kernel moves on. Maintaining kernel patches is not fun, and maintaining kernel patches that will _never_ go upstream is even less fun.

So, why not pick a less "mobile" kernel, one with developers who actually know what AmigaOS is?
Say, DragonFlyBSD?

Also, even from reading the homepage of Anubis, I dont grasp what it's really about - it sounds like a OSX wannabe with linux as kernel and GNUStep as toolkit - nothing Amiga about it. Changing names of directories away from posix standard doesnt really do much.

So I have my doubts about this, and the fact that BBRV has somehow embraced it just makes me even more skeptic.

But, by all means, bring it on in whatever way you like  :-)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline persia

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »
Also the Arix/Anubis folks want to change Linux file structure.  OS X left the BSD file structure  intact, BSD programs run in the normal BSD locations and OS X applications run in the OS X locations.  For example the config files for Apache are in /etc/httd or /etc/apache2, but itunes support is in /Library.  

The Arix folks want to make one file system that supports both teir Amiga-like GUI and the Linux subsystem, what this means is that they have to change Linux fundamentals, which mean that they can't just grab the latest Kernel and expect it to work, and applications like Apache need to be rewritten to work.

It seems like they are creating a whole lot of work that is unnecessary.  Given that they have only 15 people on their list and only show the expertise of three, they wouldn't seem to have the expertise and manpower necessary to accomplish their stated task of an Amiga Like gui let alone produce their own Linux distro to build upon.

I'd forgotten about Matt's DragonFly BSD, hows that coming?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline dammy

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »
It seems like they are creating a whole lot of work that is unnecessary. Given that they have only 15 people on their list and only show the expertise of three, they wouldn't seem to have the expertise and manpower necessary to accomplish their stated task of an Amiga Like gui let alone produce their own Linux distro to build upon.

Could you also predict next weeks Lotto numbers for us as well?  I'm not really sure why your so negative at this point about the project, unless our concern about your beloved charity OS being threatened by an Open Source OS like Anibus-OS of course.  I guess it may be frightening to think that a OEM is supporting Anubis-OS with consumer level hardware, but such is life.

Dammy
Dammy

Offline DiskDoctor

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »

pixie wrote:
@DiskDoctor:

You can use AROS hosted in pretty much any x86 machine...

Frankly you're right. Most sensible PCs are AROS-supported.

But since many people have notebook PCs nowadays, their incompatibility in graphics/sound/other components make systems as AROS require a "special" computer (non notebook).  On the other hand one can install Windows and Linux as well, on practically any computer available.

Hence the conclusion - AROS is for PCs as long as you are desktop.  So statistically, not necessarily fully supported x86.

Offline dammy

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »
Hence the conclusion - AROS is for PCs as long as you are desktop. So statistically, not necessarily fully supported x86.

If you look closely, Pixie said, "Hosted" and he is right on the money.  As long as the host OS has something equal to vmware, it can run AROS hosted without issue.  Your thinking of natively running on notebooks which may indeed have issues because of the unusual hardware that maybe be found in a notebook.

Dammy
Dammy

Offline persia

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 01:33:20 AM »
I only read what I see, have you been to the Arix page?   The fifteen is off that page.  Personally I have coded in Obj-C, I have also been involved in OS development.  I've also watch dozens of OSs try and fail.  You have a massive project, you have limited resources.  I am simply being a realist.  

I don't think that Arix/Anubis threatens AROS, but obviously you have issues with AROS...

dammy wrote:
It seems like they are creating a whole lot of work that is unnecessary. Given that they have only 15 people on their list and only show the expertise of three, they wouldn't seem to have the expertise and manpower necessary to accomplish their stated task of an Amiga Like gui let alone produce their own Linux distro to build upon.

Could you also predict next weeks Lotto numbers for us as well?  I'm not really sure why your so negative at this point about the project, unless our concern about your beloved charity OS being threatened by an Open Source OS like Anibus-OS of course.  I guess it may be frightening to think that a OEM is supporting Anubis-OS with consumer level hardware, but such is life.

Dammy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline dammy

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 02:34:04 AM »
I only read what I see, have you been to the Arix page? The fifteen is off that page. Personally I have coded in Obj-C, I have also been involved in OS development. I've also watch dozens of OSs try and fail. You have a massive project, you have limited resources. I am simply being a realist.

Seems more like wanting something to fail to be honest.

I don't think that Arix/Anubis threatens AROS, but obviously you have issues with AROS...

I said your charity OS. Unless you have been donating to AROS since P2P took over the bounties, I sure don't remember seeing you donate a penny to AROS.  That would leave the possibility of two other charity OSs, OS4 and MOS. Those two I could easily see be threatened by Anubis-OS in the coming years.

Dammy
Dammy

Offline DiskDoctor

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 30, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

dammy wrote:
Hence the conclusion - AROS is for PCs as long as you are desktop. So statistically, not necessarily fully supported x86.

If you look closely, Pixie said, "Hosted" and he is right on the money.  As long as the host OS has something equal to vmware, it can run AROS hosted without issue.  Your thinking of natively running on notebooks which may indeed have issues because of the unusual hardware that maybe be found in a notebook.

That's right. But hosted OS is not OS, just a virtual guest.  Doesn't feel the same.

Notebooks being unusual hardware... Technically True, but statistically... False.  It is market that makes the definitions what is usual or not. Always.

BTW AROS Live doesn't boot on my notebook so it ain't hosted that way.