Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sold out for osx and wow  (Read 4039 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Sold out for osx and wow
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 08:24:18 PM »
@Doobrey

On capable hardware I have no doubt OSX performs very well, just not at work on the machine I have to use.

Still, for a while I had to use OSX 10.2 on an original iMac 400MHz G3 with 128MB, I was close to punching that every day ;-)

One of my principal gripes with OSX relate to my super evovled next generation colour perception and the fact that OSX still doesn't let me define "highlighted text foreground colour = X, highlighted text background colour = Y". You may only set the background colour or invert the whole scheme (as part of the accessibility options - :lol:)

I mean, how elementally simple is that? I know it is mac tradition to limit the complexity of the interface so that even the interior designer types can get to grips with it, but please, even they can grasp the idea of more than one colour at a time :lol:

As for the local fileserver (OSX Server) dying to the point of total non bootability because file permissions may have been messed up (despite only allowing remote access to the staff), that is just pathetic. When informed that 'you did keep an eye on permissions and repaired them to keep it all tickety boo' by my local mac expert I was aghast. I mean wow, I have to remember to fix problems that shouldn't really arise anyway and before they do?

It was just a local file repository on the LAN with individual user accounts, none of which had any kind of permission to access stuff outside their home folder. How could it get so corrupted in the first place :-?

Hence my sentiment now: "Don't be fooled by the glitz of OSX, some day it is going to come and bite you hard on the arse."
int p; // A

Offline yetihw

• Show only replies by yetihw
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 08:33:45 PM »
Yeah, I got a g4 1 ghz w/ 1gig ram os 10.4.3
it is a very nice machine I love it it does everything I need it too, the only complaint is its windows media player compatibility and its lack of responsiveness which is the main reason I'm saving for an os4 or morphos machine so I can have a sports car computer so to speak
Couldn\\\'t afford an amiga then can\\\'t afford one now.

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 09:35:46 PM »
@Jeff

Pick up a PC Geforce FX 5200 and flash it. You will probably need a friend with a PCI video card and a spare PC to flash it with. Made a night and day difference with my AGP 400 Sawtooth. In fact it can run WoW (albeit not playable in very populated areas) even though its 500MHz under min specs.

The GeForce will really make the machine sing at 533 and it will be gorgeous if you upgrade the CPU.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline nyteschayde

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 09:37:19 PM »
@Karlos

Oh Karlos you're so jaded. :P
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 10:09:42 PM »

nyteschayde wrote:
@Karlos

Oh Karlos you're so jaded. :P

Seeing as you're a mate I'll let you get away with that...

That and the fact it is so bloody true :lol: If I used them as a home machine I expect I'd be a lot less critical, but they have caused me a lot of needless headaches at work ;-)
int p; // A

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 12:21:50 AM »
I'm running OSX 10.3 on a Mac Mini w/ 512 mb ram. I find it to be pretty sluggish compared to both of my Wintel machines.

Sometimes it takes several seconds for windows to open after I  double click on them.

Nothing to this day is more responsive than my former A4000/060 Picasso 4. Everthing was instant on that machine.

Offline Jeff

• Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 12:31:28 AM »
@nyteschayde

I already picked up a Mac Radeon 8500 64 meg. Will the Geforce FX 5200 be better than that? The next thing I really need is the CPU upgrade.

Offline nyteschayde

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2005, 02:17:12 AM »
It will be better but not compared to the CPU. At this point a CPU upgrade will give you more desirable performance. The 8500 is a good card and in the future I still recommend getting the Geforce since its compatible with all the tiger effects that the 8500 may or may not be compatible with but its definitely good enough to give you hardware acceleration and the CPU will polish it off nicely.

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2005, 03:39:56 AM »
I went OS X this past summer and love it.  I got a new PB G4 1.67GHz 15" and a refurb iMac G5 17" and love using them all the time.  Tiger rocks.  I also have a PC though, a P4 3.2GHz with Radeon X800 256MB for compatibility.
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2005, 10:22:23 AM »
:angry: AAAArrgggghhh :angry:
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2005, 11:23:24 AM »
I would like to know, how do you 'feel' the responsiveness is with the G3 and OSX?

No clue, but on my Mac mini, when I click on anything, I have to wait for a fully-complete window to pop up.  Sometimes that takes a second, sometimes it takes 10.  A truly responsive computer will give you instant feedback, and fill-in details as thing get processed.

More memory in a mini speeds up the wait, but not the response.  I'd imagine a G3 would choke.

My mini came with OS 10.4, so I haven't tried 10.3.  It's worth pointing out that Tiger is a 12+ GB install.  The first Mac person to call XP "bloatware" will be promptly shot.

Karlos:  It was just a local file repository on the LAN with individual user accounts, none of which had any kind of permission to access stuff outside their home folder. How could it get so corrupted in the first place

I had to rebuild the desktops of my OS 8 newspaper machines about once a week.  I see Apple has made a lot of progress.

spihunter:  Sometimes it takes several seconds for windows to open after I double click on them.

Most of the time, Dock items won't even "bounce" on my machine to let me know the system is doing something.  It just sits there.

nyteschayde:   It will be better but not compared to the CPU. At this point a CPU upgrade will give you more desirable performance.

My mini feels a lot slower than the two G3/266 machines I bought for my school newspaper (the school would not allow me to buy anything but Mac hardware).  Like PC vendors, Apple puts too strong an emphasis on the CPU speed.

TjLaZer:  I also have a PC though, a P4 3.2GHz with Radeon X800 256MB for compatibility.

Whoa.  That's quite a compatibility system.  :-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2005, 11:52:25 AM »

Karlos wrote:
@Doobrey

One of my principal gripes with OSX relate to my super evovled next generation colour perception and the fact that OSX still doesn't let me define "highlighted text foreground colour = X, highlighted text background colour = Y". You may only set the background colour or invert the whole scheme (as part of the accessibility options - :lol:)

I mean, how elementally simple is that? I know it is mac tradition to limit the complexity of the interface so that even the interior designer types can get to grips with it, but please, even they can grasp the idea of more than one colour at a time :lol:

It seems someone at at Apple was listening to you... since I suffer a similar (if not the same) affliction, I also needed to change the highlighted text colour... so I went to system preferences and then selected appearance... lo and behold there is a setting in Tiger that allows one to set that very feature. :-D

Offline AntonioX

• Show only replies by AntonioX
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2005, 12:07:56 PM »
@Waccoon

I am sure you might have something wrong with your mac mini as I only have a G4 867 with 768mb ram and I dont find tiger slow at all, I also only have the standard GeForce 4 MX gfx card

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 12:25:08 PM »

bloodline wrote:

It seems someone at at Apple was listening to you... since I suffer a similar (if not the same) affliction, I also needed to change the highlighted text colour... so I went to system preferences and then selected appearance... lo and behold there is a setting in Tiger that allows one to set that very feature. :-D

That must be one of the 'dozens of updates' in Tiger then. Still stuck with 10.3.9 here and I sure don't have that option anywhere. Are you sure it lets you independently set the back and foreground text colours?

All I get is this:

-edit-

Thank god that was a png and not the tiff it saved as :-D
int p; // A

Offline MarkAshley

• Show only replies by MarkAshley
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005, 12:34:23 PM »
If you guys are having stability or speed problems with your OSX boxes/laptops then I feel for you, but I have to say that it must be a problem with your machine, as I am running the latest version of OSX on my iBook which is just a G4 1.4gig  with 256Mb RAM, and it absolutely flies. No waiting for anything to happen!

-- EDIT
Mumble mumble amiga mumble...
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000
All stuffed in to a D-BOX

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 16, 2005, 12:35:57 PM »
If it is a problem with the machine than that says it all. This is a completely "out of the box" eMac with the OS that shipped with it. Just as the server was an out of the box G4 workstation with nothing but OS X Server.

;-)
int p; // A