Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first Mac! (A classic).  (Read 9591 times)

Description:

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
Re: My first Mac! (A classic).
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 05:28:01 AM »
Hey tokyoracer, I say if you enjoy the Mac, more power to you!

I actually enjoy my 2 Mattel Aquariuses (Aquarii?) So, if I can have that horrible machine, you can certainly have your older Mac... :roflmao:
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »
toykyo racer,

I hope for your sake it IS a 8100 or better..

Go to  lowendmac.com

Loads of good info  to get you started.
 And unless you're in love with whatever model it turns out  to be at the cash store;DON"T spend loads on upgrading it ;olde Apples PowerMacs  aren't worth much,you might well  find an entire  G3 for the price of an upgrade  card.Certain classic models have more capability and cheaper expandibility.

Offline recidivist

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:08 AM »
Just checked eBay and tokyoracer's  40 quid isn't bad compared to current listing for a 6100/60(gotta love the one wanting $150 buy it now.)

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 08:38:31 AM »
I think that with things advancing much more slowly in the Amiga world, retro Amigas are more useful than the equivalent Mac. I have one of those machines, with OS8 and it's so slow it's unbearable, especially running 68k stuff, whereas my A1200/060/Voodoo3 feels an order of magnitude faster in everyday use. The Mac just feels so much more antiquated...

I recently picked up an iBook G4 1.33GHz for *nothing*. Granted, it wasn't working due to spilled coffee, but I cleaned it out and treated it to a new keyboard (€23 on eBay) and it's perfect now running Tiger. Not bad!!
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline tokyoracerTopic starter

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »
Ok I have it now... Thought it may have been an 8000 series but its a 6000 (6100/60 to be precice)... Though I will hunt for upgrades (and yes I know now i've been had but I got it now...).
Straight away I have encounterd a problem which is rather simple and possibly retarded if I have forgotten something obvious. I have plugged it all in and switched it on, the Hard Disk sounds healthy, there is a sound from boot up but there is no picture on the monitor what-so-ever. The monitor powers up ok (or it seems to) with a green LED light. Also theres no lights that appear on the keyboard if I press the 'lock' keys.
Any help would be really apriciated.

P.s. Sorry I have no pictures, lost the cable for the digital camera but a new one is on it's way via fleaBay.

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »
I wouldn't think you were really had - it's only £40, and I've paid much more than that just to try certain unusual gear out... As for the monitor, do you have another monitor you can try? The cable on those Apple monitors actually takes a standard SVGA-in, but the output of the machine is the custom Apple connector. A simple SVGA cable will let you try the monitor on a PC or any other machine with a standard video out.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;523002
I wouldn't think you were really had - it's only £40, and I've paid much more than that just to try certain unusual gear out... As for the monitor, do you have another monitor you can try? The cable on those Apple monitors actually takes a standard SVGA-in, but the output of the machine is the custom Apple connector. A simple SVGA cable will let you try the monitor on a PC or any other machine with a standard video out.

Yeah I got a Sony Multiscan E500 that uses VGA or SVGA (one or the other). But all the cables I have don't seem to supply a VGA type connector. The monitor given is an official Apple item.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »
Quote from: tokyoracer;523001
Ok I have it now... Thought it may have been an 8000 series but its a 6000 (6100/60 to be precice)... Though I will hunt for upgrades (and yes I know now i've been had but I got it now...).
Straight away I have encounterd a problem which is rather simple and possibly retarded if I have forgotten something obvious. I have plugged it all in and switched it on, the Hard Disk sounds healthy, there is a sound from boot up but there is no picture on the monitor what-so-ever. The monitor powers up ok (or it seems to) with a green LED light. Also theres no lights that appear on the keyboard if I press the 'lock' keys.
Any help would be really apriciated.

P.s. Sorry I have no pictures, lost the cable for the digital camera but a new one is on it's way via fleaBay.

Quick guess, at work and haven't looked up any details on this model, but given mention of the framebuffer...  Checked inside to see if someone pulled all the RAM?  Most valuable part of the machine back when we things could be $100/MB.    Edit: Because IIRC most models could still 'bing' without the RAM (who knows how much money they spent on that feature?) ... and second guess would be to try the usual Command-Opt-P-R trick or whatever the "parameter RAM" reset is for that model.

Old Macs (and even PPC is old, now) are interesting as far as the Classic OS being... sufficiently different, but they're not all that fun, since they're all basically just a CPU hooked up to a framebuffer... very expensive pizza boxes, sorta... but almost everything was back then.

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »
Quote from: Floid;523010
Quick guess, at work and haven't looked up any details on this model, but given mention of the framebuffer...  Checked inside to see if someone pulled all the RAM?  Most valuable part of the machine back when we things could be $100/MB.    Edit: Because IIRC most models could still 'bing' without the RAM (who knows how much money they spent on that feature?) ... and second guess would be to try the usual Command-Opt-P-R trick or whatever the "parameter RAM" reset is for that model.

Old Macs (and even PPC is old, now) are interesting as far as the Classic OS being... sufficiently different, but they're not all that fun, since they're all basically just a CPU hooked up to a framebuffer... very expensive pizza boxes, sorta... but almost everything was back then.

No there is RAM located in the 2 slots in the middle of the motherboard (both are used) and there is 2 slots on the left hand side of the motherboard (of which 1 is free).
As for the Command-Opt-P-R trick", sorry if im being a bit thick here but if thats a keyboard input then im not sure were them keys are.

Offline recidivist

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »
If it has no picture at all,return it ;unless you bought it completely as-is AND didn't try it out  first.
 In that case,you may REALLY have been had.
 Recheck your connections,make sure both monitor and cpu power switches on,etc.
 The computer itself should make a musical sound if ok on startup,the sound of breaking glass if not.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »
Take a look here and here. ;)

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 06:54:26 PM »
Quote from: recidivist;523015
If it has no picture at all,return it ;unless you bought it completely as-is AND didn't try it out  first.
 In that case,you may REALLY have been had.
 Recheck your connections,make sure both monitor and cpu power switches on,etc.
 The computer itself should make a musical sound if ok on startup,the sound of breaking glass if not.

The sound it makes is defernately not breaking glass, a chord sound of some sort. Preferbly if it is the monitor at fault then i'd rather hold onto it even if it was a bit of a rip-off.

Quote from: Zac67;523017
Take a look here and here. ;)

Thanks for that! I done exacly that upon boot-up but nothing sadly. :(

Offline Wayne

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
Quote from: smerf;522802
Hi,
Sorry I tells it like it is.

See?  Here's what I don't understand.  I'll accept the fact you feel the way you do about Apple computers, though I don't understand why.

What I don't get is why you feel the need to jump into a thread which is about a community member getting their first Mac (and presumably enjoying it) then spooging all over their enjoyment for the sake of making yourself feel better.

There's no reason for you to be in this thread at all, because no one in this thread invited negative (and pointless) opinions.

Besides, most real Amiga users went Mac years ago.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;522961
I think that with things advancing much more slowly in the Amiga world, retro Amigas are more useful than the equivalent Mac. I have one of those machines, with OS8 and it's so slow it's unbearable, especially running 68k stuff, whereas my A1200/060/Voodoo3 feels an order of magnitude faster in everyday use. The Mac just feels so much more antiquated...

I recently picked up an iBook G4 1.33GHz for *nothing*. Granted, it wasn't working due to spilled coffee, but I cleaned it out and treated it to a new keyboard (€23 on eBay) and it's perfect now running Tiger. Not bad!!

Nice score Daedalus!  Can't beat free for old gear and if you are lucky and interested in running MorphOS, there is a chance that that G4 iBook has very nearly the same hardware as the G4 MacMini and you might be able to run the next version of MorphOS on it some day.  One of the MorphOS Dev Team members has already booted a work in progress on a G4 PowerBook, but they have not promised that they will be completing any version except the one for the G4 MacMini.

@Wayne,

Totally agree with your comments 100%.  I am at least partly guilty of jumping into this thread with a negative comment, but it was meant to be constructive help, just in case the OP could get his money back and spend it on another old Mac that would be more enjoyable for him in the long run.  I remember when the first PPC Macs came out and many Mac users were very disappointed that they could not run their existing 68k programs as fast as they did on their older 68040 Macs.  I think if the OP had looked around a bit longer he could have found a better Mac for about the same money.  I'll try not to post negative messages in the future.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »
Quote from: tokyoracer;523018
Thanks for that! I done exacly that upon boot-up but nothing sadly. :(

Hmm - you sure there's an OS installed on the HDD? You got a MacOS CD to boot from (Opt-Command-C)?

Offline danamania

• Show only replies by danamania
    • http://www.danaquarium.com/
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 14, 2009, 09:34:31 PM »
From memory the 6100 is one of those beige macs that needs a powertoggle to get started when the internal battery is flat.

Turn it on for about 10 seconds, with its black screen and non-booting, then turn it off/on quickly. If all goes well, it should boot up with a display.