Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First (?) call for Micro$oft to abandon Vista.  (Read 6822 times)

Description:

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
Re: First (?) call for Micro$oft to abandon Vista.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
Whats wrong with you people retarded? Why always look down on windows not that the mac os is so problem free either its just that everyone used to be an amiga user now is a mac fanboy . I use both or even all 3 and have no problem getting my older software "games" too run in vista you only have to try . Think of it simmilair to ajusting stack in amiga software it does not always work from scratch. Win vista has some major improvements as i can see in it  may seem "bloated ofcource" but not meant for a 50mhz motorola.

The thing is some belive their PIII to last forever..Aint gonna happen and as for mac os i prefere windows at leased the mainstream apps and games are made for it..

As Vista loosing foot for OSX i rather see ubuntu please at leased it is free fun and limited source..
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 08:22:39 PM »
I did try Vista... for like 3 days... then decided to buy a Macbook Pro and upgrade to Leopard...

Arrived last week - played around quite a bit and installed things like neoOffice, netbeans, etc...  today installed Basilisk with Mac OS 8 :p
Tomorrow will look into installing AUE :-)

Not looking back at windows at all.

@adoney: I tried Vista on my Core 2 Duo 6600 with 2gb of mem.... not on any old machine...

nuff said
Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline arkanoid

• Show only replies by arkanoid
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »

adonay wrote:
Whats wrong with you people retarded? Why always look down on windows not that the mac os is so problem free either its just that everyone used to be an amiga user now is a mac fanboy

that's very presumptuous. as far as I'm concerned, MacOS and Apple are on the same rack as MicroSoft and Vista. They both have plans to invade our personal computers and dictate what we can and can't do on our systems. MacOS is also infested with DRM (aka: SpyWare)

I take offense against any coporate entity that attempts to invade my personal space and I consider my personal computer PERSONAL. No one has the right to tell me what I can and can't do with it. No one has the right to "track" my actions, it's absurd.

Btw, I actually LIKE XP. It's a relatively unintrusive and solid OS that gives no problems. Vista however is the begining of something I do not wish to see in an OS.
Peg2/G4/MorphOS
Amiga A1200/060

Offline AndrewBell

• Show only replies by AndrewBell
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 08:34:05 PM »

motorollin wrote:
What Apple *must* do if they really want to shift people over from the Windows camp, is to capitalise on the features that Macs *share* with Windows, to prove to people that they can make the transition relatively easily, and then advertise the advantages that Mac OS X has over Windows. If they do that, I believe they can gain a much more significant share of the market, and maybe even push MS out.

Why cheer on Apple? They are as bad as MS, look how they have used the DRM of iTunes and the iPod to keep customers locked into their brand.

The main difference between the two is that Apple are mainly hardware providers and MS are mainly software providers. Apple also provide some software, and MS also do some hardware. It's also widely documented that Steve Jobs is just as big a cnut as Gates.

As for the OS, OSX isn't my idea of perfection, it's just Unix with a nice frontend. At least with Vista, you can choose a cheap low end laptop to run it on. OSX needs Apple hardware, unless you resort to hacks. Ubuntu/Linux/GNU/any other distro lacks continuity and standardisation. Given that those are the only choices for the forseeable future, then the future is very bleak.
________
HERBALAIRE
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:35:16 AM by AndrewBell »
Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire.

Offline little

• Show only replies by little
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 08:35:34 PM »

adonay wrote:
Whats wrong with you people retarded?

Have you ever heard the joke about the guy that hears on his car radio the voice of the news guy on the helicopter "I cannot believe my eyes, there is a moron driving on the wrong side of main street" and the guy says "what do you mean one? there are lots of them!!!".

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »
Around here, Vista sells for about 20 bucks less than XP. That     must say something. ;-)  Personally, I'm waiting for REACTOS to hit the beta 0.5 level.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 09:11:18 PM »
I'm not interested in the politics of which is worse out of Apple or MS. I'm interested in how well my computer works. And my computer works better with OSX than any computer I have ever had with Windows. The DRM of iTunes/iPod is not an issue for me, since I buy all of my music on CDs. Also, Apple have already recognised that DRM is undesirable, which is why they are offering DRM-free downloads from the iTunes store. The fact that certain music companies won't allow Apple to do this with their music says more about the music industry than Apple.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 09:19:51 PM »
I use Vista Enterprise and have no real complaints except that the screen saver has issues and locks up when you have an Anti Virus program running.  Other than that no probs.  I havent used the latest OSX but do have 10.4 on my Imac and I cant really say it is any better, and actually like Vista better than it.  Ubuntu is ok If we are talking Linux I would say SUSE or Mandrake are better.  Cheers

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 09:20:48 PM »
I had Vista on a dell laptop I bought.  Stayed on there for a few months until I got fed up of stuff that should fly on it running loke a dog.

Put XP on there instead as still had a dell XP disk from my last laptop.  It was like habing a new super duper laptop

Runs like a dream.  

Forgot tyrying to run Vista with anything less than 2GB of ram.

Saying that I had Vista on my Dual Core AMD 4200+ with 2GB of ram and it crawled on there too.

XP in my opinion is the best OS they have made, yes even better then Win2K.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Damion

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 09:33:16 PM »

No one has the right to tell me what I can and can't do with it. No one has the right to "track" my actions, it's absurd.

Can't say I agree with this. As with anything else, there's no such thing as 100% unregulated freedom. Corporate entities (the ones who make your computer a reality) are naturally going to protect their interests. (The extent of which will no doubt be a topic of debate.)

In regard to the rest of the thread, I offer my predictions:

MS will not "drop" Vista

Apple will not "push" MS out of the market anytime soon, Macs may do "email and internet" just like MS, but at 2x the $$$ and 2x less the software library

MS will remain the standard for many years to come

And a few general opinions/observations:

This same topic came up re Win98 vs NT, and it's just as ridiculous now as it was then

XP is suddenly "fantastic" on the forum, when it's usually derided as the biggest piece of crap ever???

Offline little

• Show only replies by little
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 09:47:18 PM »

-D- wrote:
XP is suddenly "fantastic" on the forum, when it's usually derided as the biggest piece of crap ever???

It is the same thing as oil prices. Back when they were at $60 per barrel it was "biggest piece of crap ever", but when it gets up to $100 per barrel, then $60 seems "fantastic"

Offline Orjan

• Show only replies by Orjan
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 09:54:15 PM »
A friend of mine bought a new computer about two months ago. It had vista on it, and gee wizz, it sure wasnt as user-friendly as either of us had hoped.

For starters, he was going to copy all his files from his old computer he wanted to keep to his new computer via a router. Even though the router had DHCP activated and Vista aquired the IP number, he still had to call me and spend about 45 minutes on the phone before we had figured out how to work it.

After that, he installed his favourite game, Battlefield 2. The installation went fine, but when he started the game it displayed the EA logo and then immediatly exited to windows again. No error message or anything.

When I went over to see if I could help him I found Vista to be very hard to understand at times. Often messages like "An unexpected event is about to take place which requires your attention. Would you like more information?" (or something to that effect, don´t remember the exact words) appeared leaving us both confused.

In the end, after having no luck in getting BF2 to run, and a bunch of other problems, he wiped vista and installed XP.

I´m staying far away from vista as long as I can, and have even started thinking about getting a Mac. :)
\\"Memory is like an orgasm. It\\\'s a lot better if you don\\\'t have to fake it.\\"
- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory.

Offline arkanoid

• Show only replies by arkanoid
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 09:56:20 PM »

little wrote:
It is the same thing as oil prices. Back when they were at $60 per barrel it was "biggest piece of crap ever", but when it gets up to $100 per barrel, then $60 seems "fantastic"

oh come on now, as with anything else, there's no such thing as reasonably priced oil. Even if it is the foundation of our civilization and everyone's day-to-day living depends on it. Corporate entities are naturally going to exploit our dependence on it, create artificial scarcity in supply and hike-up the cost of oil - if they think they can get away with it (which apparently they can). Can't blame them for protecting their interests, even if it is at our expense.:roll:
Peg2/G4/MorphOS
Amiga A1200/060

Offline ShawnDude

• Show only replies by ShawnDude
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 10:00:22 PM »
Not that I like Vista or even glad that Microsoft exists, but I just haven't had any of the major problems that others have had with it.  As for DRM, no problem with it at all. I am still able to rip my CDs, DVDs and HD DVDs to my hard drive and play them perfectly fine from there.  I have had some issues with older software not working properly with it or older hardware not working with it, but that is somewhat understandable (out with the old in with the new). Been using it on the office computer since February and at home since June for the desktop and August with the laptop.  Now of course these were prebuilt systems which I had to remove all of the garbage they put on them (other than Vista guys) and put on my perferred antivirus and such on. They run fairly smoothly.

And yes, I built 2 custom systems for my boss's kids that they wanted Vista on and everything works great there too.

Yeah, I don't like the "spying" issue, but that's a part of life now and in the future. Random listening in on phone calls. GPS on cell phones, ONSTAR/LOJACK for vehicle tracking. Stores recording your purchase history when using checks, credit cards, debit cards, etc. Cameras througout the cities. And many many more ways that they are already keeping an eye on you.

As long as your are not doing anything illegal, you don't have much to worry about. Now you may argue privacy and identity theft can be at a risk with this, it can, but it is already at a risk anyway if your information is recorded anywhere (work, bank, doctors, etc).

Biggest thing to protect yourself is be aware of your surroundings, don't click on those messages claiming you just won a big screen tvs or such. Don't click on links in emails requesting account updates, go directly the the site manually and check.

Not sure why I said all of that, but anyway....

DOWN WITH VISTA!!  :lol:

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 10:26:05 PM »
    I still use Win 98 ! It supplies all my needs in the PC world, with very few exceptions.For software that doesn't work with it, I can always use the Linux version.
    Win 98 is really fast with my Semprom. XP would be just acceptable. Besides this, it is way smaller...
    I'm really impressed with Leopard. I would love to have a new Mac, but those machines are really expensive here, and there is no reason for that. I can't understand why Apple doesn't sells OS X to PC's. Macs are just ordinary PCs now!
    They would probably make more money doing that, as many people still have problems using Linux. Mac OS is really simple to use, and there is no way to get rid of the shell in Linux (althrough I know some guys that love it  :-? )
    I'll wait for Aros. They are doing a great job with that.  :-D

Offline Orjan

• Show only replies by Orjan
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 08, 2007, 10:27:20 PM »
As long as your are not doing anything illegal, you don't have much to worry about.

I hate that saying.. It somehow "justifies" that the government/Microsoft/whoever, can look inte everyones personal lives whichever way they please.

Picture a random city in a random country, and it is sometime in the future. A family is sitting down to watch an episode of the 65th season of "The Simpsons" on their HV (HoloVision). A camera mounted in the ceiling slowly pans around, recording everything.
Suddenly, there is a knock on the door. The man in the family opens it. A man claiming to be a police oficer asks if he can rummage through the familys drawers and closets.

The man of the family answers:
-"Sure, go right ahead. I have nothing to hide, and I don´t mind you folks looking inte every little detail of our life every day. I sure do appreciate your hard work to keep our country safe from terrorists."

Would YOU let someone search your closets and drawers under the pretext of freedom and security with a smile on your face?
\\"Memory is like an orgasm. It\\\'s a lot better if you don\\\'t have to fake it.\\"
- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory.