Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First (?) call for Micro$oft to abandon Vista.  (Read 6844 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
First (?) call for Micro$oft to abandon Vista.
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:12:27 PM »
HERE.

The road ahead looks dangerous for Vista and Microsoft must realize that. With Mac OS X hot on its tail, Vista is simply not capable of competing at an OS level with some of the best software around. If Microsoft continues down this path, it will be Vista that will bring the software giant to its knees--not Bill Gates' departure.

Of course, categorically dumping an operating system is quite difficult and with millions already using the OS, chances are Microsoft won't find a good enough reason to do it. And while I can understand that argument, there's no reason the company can't continue to support Vista and go back to the drawing board for its next OS. Even better, go back to XP--it's not nearly as bad as Vista.

As a daily user of Mac OS X, Ubuntu and Vista, I'm keenly aware of what works and what doesn't. Mac and Linux work.

The time is up. Microsoft must abandon Vista and move on. It's the company's only chance at redemption.

Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: First (?) call for Micro$oft to abandon Vista.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:18:48 PM »

As a daily user of Mac OS X, Ubuntu and Vista, I'm keenly aware of what works and what doesn't. Mac and Linux work.

This is not true. Vista works. The software does not work with Vista ;-)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 05:29:48 PM »
Well, I'm not too impressed with Vista either.  I bought a desktop for my som so that she could play Diablo 2 with his sister over the network only to find that the software is broken on Vista.  If that wasn't bad enough, my son then wated to install another game on his machine only to get a "does not work with Vista" message.  Fortunately for me, I had an older and similar version of the same tower and managed to get it to take my OEM WindowsXP disk with no validation problems (However, Vista did it's best to refuse to allow XP to be installed and I finally used an only Win98 CD to give me access to DOS in order to format Vista's lame ass out of existance!).

Today I took delivery of a Gateway laptop.  After strating it up and going through the usual mall-ware setup crap and never ending "click to accept" screens I was told that my Windows Vista Premium code was not valid and to reenter it.  I renentered the code off the sticker and went online to validate only to be told that it was not a genuine Vista installation.  One of the options online support - that failed.  Then I tried the telephoen support and spent 10 minutes with an automated service to get a confirmation number which didn't work.  Then I got live tech support from Microsoft (some Indian chap... from India!) who asked me all sorts of questions about my ownership of the machine before finally giving me a endless stream of numbers to typing in.  Afetr rebooting I got a message saying it wasn't genuine and some features would be disabled.  I tried to vaidate it online and was told that it was an invalid copy and I should contact Microsoft.  I rebooted again to find the "non genuine" message, revalidated online and this time I was told everything was OK.  Rebooted one more time and everything was rosy!!!

Sheesh, I'm not looking forward to doing a reinstallion on this machine!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 05:36:30 PM »

Darrin Wrote:
Sheesh, I'm not looking forward to doing a reinstallion on this machine!

Reinstallation will be fine just as long as you are (re)installing it with a version of Linux :-D
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline hamtronix

• Show only replies by hamtronix
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 05:44:26 PM »
I use vista everyday. I play games and do graphic/DTP. No major problems so far...
CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

Offline AndrewBell

• Show only replies by AndrewBell
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:48:22 PM »
It doesn't matter how big the next Microsoft OS is, or how many pointless search fields they put into the GUI. It won't matter how many BluRay/HD-DVD discs it needs or how many security flaws it has. The majority of people using MS products are indifferent or clueless about any alternatives, and will continue to go with the herd.

Microsoft won the war years ago. There future rule is secured. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
________
SUZUKI DR650
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:34:57 AM by AndrewBell »
Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire.

Offline little

• Show only replies by little
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 06:01:33 PM »

AndrewBell wrote:
The majority of people using MS products are indifferent or clueless about any alternatives, and will continue to go with the herd.

Never subestimate gamers, there will be no home pc market without them. Maybe they will not install Linux, but I am sure there was a perturbation in the force, as if millions of vista installations suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced with XP. :-D

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 06:02:07 PM »
the only way Microsoft will ever lose the OS war at this point is if they fail to dominate a major technology change in computing.

For example, If something new comes along that they fail to see as important

Examples: The internet & internet searching, smart phones,

Offline darule

• Show only replies by darule
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 06:04:01 PM »
If only Commodore would've survived....  if only...

The laptop from my missus has Vista on it, she loves it. But only because of the new GUI and the new graphical features of solitaire..  *sigh*

I had it installed on my PC for about 24 hours. I do not appreciate constant hard disk grinding, numerous popups telling me what not do. I've tested MacOSX for a while and compared to Windows it's way better and I'm not talking about games which obviously don't work on a Mac.

Yes I use XP and that's only because I put myself inside this stupid circle. For me the time has come to say goodbye to the PC and welcome Mac. Perhaps a small partition for XP as the new Macs are Intel based. Which is a shame by itself by the way.  :-D

An operating system should be as basic as possible, it's there to serve the programs, not the other way around. Commodore and Apple knew that, back then.

A bloated head isn't good for your health, a bloated operating system isn't good for your computer (performance).

I'll stop now.  :madashell:    :-D  :-D
Proud Amiga owner since 1989

Offline AndrewBell

• Show only replies by AndrewBell
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 07:18:52 PM »

spihunter wrote:
the only way Microsoft will ever lose the OS war at this point is if they fail to dominate a major technology change in computing.

For example, If something new comes along that they fail to see as important

Examples: The internet & internet searching, smart phones,

Microsoft are the masters of failing to see the importance of new technologies. Bill Gates failed to realise the value of the internet, thinking CD-ROM would be the ultimate software distribution method for decades.

They missed the digital media player market, their Zune will never be as popular as the iPod.

They missed the search engine/social networking opportunities of recent years.

Microsoft are so big they can afford to make mistakes that would leave lesser companies bankrupt. They have gone from competing in the DOS market to dominating the OS, application and gaming markets. The only mistake they need to worry about is Bill losing his ATM card.
________
MAZDA 929 HISTORY
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:35:09 AM by AndrewBell »
Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire.

Offline spookyx

• Show only replies by spookyx
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:01:10 PM »
I have a newer PC
pent 4 3 ghz
2 gig ram etc,

kubuntu for my main os.  windows 2k  for the few times I need windows
spookyx

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 08:12:49 PM »
AndrewBell wrote:
It doesn't matter how big the next Microsoft OS is, or how many pointless search fields they put into the GUI. It won't matter how many BluRay/HD-DVD discs it needs or how many security flaws it has. The majority of people using MS products are indifferent or clueless about any alternatives, and will continue to go with the herd.

Microsoft won the war years ago. There future rule is secured. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

I disagree. Apple are penetrating the computer market more and more. Very often people see me working on my MacBook and make a comment like "oh that's one of those Macs isn't it. They're supposed to be better than a PC* aren't they? They don't crash as much or get viruses".

*By PC, of course, they mean a PC running Windows.

So people are already aware that there is an alternative. Unfortunately most people don't realise that it is a *viable* alternative, since their comments are usually followed by "But I need XP for Word" or "Can I use the Internet on that?" or "I need a computer I can read my email on".

What Apple *must* do if they really want to shift people over from the Windows camp, is to capitalise on the features that Macs *share* with Windows, to prove to people that they can make the transition relatively easily, and then advertise the advantages that Mac OS X has over Windows. If they do that, I believe they can gain a much more significant share of the market, and maybe even push MS out.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline arkanoid

• Show only replies by arkanoid
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 08:13:16 PM »
Vista is a taste of MicroSoft's future plans and things certainly won't get better come the next incarnation of Windows, I can assure you. Inch-by-inch, they're going to dupe the sheep into accepting their trusted "Trusted Computing" philosophy, which basically means everything you do on YOUR computer within YOUR OWN home will be monitored and pretty much every action you make recorded and transmitted back to "HQ"...in one form or another. But ofcourse, all this intrusion into activity on your system is for your own security, to protect you from viruses and evil paedophiles.

Why is Vista slow compared to XP? Because of all the behind the scenes snooping going on. Try inserting a BlueRay disk and running certain video recording apps at the same time. You'll be told that you're "not allowed".

Things are going to get worse as far as "Intrusive Computing" is concerned and when they finally dupe the public into beleiving we need Internet2, this intrusion of our day to day computing life will only be compounded. Welcome to the wonderful world of Big Brother!

This sums the future of computing up nicely

Might aswell watch this while you're at it ;)
Peg2/G4/MorphOS
Amiga A1200/060

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 08:15:03 PM »
I was surprised to read this article on news.com.

Vista's ridiculous version schemes, hardware overhead and DRM turned me off too. Never took another look at it.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
Whats wrong with you people retarded? Why always look down on windows not that the mac os is so problem free either its just that everyone used to be an amiga user now is a mac fanboy . I use both or even all 3 and have no problem getting my older software "games" too run in vista you only have to try . Think of it simmilair to ajusting stack in amiga software it does not always work from scratch. Win vista has some major improvements as i can see in it  may seem "bloated ofcource" but not meant for a 50mhz motorola.

The thing is some belive their PIII to last forever..Aint gonna happen and as for mac os i prefere windows at leased the mainstream apps and games are made for it..

As Vista loosing foot for OSX i rather see ubuntu please at leased it is free fun and limited source..
A1200 ACA 1230