Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: xBox 360 or PlayStation 3  (Read 4511 times)

Description:

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
Re: xBox 360 or PlayStation 3
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:27 PM »
@Darrin

you did a very good decision there... :)  

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:50 PM »
@ leirbag28

i'd pick a minidisk over an mp3 player anyday. i've gone through quite a few and also i tell you i get weeks worth of music on 1 aa battery. the disks and player can fit in your pocket and even on the worst setting it sounds better than a tape from my generation so i don't complain and you can get over 10 albums or was it 20 on one disk. you can pick them up for £10 off ebay. i use minidisk in my pocket as i know it's always there and working any other player i carry is a backup!

:-)
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 11:10:57 PM »
@ mikrucio

I agree with you - a lot of the posts on here are uneducated - I believe some of the stuff you said previously would fall into that category too  :-P

@ others

Just a couple of things:

- Why on Earth do any of you care whether a console is 'Amiga-like' or not?  I could go around saying 'well, my Zune is Amiga-like because it has good graphics' - clearly my Zune is not an Amiga, and clearly nobody cares.  What does 'Amiga-like' mean anyway?  Does it mean it's Amiga-like because it has co-processors?  If it does, does that change the way you interface with the console at all, or is it just a point for you to hack on other consoles?  Seriously, give it up - modern consoles are not Amigas.

- Please bother looking up what you talk about before you start spouting it.  The 360 is not on a 5th hardware revision, and even though I have been victim of a 360 failure, I must commend MS on their customer support and their 3yr warranty.  Many other companies *cough* Apple *cough* have completely ignored issues with their products i.e. iPod screens cracking etc.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 11:12:13 PM »

A1260 wrote:
@Darrin

you did a very good decision there... :)  

I was impressed at the price.  I nearly ordered it from Walmart, but they were going to add local sales tax and shipping to the price.  I checked Amazon.com and they had free shipping with no sales tax.  I'm looking forard to showing my son how it works.   :-D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline crass84

• Show only replies by crass84
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:15 PM »
id go for the 360 because at this moment in time its got more games as them being unreliable ive had mine since they were first relesed and ive had no problems but then i dont play it 14 hours a day

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 11:18:07 PM »

mikrucio wrote:
the ps3 has more RAM. better processors. a built in next gen video drive(blu-ray) for out of the box 1080p video. and as always 1st party games from $ony are 10 fold better than 1st party games from M$. not to mention 10 times more 1st party games. The multi platform games this gen wont be as varied in quality from last gen. (NFSU2 is better on xbox than ps2 for example) So you decide. THE XBOX360 is LOUD! be warned.

Hate to disagree mikrucio but you'll find that the PS3 and Xbox360 have the same amount of ram, also the Xbox360 GPU is more advanced than the PS3s. If we're really being picky about things then it also depends on what you're doing with the CPUs in the machine. You can do things with the Xenon that the PS3 would struggle with and via versa, how relevent those things are to the game you're making is highly variable and dependent on the title itself.

As for console life-cycle, the Xbox360 launched more than a year ahead of the PS3 so yeah I'd expect a new version about a year head of the PS4 as well. That still leaves a reasonable 5 year mainstream dev life for the Xbox360 though and only about 6 years for the PS3.

Also you're paying through the nose on the PS3 for that next-gen blu-ray drive that no-one cares about or is using the space of. Whereas the Xbox360 has done the online things superbly and still doesn't require more than one DVD.

Personally I'd see what games the OP wants to play and if he wants to play game online, if he does then xbox live is a superior system to anything that the PS3 offers.

Andy
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline Terse

• Show only replies by Terse
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 11:33:33 PM »
I grudgingly concede that Xbox Live is a well-made platform.  Still not enough to get me to buy a game console.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2007, 12:03:02 AM »
Good question... The Xbox 360 has more and better games at the moment and even graphics are so far superior to PS3 games. It is on the other hand more closed, so dont expect to run linux or homebrew on it. It has also had some reliability issues, while the ps3 seem to have ok reliability stats.
The xbox 360 also has better media playback ability currently including divx/xvid upto 720p resolutions with 5.1 ac3 audio. Sony has also announced a divx update for the ps3, but there is sadly no info on what res/bitrates it will support and if it will do 5.1 audio.

The main benefit of PS3 is ability to use linux and play blueray movies.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2007, 12:50:33 AM »
The wii seems to have won the price and fun factor status.

The Xbox360 , would not suprise me, has better or more  games due to being more PC-ish.  It could be just easier to progam.

The PS3 has a higher price, IMHO, due to introducing newer technology (Blu-ray and cell) and is possible harder to program for.  It reminds me of what the Saturn went through with its 7 or more processors.  It may take a while for devs to get up to speed.

I hate hearing the "Who is going to win the console war" stuff.  It has been going on for about 20+ years.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 01:38:52 AM »
I bought what had the most games at the time.  360 by far.  I dont see any games for the PS3 that are so awesome as to sway the vote and make me decide to buy a PS3.  Now I know down the like PS3 will win eventually, if so, then I will buy a PS3.  

This whole "i'm a amiga fan and I dont/wont support microsoft" thing I'm not in to.. I buy what works.  If my son wants a 360 and at the time its kickin PS3 butt then that sounds good to me.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline sdyates

• Show only replies by sdyates
    • http://VintageGameSite.com
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 01:44:17 AM »
The noise is a real pain when watching movies on the 360. I am on my third machine. However, I like the games better. I can also play for 20 hours without my hands cramping up.

I guess it comes to Gears of War, Halo 3, PGR4 and a few others.

I might even pick up a Wii
1 x A500, Hi-toro 4000 :)
1 iMac OSx, 1 Mac Mini
1 Wintel 03 svr

http://www.RetroGameAndComputer.com
http://www.BassFishing-Gurus.com

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 01:53:13 AM »
Wow some people do post some silly replies,no console is "amiga" like lol and regardless i dont even look for a console that is amiga like... :roll:

But yeah the xbox 360 has a much better game selection IMO and i also had a faulty machine which for some very weird reason seemed to always scratch my farcry game and no other...
Microsoft fixed my machine and it has been working fine,as for noise i mean come on people even the dreamcast was very noisey but who really gives a toss???
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 03:30:46 AM »
Gosh, have you guys figured out why there aren't many PCs sold with High Definition DVD drives yet? Well they usually require support for copy protection built into the graphics.

I keep hearing this really ridiculous point "blue ray" is going to win. Actually the drive that's winning is the one that does both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray all in one unit. That's what everyone wants and is waiting for.

I don't see not having an optical drive to be a problem especially with the hard drive and it's ability to download HD programming from the Xbox Live HD content service (similar to itunes)..

Most people buy consoles based on games they want to play.. Not the hardware, that's why in the USA the Nintendo Wii is sold out in most stores around me..

The 360 is a nice unit, and very expandable like the PS3. I think neither is lacking in that ability.

I personally was excited to hear that the new PSP (the PSP200) has high def widescreen video output and supports component out cables. Especially with the number of PSP UMD videos out there (not quite high def but cool)
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 03:47:48 AM »
I bought a Wii a while back and the whole family loves it, more fun than any console I've ever, and I do mean EVER, used.

Offline TheMudTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheMud
    • http://www.houseofvoices.tk
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2007, 04:10:54 AM »
Damn !! Didnt think my topic would make such a discusion :-)

Anyway ... Im not buying but getting it for free... I have selected the
PS 3 ... Why ? .. Ehmmm... Thats why...

To the one that mentioned Wii and Xbox will loose the race.

Wii is IN FACT the most selling console !!! ... I have it to, and my
Children LOVES it ... ( and I - but don't tell ) ... The Wii ist such a brilliant
idea come to live ... Just love it...

Merry Xmas everyone :-)

EDIT -> ... I choosed the PS3 cos' a friend of mine has both the PS3 and Xbox 360 Elite... PS3 is half as loud and so much more stylish :-) ... And he gave me two PS 3 games ... So what should I now want with the xbox   :lol:
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.dailyroxette.com - My first passion next to Amiga

Offline trekiej

« Reply #44 from previous page: December 13, 2007, 04:13:39 AM »
How does one know that the PS3 can play PS2 games?
Edit:( Serial number, model number,etc)

How does one know that the Xbox360 has the new chip set?

Do you think the HD-DVD drive could be hacked and placed into an Xbox360?

Sorry, I do not want anyone thinking I was mad from my earlier post.  I do not want anyone to win the console war.
It is bad for all of us. I am tempted to buy an Xbox360.  I do not want to feel I have to buy Msoft.  Atari,Commodore, 3DO,Sega,they all died in some way and I believe it is MSoft's turn.
But, When one dies another takes its place. So, does it really matter?
It is the dreamer and believers that make all this fun.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.