Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: xBox 360 or PlayStation 3  (Read 4516 times)

Description:

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
Re: xBox 360 or PlayStation 3
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 08:40:21 PM »
If this topic were in Alternative Operating Systems maybe it would be more on topic?

Anyway I would say none of the two. But that's just because I don't like consoles.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 08:49:44 PM »
does the 60gb ps3 play ps2 games? along with the video out on the psp they have let their customers down. but it's probably some underhand dirty ms trick somewhere making good companies have to cheapen their hardware to stay afloat.

i'll be glad when ms collapse. they won't be missed.
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 08:58:48 PM »
I bought a Xbox 360 for my son for xmas.

@Terse:
For a newbie you sure do come off the wrong way.  Chill out.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Terse

• Show only replies by Terse
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 08:59:09 PM »
Turns out my rant was not done.

What do Amiga users see in the 360 anyway?  It is NOT an Amiga.
The arguments I have read so far are not very convincing:
So many former Amiga developers work for MS directly.  For example, DirectSound is based on Blue Ribbon’s Amiga technology.
3DO is the most Amiga-like gaming console platform. The silicon was designed by the Panasonic 3DO M2 team, and not the MS’ Xbox v1 technology. Xbox 360 is 3DO 3.
The big Amiga developers such as Travelers Tales, EA, Peter Molyneux (Bullfrog/Lionhead), DMA Design (Rockstar), etc. openly express their  preference to develop for 360 over the others.
Retro gamers say the 360 is a better platform for classic games and remakes.  People like Jeff Minter rant that Xbox 360 users are all just a bunch of retro Amiga gamers.

I think I can poke holes in all the arguments.  The bottom line is that no game console is Amiga-like.  If you want to play Sensible Soccer or Worms, you will never get the same feel on your console – even a 360 - as you get from an original Amiga.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
Terse:

HE DOESNT CARE IF ITS AMIGA LIKE!  He wants a FREAKIN CONSOLE TO PLAY GAMES ON.

Quit being so annoying, not everybody thinks about the Amiga all the time.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 09:11:41 PM »
xbox 360 hands down.  The games selection on the PS3 sucks, if you get the bottom line one no backwards compatability (can be fixed with software if you can get it).  Xbox Live is way better than the playstation online servers.  I definately say 360 over PS3.  Cheers!!!

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 09:45:49 PM »
To throw more logs in the fire...

Xbox 360 anyday.  Even if PS3 has a decent game selection, id much prefer the 360 version due to the fact I know the online experience will be better.  Doesnt matter which console spits more power, its a matter of what game preference people have.

About the only titles id care to play on PS3 is if they ever finish Final Fantasy 7 and the next Tekken game. Either then that, no thank you.  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Gwion

• Show only replies by Gwion
    • http://www.freewebs.com/commodoreamiga
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 09:58:30 PM »
@kd7ota

100% agree!!
Also you MUST have a HDTV for a PS3 and the 360 is HD and ED compatible!
Im my opinion Xbox 360 its a much more popular platform and the PS3 aint doin well (more GBA's are being sold than them)
And BlueRay are expensive to make and thats a reason a few software developers havent chosen the PS3 but instead the Xbox 360
Desperate To Get An Amiga 1200!

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 10:40:17 PM »
@Gwion

PS3 works on regular TV's dude.

@Anyone

First off...if you want a TEMPORARY console and waste your money for the future.................then get an X-Box 360..........this would be the same as wasting your money and getting HD-DVD as your format of Choice......................PS3 and Blue-Ray are gonna win...............watch and see.

Not only that.....but the PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2, and am willing to bet the the PS4 will be backwards compatible.

This is what makes it Amiga-Like.....including its functinality and PROPER way of functioning.

I am extrememly sad that Jeff Minter chose to work with MicroSoft for the Music Visuals on the X-Box.

on top of that....personally I could never understand why "So called Amigans" would support Microsoft...............I never in my entire life bought anything Microsoft and I do it on purpose................the only thing I did buy very recently was a very very nice looking Microsoft mouse............wich I TOTALLY regretted!  it was a cheap imitation of Logitech wireless mice!

What PURE 100% concentrated Caca!

If Microsoft stuck to OFFICE and WORD and just applications.......then I would pay for that............they make good applications..............everything else including their OS's are Caca to the 3rd power multiplied by 15.

X-Box is one of the nicest jobs they have ever done.............but the PS3 is better to own for sure. Its a lovely device.................that said..I absolutely hate Sony.....they are scammers and a half and pusposely make electronics that they will make you buy multiple times!...the same item! Like releasing a PSP in the beginning without Video OUT on purpose....so that they can make another PSP and make you buy it again just for the Video OUT..........Apple does the same thing.........THe New I-PODS require a special $50 cable to get it to have Video OUT rather than opt for the old Radio SHack cable.

Well..come to think of it.........Commodore loved doing the same too!  Tried to release the A1000 with only 256k of RAM!  Continued releasing repackaged Amigas in a new case with the same OCS chips

but anyway............X-Box 360 is a Temporary console...........most people wont have it in the future when the next Gen console comes out.

Look at the PS2 Folks!  still alive as heck!  and where is the original X-Box????

same will happen to MicroSofts HD-DVD............

Sony has rarely ever won a Format war because of all their Stupid inventions and attempts at proprietary-ness.........MiniDisc and MemoryStick for one...as well as BETA............all stupid formats trying to throw a stick into society.

they all failed! SO im not so happy about Blue Ray, but I prefer it over HD-DVD.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 10:46:59 PM »
here is the definitive "WHY" you should not buy an xbox360

xbox360 hw is bad quality and break all the time, m$ is now on their 4 or 5 revision of the hw. now thats alot and i would call it beta hw, and you the user is the beta tester. other thing is most people say it got more games but how you gonna play them if your consol constantly break down?....

then you have the jet engine fan noise, i hear you say turn up the sound. thats a lousy solution and will only pester the rest of the family or disturb the neighbour. and when you buy that hd-dvd addition that jet engine fan noise is a very good thing to have i guess....

when it comes to playing online your paying for usage of your own connection twice, yes m$ dont have any servers for any games so you pay for a worthless thing that you allrerady have. the online shop is just another useless thing, everything you find there you can find on the internet for free(game demos,music videos,movies,game remakes etc), thats a fact!

now everyone remember xbox1 it was a good consol with quality and it was better than ps2. but m$ ended its life early, to early if you ask me(look at the ps2 now). m$ will kill of the xbox360 also when they got the new whatever consol...

thats pretty much sums it up i would say... everything is not about the games, so dont fall into the game trap, it is just not worth it in the end...

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 10:49:26 PM »

mikrucio wrote:
LOL at the last post. quote "im not an xbox fan"
HAHAHA. you sound just like one...

Read my post again, I said I'm not a Microsoft fan.

blu-ray sales are 4:1 compares to HDDVD. and the xbox doesnt even have a HDDVD drive.(it's an option that many wont take)

I don't know many people who play movies on their console. It is irrelevant, it is a games console, for games. The Wii doesn't play HD or Blue Ray either, yet that is constantly sold out.

Soon games will come out on multiple DVD's for the xbox.

I doubt it but so what if they did? A lot of Amiga games came on multiple floppies, its no big deal.

THE XBOX360 is LOUD! be warned.

It's no louder than the average PC, and I think most people by now have got used to the subtle fan noise you hear from a PC. That is all you hear from a 360.
It is nowhere near as bad as the original PS2's IMO.
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 10:51:16 PM »
alot of non-facts have crawled up in this thread.
Im not going to correct them. simply because I dont give a crap if you buy an Xbox or a PS3.

Iv given my opinion. it's educated. which cant be said for many of the previous posts.

my closing comment is:
Microsoft HAVE shot themselves in the head for not including a next gen optical drive. so have nintendo.

And all logic states blu-ray will prevail.

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 10:57:51 PM »
I agree Blue-Ray is already winning the battle if you ask me. But this thread is about games consoles used for their primary purpose of playing games.
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:21 PM »
I'd go for the Xbox 360 if it was me. There's games I enjoy on it, and I haven't yet figured out what I myself would do with a PS3.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 11:04:52 PM »
My 8 year old son wanted Lego Star Wars:  The Complete Saga for Christmas, so I looked at buying him a console to play it on.  The 3 main choices were the Wii, Playstation 3 and the X-Box360.  I was actually leaning towards the X-Box360 as I had seen the Halo 4 special edition pack for $499... but then I did some research:

The Wii looked like a fun, cheap option at $249, but it is sold out everywhere.

The X-Box360 looked like a good buy until I discovered that it just has a bog standard DVD drive and you have to add the HD Drive for extra cash and it had a reputation for mechanical problems.

I finally ordered him the Playstation 3.  The 40GB version doesn't have PS2 compatability, so I opted for the 80GB version which does.  It came with some driving game, a Blue Ray DVD player (which will come in handy on my plasma TV) and I bought the Star Wars game extra.  I also bought an extra wireless controller, a memory card adapter (needed to use PS2 memory cards for saving PS2 games) and a DVD remote for a total of $625 including shipping.  Oh, and I get to order 5 free Blue Ray DVDs too (from a small list of options).
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 12, 2007, 11:08:27 PM »
@Darrin

you did a very good decision there... :)