Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shifting the Sands of the TradeMark...  (Read 8496 times)

Description:

Offline HMetal

• Show only replies by HMetal
Re: William Hamilton Buck, the saviour?
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2003, 03:10:12 AM »
More flip-flopping and games?

The key here is in Buck's recent postings are from an old e-mail dialog he posted, where he says "we will use the Amiga community as early adopters."  Key word -> USE.      Happy riding on the roller coaster.  I just hope you don't fall out. :-)

And two (or so) weeks ago it was "we are no longer interested in Amiga nor its trademarks." :roll:

What will it be next week?  Takeover of Microsoft?  :lol:

Wake me up when something interesting happens.

...Lemmings anyone?

Edit:  Amiga has first use.  All Amiga need do is challenge the application and it's dead and, AFAIK, this is already in progress.
Ray A. Akey / AKA HMetal

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2003, 03:25:00 AM »
OK, this is new to me.  Just who the heck is William H. Buck?  Never heard of the person.  An Amigan?  An opportunist?  Who or what?

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2003, 03:39:04 AM »
William Hamilton Buck is presumably the full name of the guy we all know as Bill Buck, aka bbrv.

William → Bill, drop the middle name (like 90% of people do) and there you go!  :-D

Why do parents bother to give their kids middle names anyway? no-one I've ever met uses them...

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2003, 03:45:47 AM »

HMetal wrote:
The key here is in Buck's recent postings are from an old e-mail dialog he posted, where he says "we will use the Amiga community as early adopters."  Key word -> USE.

Ray?

When you stick your foot in your mouth, it's usually to the knee it seems.  

I would have thought you much too intelligent to accuse ANYONE of USING the community when that's ALL that Amiga Inc has done since it's inception...  You realize that, right?  As a matter of fact, Bill McEwen stated the same sentence to me in June of 2000 when he made me the job offer, so on this one, you've simply made yourself look more stupid than normal.

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2003, 04:16:31 AM »
yep A.inc's product AmigaDE in my opinon was the most blatent use of this community for totally unrelated products I've ever seen... AmigaDE has very little to do with AmigaOS let alone the commodore amiga line of computers... thats my opinon of it...and for amiga.inc voulenteers to claim otherwise is absurd...

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2003, 05:03:15 AM »
Sorry for removing my own post.. but, it looked as if I had confused what HMetal was saying with something of a different topic.  If you saw, I apologize. :-)

Regards,
Targhan

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2003, 05:06:43 AM »
If i remember correctly, now hardware is called an Amiga. There is the AmigaOne. And there is OS4, together you coudl argue that this makes up an Amiga.

But according to the tradmark (i guess thats a description that the owner appends to it, therefor its able to be changed)  Amiga has nothing to do with hardware. Only software.

So really, AmigaOnes and OS4 isnt an Amiga, its an AmigaOne and AmigaOS4. Those tradmarks may still be active...
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2003, 05:13:19 AM »
Certainly a possibility.
"The Name" means a lot to a lot of people.

Refer to  'OS/2 Warp' vs 'Windows 95/NT' war as an example. People just look for “Designed for Windows” logo when purchasing Windows software.

Now, to all intents and purposes, Pegasos is an Amiga - at least as much (or more) of an Amiga than the A1 is.

Except for the source code access.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline WarPiper

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2003, 07:05:01 AM »
I say the hell with the AMIGA name becuase it has done nothing but turn people off for years, the average person now-a-days dont even know what and amiga is. My know-it-all A+ teacher didn't know what it is, I said AMIGA, he replied "Omica?" I said no, AMIGA, he said "Omega" then I had to spell it out A M I G A, he said "oh, never heard of it" then proceded to ask me about it, I started to describe it he had some interest, we were talking about me possibly bringing one in to class, untill I showed him a Picture of My A4000 with my 1200 and 500 sitting next to each other, he seen the name C= commodore A4000/040 and C= commodore A1200 and C= commodore A500 with the word emblazend on the case's AMIGA, "OOOH, ITS A COMODORE" comes from his mouth, he rememberd the C64 and 128d and knew of Commodore's death, and asked for the long story, AFTER HEARING ME DRONE ON AND ON ABOUT COMMODORE, ESCOM, VISCORP, GATEWAY, JIM COLLAS,  AND NOW AMIGA INC, HYPERION, AND EYETECH, I STARTED TO SEE HIS EYES KINDA CROSS AS IF HE WAS WATCHING THE ROOM SPIN, THEN HE LOST TOTAL INTEREST IN AMIGA EVERYTHING AND DID NOT EVEN WANT TO SEE THE A4000 SYSTEM THAT WE HAD DISCUSED ME BRINGING IN.

The name Amiga is Associated to commodore to the outside world that may still remember the Amiga, and thats not good because they dont want to waist their money on a system that nobody can seem to keep in business.  When people spend money, they like to know for sure what they are getting, and that seems to be an impossibility with AMIGA
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline WarPiper

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2003, 07:58:09 AM »
ok just for the hell of it, here is something off topic

I just liked it and thought you guys might also

Moderated: Obsence, Remember this is a PG site.

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2003, 08:11:33 AM »
yep warface... pretty sad but very true about that... people hear commodore and they think of Pong, the early 80's and financial disaster with a dash of al hage mixed in to bring back the reagan years, it isnt exactly a good combo... amiga isnt a warm word to most people and I think the name itself is cursed.

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2003, 08:51:17 AM »
...well that is interesting WarPiper.  I guess we can assume you are "regimental" in your kilt after that image...

About this thread...

1. WHB is the name my parents gave me.  "bbrv" is the user name associated with most of the email addresses that we have.  BB is Bill Buck; Raquel Velasco and I are partners, in work and life.  We are married.  She is the better half and set up the first account.

2. There are not any egomaniacs coming from the Genesi side of the fence.  Contrary, to what one might want to believe Raquel and I are online here and in other places to do a job.  Of course, we are motivated by a dream that we have about computers and the Internet, but that is another story.  :-)

3. Our statements publicly about the Amiga Community have been consistent since we reappeared back here in December 2000 at the Cologne Show.  We respect the talent here and saw in this Community an opportunity to build something new.  What we saw was that there was no direction and there was no support to speak off.  The Amiga Community was like a rudderless ship.  We saw an opportunity.  Initially, we tried to work with Amiga Inc., but this unfortunately did not work out.  Amiga Inc. has not even taken care of something so important as there own trademarks.  Sorry to sound harsh, but that omission is worse than incompetence, it is lunacy!  We may or may not have success with that, but it was worth a shot (for whatever reason -- for some people it is important).  In life the present and the future are a better focus than the past.  New things require creation and like a good cook we had to have some of this and that to get the plat du jour to come out in a good way.  We are still cooking and preparing our best recipes for the future.... It is a step by step process.  Strategy is about maintaining a consistent vision in spite of life's obstacles.  Success comes through sharing that vision with others and getting a large group of like-minded people cooperating together to achieve an objective.  It seems things are moving the right way... :-D

4. Wayne, if you can change the name of this thread I would appreciate it.  There are many great people working toward the improvement and success of the Pegasos and MorphOS.  We cannot name everyone, but people like Gerald, Thomas, Ralph and Frank are the real engine behind the inspiration here, then there is Sharwin and Rakesh, The Crossbee guys (Emmanuel and Bernard in particular), the WebDev Team (Damien, Nate, Dave), Phoenix (greenboy, Gary, Clash and now Emil), and, and , and....there is a whole team of Core Developers for MorphOS (visit #morphos you will find a bunch of them there 24 hours a day seven days a week -- Emmanuel, David, Harry, CISC, Jacek, and many others) and a group of motivated young people working from the office in Paris (Sebastien, Bertrand, Nicholas B., another Nicolas S. and Nicolas D., Thierry, Mark, William).  Plus, there are many others working as consultants or part time on the project, like Andre, David, Juergen, Andy, and all the crazy guys in Poland who have as a group have as much motivation as anyone!  Then, there are all the motivated users...the Betatester mailing list has nearly 300 active subscribers (and many other readers...), guys like Magnetic, Kelly, Stefan and Bernie, Fabien, Jake, Treveur, Ron, Francisco....the list goes on and on and we just do not have the time in the moment to remember everyone (and some people just want to stay Anonymous! ...but there NOT cowards!).  Know this:  if the Pegasos and MorphOS is successful it will be because it WAS a COMMUNITY effort.

We will continue to do our best to support the Community and that means financially through salaries, license payments, advertising, etc., etc. -- anyway we can when we feel like it advances the overall effort.

Have to run.  Too many things to do today.  Please forgive us if we left off your name...when the Pegasos II is launched everyone will be mentioned by name!  You can be SURE of that!.

Sincerely,

R&B  :-)

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2003, 10:09:32 AM »
. Wayne, if you can change the name of this thread I would appreciate it. There are many great people working toward the improvement and success of the Pegasos and MorphOS

Sorry Bill, that was my fault. I was just browsing the Tradmarks and noticed that one of the Amiga Tradamrks was owned (applied for) by a William H. Buck, at first the name ment nothing, then a slow realisation that it was probably you, keeping your promise to apply for the Tradmark....

What would you preferas the title? -Pegasos- THe Saviour... of course you would ;-) (nothing like a bit of free advertising, eh?)

Thus, I thought other might enjoy that feeling :-D

anyway, tell me more about your internet based music store/label idea...  :-P

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2003, 10:52:12 AM »
@ HMetal

The key here is in Buck's recent postings are from an old e-mail dialog he posted, where he says "we will use the Amiga community as early adopters." Key word -> USE.

How naive do you really think we are? Look at Amiga Inc; why were they interested in the Amiga brand from the beginning? They had *exactly the same* motives as Genesi, but I mean, their primary product (Amiga DE or whatever it is called today) has NOTHING to do with Amiga as the community knows it!

I am one of the "Early Adopter" community members who bought myself a Pegasos (and I paid the full price and I am still happy about that :-)). I'll tell you what, I DON'T FEEL USED. I got what I wanted for such a long time, a brand new, NG Amiga system (without the name, but everything else)!

Now ask yourself this, how do you think that most of the community members that bought the $50 coupon feels? How do you think that Peck et al feels? How do you think that everyone that put trust and hope to Amiga Inc feels today?

BTW, it will be interesting to read the show reports from the AmiWest show. I guess *a lot* of people have *a lot* of questions to ask Bill McEwen, President/CEO Amiga, Inc. He IS coming, right? It was his initiative to put that message on the amiga.com site, and not someone elses?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline WarPiper

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2003, 06:32:37 PM »
@ meerschaum

Yoda says "Cursed the amiga name it is"

oh and its W a r P i p e r, hehe, I dont know how its possible to get me confused with Warface, after all he looks nowhere near as good I do.

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 16, 2003, 08:04:45 PM »
Bill,

I've been meaning to ask you for a while now, and I never got 'round to it, but this MorphOS 1.4 to be released at AmiWest, would you describe it as being 'Y2K' compliant?

I assume bbrv, is always Bill...there is just no way someone named Raquel Valesco is hanging around in an Amiga BBS...c'mon ...'nuff said.

alright <--me going back to work now