Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Quick question: Building a new PC, AMD or Intel?  (Read 5075 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Quick question: Building a new PC, AMD or Intel?
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 01:03:37 AM »
Intel + nVidia + 8gb RAM.  Go Asus, MSI or ABit for your motherboard and video cards.  HD wise, SATA3, as much as you can get. Go with a dual-terabyte RAID setup and never need drive space again*.

*=until 2013 or thereabouts ;-)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 01:04:42 AM »
My AMD 386 clone was a complete turd, but that doesn't say much about today's products. I'm still using an AMD Athlon 64 4000+, and my nVidia 8800 GTS 512 picks up most of the slack.

If you want stability, go with an Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad and an Intel boxed motherboard. Intel's boards don't have legacy connectors--parallel ATA, PS/2, floppy, etc.--or even PCI slots in some cases, so keep that in mind. i.e. If you want to a use a Catweasel, go with another brand. I like Asus.

Buy memory tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer. If you're running a 32-bit operating system (not just Windows), don't install more than 3 GB or so of RAM, depending on how your motherboard maps your add-in cards and onboard widgets into the 4 GB address space. If you're running a 64-bit operating system, don't worry about it, and buy as much memory as you can afford. I'm still using 1 GB but could probably benefit from upgrading to 2 GB.

Buy a hard disk based on cost and warranty. (My rule of thumb: buy the disk just below the point at which the cost increases at a higher rate than the capacity. Seagate's 1TB "SATA-II" disks are reasonably priced, and they have a 5 year warranty.)

Buy a SATA optical drive that meets your needs. DVD+/-RW DL at minimum, Blu-Ray if you can swing the added cost now.

Buy a media-friendly graphics card--any of the midrange nVidia and ATI cards should do; however, nVidia is doing wonderful things with CUDA, PhysX, and general purpose programming on their GPUs, i.e. not just for gaming. The midrange cards typically have hardware-assisted Blu-Ray/HD-DVD decoding while some of the high-end cards do not. Do a bit of research before buying.

If you plan on watching high-definition video content, make sure your monitor supports HDCP over DVI or HDMI (or use something like AnyDVD HD--an awesome and easy to use program--to disable HDCP completely).

Offline SteveSMS

• Show only replies by SteveSMS
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 01:46:01 AM »
Please DON'T go AMD.
They used to be good but Intel is much better nowadays.

Just check the various benchmarks and you'll see what i mean.
Also, AMD's run a LOT hotter than Intels.
... Who says the sky is really green? Maybe we\\\'re all just colorblind...
A1200 6GB HDD
A3000, building in progress
A2000, building in progress
A500

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 01:59:38 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards Intel. I'm also thinking DDR3, is it worth it? Is EVGA an ok brand nowadays :-? So far only DDR3 motherboard I am finding are EVGA.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 02:10:01 AM »
You probably won't see much of a difference between DDR2 and DDR3 today, given the slow refresh rates of current DDR3 parts. You can always buy faster parts when they become available. It really depends on what you plan to spend on the combinbation of motherboard and memory. You have two options: 1) buy DDR2 board and memory and upgrade to DDR3 board and memory later; 2) buy DDR3 board and memory and upgrade to faster DDR3 memory later. Option 2 should be less expensive long-term, but it depends on what motherbard you buy.

EVGA is an excellent brand. Both their products and their support are great. They do tend to be more expensive than other brands, though. Keep in mind that most nVidia-based products (video cards and motherboards) are rebranded reference designs. You're really paying for the reputation of the company and their warranty and support policies. EVGA does have a nice upgrade policy.

If you're going with an Intel processor, look for P45-based boards. Many of them should support DDR3.

Offline a1200

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 02:42:29 AM »
My rule of thumb has been:

For home/games/overclocking/experimental build go AMD.

For servers/enterprise/uptime/stability go Intel.

Am I a little out of touch or does anyone else support that rule?

For work I go Intel board and Intel chip. Whilst some other MB manufacturers may give better performance, the Intel motherboards do seem to be rock solid.
Amiga A1200, 3.1 ROMs, Blizzard 1230 MKIV 128MB & FPU, 4GB DoM SSD, Workbench 3.1

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 03:01:30 AM »
intel. It has been the obvious choice since core2.

I'm still very happy with the E6320 running at 2.8GHz. My next system will likely be a Core i7 setup, though.

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 03:46:35 AM »
Agreed. AMD has had very little to offer desktop users lately; however, their server products perform quite well. AMD has had the advantage in memory bus speed for quite some time, but Intel is quickly catching up.

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 04:01:20 AM »
My 2c's
Gigabyte MB (all solid state but shut done the Dynamic Energy saver)
4GB Cosair 1066
Intel Core 2 or Quad depends on what you want to do. (they are faster atm)
Seagate ES drives
Nvidia 9600 (but the ATI is much much faster and the 4870 kills the lastest nvidia by 2 times look up the spec on websites).
depending on how long you want the computer to last invest in some quality components.
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 04:59:17 AM »
On this moment Intel is my preferred processor, Costs a bit more but is much faster and stable.
I'm very happy with my E6600 core 2 duo clocked form 2,4 Ghz to 3,0 and it works flawless.
Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 05:45:40 AM »
Intel all the way.  Either Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad.  I just bought my son a Dell XPS 420 Core 2 Quad off of ebay for $731 shipped.. brand new in box.  Came w/a 19" widescreen Dell LCD.  Steal of a deal :))
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline new2amga

• Show only replies by new2amga
    • http://www.canadiancrusaders.com
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 06:40:33 AM »
I'll throw in my 2 cents as well even though I haven't posted much here, as I am trying to absorb as much information about Amiga's since I haven't been around them since I was 12.  For you questions about processors, it really depends on what you are going to use the computer for.

If you have no intentions of overclocking your processor then I would recommend AMD.  They are indeed slower than Core2 and Core2Quads, but they are considerably cheaper, and if you hunt around you can get the EE (Energy Efficient) which depending on the model consumes from 35 to 65 watts.  Keep in mind that if you don't buy a black edition of an AMD chip you will not be able to overclock it very easily or far.  AMD still uses the 65nm architecture which isn't super energy efficient.  Most Core2Duo chips are 45nm and are very energy efficient.  They also overclock really far, and stay very stable.  Also about Core2Quads, from what I understand is that they are two Core2s with an interconnect bridge.  If you want a true Quad core from Intel, wait for the Core i7.  These are true Quad cores from Intel, and they are incredibly incredibly fast, somewhere in the range of 25-40% faster in certain apps than a core2duo.  However, they are very expensive, as I believe I read that the entry level i7 chip is $250 USD.  There is only one chipset, the X58, currently that supports the i7 as it goes to a new socket called socket 1366.  It also sports an integrated memory controller like AMD CPU's do.  The motherboard is as much as $300 for the i7.  If you are using programs that utilize more than one or two cores, then definitely go for a quad core.  However for gaming, most games work with two cores, but show very little gain on quad cores, many times being outpaced performance-wise by a faster clocked dual core.  When it comes to memory, I cannot really state whether you should get DDR3 or DDR2.  DDR3 does run slightly faster, but can be in the range of 50% or more expensive than DDR2.  If you go with a core2duo, you can use either DDR2 or DDR3.  Looking at Newegg, 4GB of DDR2 1066 can be gotten for as cheap as 79.99 where DDR3 1066 will run at least $100.  Note there will not be a speed difference between the two, as the latency on the DDR3 is considerably higher.  A happy note is DDR3 runs at a lower voltage, requiring less power.  Note that AMD does not support DDR3 yet, as that won't be supported until their next line of processors comes out next year for a new socket called AM3.

For video cards I would recommend looking into AMD/ATI's line of 4800 series.  They are a very good price to performance ratio, with the 4850 taking the crown for price/performance ratio.  The card is exactly the same internally as the 4870 except it uses less, slower memory and the core is clocked slower.  You can find a 4850 for as cheap as $130, as that's how much I paid for mine.  It's a Powercolor. Still, even though it's slower than the NVidia series of GPU's, it's also very inexpensive.  I can run Crysis Warhead (sorry don't have the first one) at 1280x1024 with the graphics set to enthusiast and still get about 30 Frames per second.  I run Dead space maxed out at 1280 by 1024 (that's the highest resolution my monitor does) and it runs super smooth and is creepy as hell.   :-)

I use Gigabyte motherboards as they have worked best for me over the years.  I haven't run into compatibility issues with any components I use, and I always use a added in Sound Card.  Currently using the X-Fi Fatality Professional PCI-E card.  Very nice card.  This same card caused me to purchase a new motherboard a while back as it caused my whole system to crash as I wanted an AMD chipset for my computer and the only company that had one was ASUS.  That motherboard made me want to buy a Mac!

Bottom line really truly is, buy for what you need and be certain to leave what room you can for expansion, be it a faster cpu, or video card, that way you don't have to rebuild your system again in six months, cause that always stinks.   :-D

I guess that's more than my 2 cents eh?  Sorry for the ramble.  Have fun building your new system!!!

Offline quarkx

• Show only replies by quarkx
    • http://www.amigalounge.com
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 06:49:53 AM »
Also, Remember that MOST software does NOT take full or any advantage of a Quad core CPU, so in 99% of the time you are wasting your money on a Quad core. In most cases a single core processor still runs circles around Quad cores because only a single core is being used, and no Quad core yet has reached the highest speeds of a single core.
I have Amiga stuff for sale at http://amigalounge.com. You can follow my builds there also.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 07:29:57 AM »
Just bought a Geforce 9800GT as replacement for my recently deceased 7600GT - for just 120€ it absolutely kicks a**! The PhysX engine looks nifty and Folding@Home's CUDA client runs 5000 PPD. :-o

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
@quarkx
In most cases a single core processor still runs circles around Quad cores because only a single core is being used, and no Quad core yet has reached the highest speeds of a single core.

Which single core are you talking about exactly?

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 04, 2008, 09:21:54 AM »

Retro_71 wrote:
... Gigabyte MB (all solid state but shut done the Dynamic Energy saver) ... Intel Core 2 or Quad

Couldn't agree more!

Aside from my olde P4 (for legacy 32-bit stuff and the Catweasel), I have two Core 2 machines on Gigabyte boards, one running Ubuntu 64-bit and the other running Vista 64-bit. Really can't fault them - and pretty much everything just flies along, especially on the Ubuntu machine.

The 3.17GHz Core 2 was the best value the last time I looked a few months ago, at least here in NZ.

- Ali