Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: new toy!!!!! Anyone heard of a GP32?  (Read 6164 times)

Description:

Offline Rigger

• Show only replies by Rigger
Re: new toy!!!!! Anyone heard of a GP32?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 08, 2003, 07:26:57 AM »
Sounds cool. I want one  too.

Offline th4t1guy

• Show only replies by th4t1guy
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2003, 08:05:58 AM »
I heard about these things quite a while ago.  Apparently the software support for it isn't very good, and there's not a lot of developing going on for it.  I've also heard the processor was too slow for most things.  However, if cellphone ability was added to it, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2003, 10:47:31 AM »
Waaaaaahhh - it's 10:30 and my new toy hasn;t arrived yet!  Got to got to work at 11:30!!!  

Hurry up!!!!!

Well... at least it's been days and not months a la AOne... :-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2003, 01:13:53 PM »
Well... at least it's been days and not months a la AOne... :-)

Cough..Years...Cough cough cough cough.... cough.. splutter... choke... :-P

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2003, 01:37:03 PM »
th4t1guy,

The software support throughout the GP32 has picked up dramitatically in the past few months, its true there was a slow few months pre 2003, but its getting there seen as its very new outside Korea

As an example only in the last week weve heard of the new SCUMMVM ports, 2 new ZX Spectrum emulators, OGG support, and only just this morning, a MAME emulator... you can see this here....

http://www.gp32x.com/?artc=290

Like Axeman, ive never been so excited over a computer/console like this since my first A500, and ive owned one for nearly a month now, still use it every day :)

Bonks

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2003, 10:33:44 PM »
Yeah - and I havent even got it yet!  

Hehe - Tell you what though - GBAx.com (the suppliers of the GP32 in the UK) are a bunch of diamond geezers.  I Phoned uypi this morning and said that I hadn;t had it yet, and was promptly told that they were really sorry, but the demand had totally outstripped the supply (apparently hundreds per week at the moment!), but they had a spare they would send out straight away because they had promised me it this morning.  If only we could do that with teh AOne eh?

Will post a bit of a rundown on the thing tomorrow some time.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2003, 09:36:16 AM »
a question about the file transfers from the computer directory to the smartcard.

can i use an amiga with smartcard reader + smartcard ? ...

its a question about wheter i need this special software to create the special dirs needed + fs on the smc.

if i have the hw + the smartcard reader driver...will it then be easy to create dirs and such manually? ..

like for mac, linux people?...

or is this just for WINDOWS based ####?

Whats up with all the hate!

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2003, 10:12:20 AM »
As far as I know - you can just create the folders on the smartmedia card (it reads fine in a normal SM card reader).  There are link programs available for download for the Mac and Linux too, so AOne owners should be laughing if they have Linux up and running.

By the way - IT CAME THIS MORNING, and it's COOOOOL!

Its a great piece of kit.  All I've had a chance to do so far is transfer a few MP3s, install the Rick Dangerous port, and install the PC engine emulator GPengine and have a mess about on a few ROMs (the wonderful R-type and Turrican included :-) )

All running absolutely perfectly so far :-)

Will post more later

Offline dezignersrepublic

• Show only replies by dezignersrepublic
    • http://www.findingthem.com
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2003, 01:35:13 PM »
@Axeman

I am soo tempted to buy one but want to ask a few questions first:

- have you tried the divx playback?? if so whats the quality like?

- is the controller any good, I read in some reviews that it is very sensitve, is this too sensitive or is it ok??

--

the GP32 comes from Korea...
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2003, 06:40:04 PM »
Not a place you would expect a game console to come from worldn't it? Also the emulator seems to be on the www.emuunlim.com website.

Offline Trooper

• Show only replies by Trooper
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »
THE WORLDS GONE GP32 CRAZY !!!!. :-D

Hi,

Ordered one of these Sunday, As soon as i had read some of this thread. I heard about it sometime last year and it was a toss-up between getting a GP32, Wonder Swan (WS) or a Gameboy Advance. I didn`t buy any of then, Because the GP32 and the WS were new and not very popular and the GBA games were to bloody expensive. :-o

Anyway, Back to the point, Anticipating the arrival of my GP32, I checked my email today and found this note from a kind lady called Debs.

To:
****************************  (Email address removed)

Subject:
***********  (Order number removed)

Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:42:53 +0100

Hi,

There is a delay in despatching your order as we are temp out of stock due to the high demand for the GP32. Our delivery is due on Friday and your order will be despatched immediately. You will receive an email from us on the day it is sent.

Please accept our apologies for the delay.

Thanks

Debs

As i have said, The world has gone GP32 crazy, Which can only be a good thing.  :-D  Can`t It???.

Regards

Trooper
Rainbow Islands: \\"The game is sometimes called \\"Bubble Bobble 2\\". However, two other games --\\"Bubble Symphony: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2\\" and \\"Bubble Bobble 2\\"-- claim the same name. Rainbow Islands happens after Bubble Bobble. Bubble Symphon...

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2003, 09:56:33 PM »
Trooper:
The world has gone GP32 crazy, Which can only be a good thing.  Can`t It???.

Well i dunno about the world but i can vouch for the UK going alittle crazy on this unknown gem.
I was talking to craig from GBAX yesterday and he told me to phone before ordering one online as the demand recently has been really HUGE so they may run out of currents stocks, the reason for his is that its seems to be a great bit of kit, and because it was just recently Slashdotted!

Axeman:
If you need Smartmedia cards and you're in the UK, take a look at www.7dayshop.com. You can get a 128Mb card for about £24 there.

I'm gonna get one in a few weeks time, but in the meantime i have got myself some cheap SMC'S :-)  
Thanks for that info Axeman!

As a side note, i have been talking with some of the guys who have been using them for some time and some who develop things for it to, and there take is that only in the past while things have really started to pick up for it, emulators our starting to get very recent updates, some commerical games have been released and as said before in an earlier post, Pinball Dreams is available for it with possibly more in the pinball trilogy to follow.
 Native commerical games for me our not the selling point anyway (there ain't many), it's the emulation, C64 on the move!  wohoo:)
Mame is also in the works and there has been a release of that a few days ago, not sure if it has sound yet but its running some of the older titles pretty well like Ghost "n" Goblins, Genesis/Megadrive emulator also has been in the works for some time but the author does not want to release it until its perfect, but its coming along nicely from what i've heard.
 I Think also its just a matter of time before we see a GBA emulator, thats gonna smoke it's CPU if it can do that :)
There also seems to be a big demand for some sort of Amiga Emulator for it also, i've seen quite big threads/chat (nice one Axeman) about this subject and and in various IRC GP related channels,  most would agree that this would be the jewel in the crown if it's ever pulled of,  i won't hold my breath in that one though.

I will say one thing about the GP32 owners i've talked with recently, they remind me of Amiga users and how we look upon our classic bit of hardware, friendly/helpfull know what there speaking about and most of all, they love it and very protective/dedicated  to it
They also see a possible huge future for it, when the world knows,  sounds familar huh ;-)

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2003, 01:52:16 AM »
@dezignersrepublic

- have you tried the divx playback?? if so whats the quality like?

- is the controller any good, I read in some reviews that it is very sensitve, is this too sensitive or is it ok??

Divx playback is actually pretty good.  At the moment it is limited to 10fps, but aparrently someone has produced one that does 20fps.  It is definitely good enough to watch a few episodes of yer favorite tv stuff or even a whole film.  It looks good considering it fits on a 128mb SMC and its on such a small screen.

As for the controller - I actually really like it.  It IS sensitive, but I actually find that to be a good thing.  I, too, like the feel of the microswitches on the controller.  They emit a nice reassuring click (quiet one) when you move it.  

@Trooper

I was one of the lucky ones!  Apparently (and I think it was Debs), they shipped their last one to me and are now waiting for some more in.  I;ve got a feeling this is gonna get really big (at least in a cult kind of way :-p )  I think it's great that something like this is getting the recognition it deserves.  Its a great piece of kit.

As for my views - here's a brief rundown..... (getting late - work in the morning :-) )

MP3 player - great - recognizes ID3 tags etc and has a pretty little spectrum analyser.  

Rick Dangerous Port - Fantastic!  Think it uses the ST graphics, but we can forgive them for that!

PC Engine Emulator - WORTH THE ASKING PRICE ALONE!  R-type is perfect, as is R-Type 2 and aload of other games (Raiden, bonk etc).

SNES emulator - good but currently slow.

Master System Emulator - Really good - more or less perfect (few almost unnoticable sound glitches, but shouldnt take long to clear those up).

NES emulator - great if you're into those things (never liked many NES games myself!)

C64 Emulator - perfect, though a little clunky to use - again - according to author, this will be solved soon.

SCUMM emulator - Wonderful!!!!  Been playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis on it!  Perfect!

Hardware in General - Light, but not plasticky, great screen considereing its not backlit, long long battery life, Great that it uses SMCs.  I could go on forever, but I'm falling asleep!  Managed to get a lot done today with it.  Will post more tomorrow!

Cheers

:-)  :-)  :-D  :-)  :-)

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2003, 03:00:09 AM »
The Bandai Wonderswan was cancelled recently.I bet this will help the GP32 a lot, since a lot of people don´t like the GBA because of its countless SNES-ports and the dark display.

Hey,I read that they sold 150,000 GP32 just in Korea.Not bad. :)

I like that the GP32 is even so powerful that it can emulate a GBA. :D
Extremely cool.

I want Amiga Anywhere on the GP32!
Maybe somebody could ask Fleecy Moss about it. *g*

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2003, 08:38:52 AM »
These things sound amazing.  I used to own an orginal gameboy, way back when.  never owned a colour and only seen someone laying on and advance.

But if u gameboy fans out there are interested the new gamboy sp is brill,, its been well re-designed and now has a proper back-lit. its basically a GBA in a new case design(i.e a flip down screen) with a backlit screen.

slightly more of topic, played Zelda on the GG last weekend, Im not a big fan of Zelda series, but the game looks really good and is interesting.  Its all cell-shaded.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2003, 01:58:34 PM »
I sort of have £100 - well sort of - overdraft etc... and i just phoned up GBAX cos they are quite near to me....

They've said that the shipment is arriving tommorrow, and if I want one all I have to do is call and I can go and collect :-D

I'm chomping at the bit for one of these babies - Ax has been telling me loads about them!

:pint:
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings