Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minimum AROS specs?  (Read 3454 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
Minimum AROS specs?
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
What are the minimum specs of an X86 machine to get a good user experience?  Let's assume an ICAROS install.  There are a lot of old PCs that people are basically paying to haul away, would any of these make good AROS machines?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
Re: Minimum AROS specs?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
In theory you can run AROS on very low spec machines, with processor under 500 MHz and so, the problem is that modern applications and modern computing - as far as modern can get any AmigaOS experience - need more grunt. Realistic answer is you need a 1,6 GHz processor with 512 megs of RAM and a supported Intel or GeForce GPU that can give you also 3D hardware acceleration. There is an ARSO compatibility list you can search with google, please have a look and choose your configuration with care.
p.bes

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »
I think 16meg 486 is the minimum spec... It's actually compiled for the 386, but I think it now needs an FPU :)

If you want to compile your own, you could probably run it on a very low spec 386 :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
Right now I have a 2.0ghz pentium with 2 gigs ram and a nvidia card, and sblive and intel 100 net card. Its a very comfortable user experience on that.

My last aros box was a 3ghz machine, and I will say things seemed alot snappier and smoother on that, but still 2ghz is fine.

I'd love to see aros running on a 386 or 486, just because... I wish I had one to try...

The first time I saw AROS run, it was on an old pentium 1 90mhz I had laying around,booting from floppy once they got that native floppy boot working. It was just cool to see.

We've come a long way. I wouldn't want to run current aros on a pentium 90, but I would like to see it run on a very very low spec machine just for my own curiousity.

Steven

Offline gunni

• Show only replies by gunni
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »
I think running AROS isn't so much of a problem as if your sound or networking card is supported. thats the only problem I've had with running it on any machine I've tried.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:31:23 AM »
I had an old 25Mhz 386 laptop I found in a skip back in 2002 and the AROS boot floppy booted just fine... Apart from the monochrome screen it felt much like my A1200 in terms of performance :)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:49:52 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;675697
I had an old 25Mhz 386 laptop I found in a skip back in 2002 and the AROS boot floppy booted just fine... Apart from the monochrome screen it felt much like my A1200 in terms of performance :)

Soooo... you found a 386 in a skip and an Atari in a bin. Careful buddy, your going to get a reputation at this rate. :P
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Heinz

• Show only replies by Heinz
    • http://amidevcpp.amiga-world.de
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
Quote from: persia;675667
What are the minimum specs of an X86 machine to get a good user experience?  Let's assume an ICAROS install.  There are a lot of old PCs that people are basically paying to haul away, would any of these make good AROS machines?

The lowest machine I booted AROS on, was an Pentium I@100Mhz with 16MB RAM.
I needed to deactivate decoration because of its Memory usage, but with OS3.1 look, it worked fine.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;675703
Soooo... you found a 386 in a skip and an Atari in a bin. Careful buddy, your going to get a reputation at this rate. :P
"Dumpster diving" is something I picked up from a previous girl friend... :)

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;675737
"Dumpster diving" is something I picked up from a previous girl friend... :)

You mean thats how she found you? ;-)

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 01:29:46 PM »
@others

What's wrong in a question like "What are the minimum specs of an X86 machine to get a good user experience?". Persia asked a configuration "to get a GOOD experience", and you are all suggesting that AROS can run on a dustbin with a obsolete processor inside? Please stick to the question. If he wants a GOOD user experience, he NEEDS a enough-powerful & supported PC, not a scrap taken out of the junkyard.
p.bes

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »
Quote from: paolone;675752
@others

What's wrong in a question like "What are the minimum specs of an X86 machine to get a good user experience?". Persia asked a configuration "to get a GOOD experience", and you are all suggesting that AROS can run on a dustbin with a obsolete processor inside? Please stick to the question. If he wants a GOOD user experience, he NEEDS a enough-powerful & supported PC, not a scrap taken out of the junkyard.

Depends entirely on what people expect to do. Not all of us care bout 3d games and stuff like that.

I think it's far for people to point out that AROS runs fine on slow machines like that. That doesn't mean people will or should expect all applications to work well on hardware like that - I think people on here are generally technical enough to realize the difference between OS experience and what applications demand.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
Quote from: paolone;675752
@others

Last time we had a poll running on AROS-exec some five or so years ago, people were finding 1.x GHz systems in the trash.  I wouldn't be shocked to hear people finding dual core systems in the trash by now.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »
Quote from: dammy;675760
Last time we had a poll running on AROS-exec some five or so years ago, people were finding 1.x GHz systems in the trash. I wouldn't be shocked to hear people finding dual core systems in the trash by now.

I still have a 1.6 GHz single core ULW A64 I'm using (since you don't need a dual core processor).
Anyone that's dumb enough to throw away a dual core system (instead of parting it out on Ebay) is a fool.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »
That sounds like too much hassle.
If I had no further use for my old PC, and nobody I knew wanted it, I'd just leave it on the curb on a nice day and let some industrious stranger give it a good home.
That's how I get most of my electronics.