Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quick question: Building a new PC, AMD or Intel?  (Read 5076 times)

Description:

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
Re: Quick question: Building a new PC, AMD or Intel?
« Reply #89 from previous page: November 12, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »
So Redrumloa,

How's she handling? Must be dreamy, having such a speed demon system!

Just ONE of your 4 cores is faster than my single core 2.26 GHz P4 with 400 MHz FSB.

I have 1 Gig of DDR1 ram.

And your video card is probably 15 times faster than my 128 MB Ti4600!

I know that it's waaaaayyyy to early to tell, but could you come back later with how long you think it would be comfortable using such a powerhouse?

I'm wondering if CPU power need is nearing a plateau yet?
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »
by Atheist on 2008/11/12 6:49:55  
So Redrumloa,  
How's she handling? Must be dreamy, having such a speed demon system!

Every since I exchanged the RAM it has been sweet, rock solid stable. I've only really pushed it with one new game "Dead Space", it flies full speed with all gfx options maxed out. truly amazing! This is with just one GTX 260, added 2 more in SLI would truly be nutty overkill at this time.

I look forward to trying some video conversions to see the speed.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2008, 12:53:55 AM »
@Piru

I've never heard of that before, and I've worked on a lot of systems. Is this something that is only needed for DDR3 setups?

Honestly, I don't know enough about electronics to say, but it predates DDR3 by quite a bit. I had an old Via Apollo 133 board that wasn't stable with four PC133 DIMMs installed unless the voltage was ramped up. It may have had something to do with the way power was chained to the slots. Obviously, you'd want to stay within the tolerances documented for the memory and the board itself.

@redrumloa

Try Crysis. It's a system killer, regardless. I'm enjoying Fallout 3 quite a bit. It's similar enough to Oblivion that getting into the gameplay was quite easy (assuming you've played Oblivion). Apart from Pipboy and other obvious visual cues, though, it's quite different in tone from the first two games. It's neither desolate nor desperate enough, despite the post-apocolyptic environment.

Speaking of Oblivion (Elder Scrolls 4), buy it, too. You won't be disappointed. Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3) is still quite playable as well. For the casual gamer, both provide months of gameplay.

And finally, don't forget Half-Life 2 and its continuations. It's a few years old, but it's still awesome.

@all

Mark Russinovich has a good write-up here <http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx> on how Windows uses physical memory on both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms. Note that the parts specific to 32-bit systems are somewhat operating system agnostic (yes, even 32-bit Linux has limitations), as all x86 operating systems rely on the same technologies to access memory.

Trev