Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about Mediator bus board  (Read 892 times)

Description:

Offline zx6r6Topic starter

• Show only replies by zx6r6
Question about Mediator bus board
« on: February 23, 2005, 08:49:51 AM »
Hello all!

After being out the scene for a few years I decided to set up my miggy again. I didnt fancy having 2 monitors on my desktop so I've got it to work on my pc one by going through a kvm switch and an rgb to xga convertor. It works but the picture quality is..... a bit pants to be honest!

Being as scan doublers aren't readily available, I was thinking about getting a mediator sx bus board and gfx card. The question is will I still be able to use non-os compliant software (i.e. games!) through the card or will I have to keep swapping to my current solution.

my current setup:-
a1200 rev 2b
workbench 3.5
apollo 040/40 32mb
eyetech ez tower,soon to be mirage tower :)
power flyer gold (i think!)
52x cd rom
4gb h.disk

thanks for any help given!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Question about Mediator bus board
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 08:57:05 AM »
If your PC is running Win2k or XP, pop the miggy hard drive into it, and then run it using WinUAE :-)

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 09:13:38 AM »
correct me if I am  wrong, but you still need to swap using a switch or something OR buy a tv-card to use with mediator, and then open a tv prog to display the VHS signal.

I can't understand why they haven't put a videoslot or something similar on the mediator/g-rex and use some sort of overlay to display native amiga signal... wouldn't that be nice?

The only thing that keeps me from installing g-rex+voodoo3 is the switch problem...

Offline zx6r6Topic starter

• Show only replies by zx6r6
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 09:06:10 PM »
I have used winuae and have been generally impressed BUT I'd rather not use the pc. Not for any particular reason mind you, I'd just rather use the genuine article, I think you know what I mean!?

I had a result tonight! I thought of a different configuration I could try. I connected my miggy rgb scart lead to a scart to s-video converter which then went to my pc 9800 all in wonder card. Initially I had the same problem as all the other configurations I've tried i.e screen rolling, breaking up etc After about 10 minutes all of a sudden it started working! god knows why as I'd already tried all the standards available. It reminds me of the old 'tube' tellys that needed to warm up first!
anyway, it works albeit through the pc.

now where did I put Carrier Command...... :)

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 12:35:58 AM »
Thinking out loud. . . . Most (almost all) PCI display adapters are VGA-compatible (not concerned about VGA BIOS extensions, which would require an x86 emulation layer, but just the layout of the card itself). So, given knowledge of the inner workings of the various PCI busboards and an MMU, wouldn't it be possible to write a ROM update that sets up the MMU to monitor changes to chip RAM, intializes the display adapater, and updates the display as appropriate? Or would this be too slow to be useful (pixel conversion, memory reads/writes, etc.)?

Trev