Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 15Khz RGB YUV Video to VGA Converter Scaler For Amiga Atari Apple IIGS  (Read 11391 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
Re: 15Khz RGB YUV Video to VGA Converter Scaler For Amiga Atari Apple IIGS
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 12, 2013, 04:19:45 AM »
Quote from: WeiXing3D;731659
Is anyone using one of this? Any comments or suggestions? What else would be needed to use with A1200?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/15Khz-RGB-YUV-Video-to-VGA-Converter-Scaler-For-Amiga-Atari-Apple-IIGS-/00/s/MjU2WDUxOQ==/$(KGrHqF,!qsE+oVyuLSMBP-64DI7i!~~60_12.GIF

this thing does work, but sometimes gets confused about interlaced mode. Its like it gets every other scanline reversed like 50% of the time. I put a push button on the power cord to reset it when it got confused in interlaced mode.  

It shows a lot of banding and I was generally not very happy with it.

That being said, its better than nothing and it does look better than composite.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
Quote from: gertsy;734610
The unit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310620740857?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_6693wt_1040&clk_rvr_id=478495447823
Apart from the shocking clarity the best bit is the way it handles dithering or gouraud shading.  Most video converters have big trouble with that especially the "silver" look. Special!

On High res interlaced PAL there is a slight shimmer of drop down menu items for a split second but if you didn't know it wasn't supposed to happen you might think it was an effect. It could just be an artefact of the upscaling. Also when jumping from low res back to high res the same split second shimmer is evident but barely noticeable. Almost like a settling.
I'm pointing out tiny insignificant blemishes on what I think is the best Amiga display I've seen since vanilla 1084.  I have / used 2320(Amber), Picasso II, Retina Z3 and they either suffered from shading artefacts or the washout look. This is crystal and very 1084ish.

I ran through a few WHDload games in front of the big screen last night; Super Cars, Superfrog, Loopz, Historyline(sucked in for too long there!)  Had to sit a good 3 metres back from the screen but the contrast was great and the display rock steady.  Might have something to do with the Panasonic VT30 1080p screen though. :)

Once I pick up another HDMI cable I try out my cheapy BENQ Monitor and let you know if the result is the same.

Cheers.

Good to hear it's working great for you too mate, my only beef is the lack of compliance with the SCART pin8 signalling and it stretching 4:3 to 16:9 as a result as my Bravia doesnt allow me to squash 16:9 720p/1080p content back to 4:3 AR!

I've calibrated my display for it too by hooking up a BD player to the HDMI pass-thru and running thru my spears & munsil calibration disc. This is worth doing as the SCART-HDMI converter tends to turn up the colour saturation a little bit (and im anal about PQ).

Your Panny VT30 is a superb screen so im not surprised it works well for you - does it have an "aspect" or "zoom" button that allows you to fix the aspect ratio?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:14:27 AM by djos »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
There's a bit of black bordering on normal games, nothing intrusive. Using overscan on workbench I was able to get quite good coverage.  The RHS has a bit of unusable border.  4:3 Aspect was distracting.  Too much side space. Geometric games like Loopz can look a bit stretched on 16:9.  4:3 Zoom was like playing Doom, too blocky.

The upscaler couldn't handle my normal A1200 workbench screen which is..I've forgotten...  Anyway it was a 32khz mode 800 x 600 which looks great MUI. It actually came up double screen perhaps because my Panasonic thought it was 3D, dunno.

The colour looked great.  Especially when I'm so used to the washed out look of most Amiga video expansion options.

Offline djos

yeah I found the image is slightly shifted to the right of screen too but just so pleased with the results I dont care. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Quote from: djos;734626
yeah I found the image is slightly shifted to the right of screen too but just so pleased with the results I dont care. :D

Tested on my BenQ.  Works fine.  A little more washed out than the Panasonic but still nice. Still has the slight menu flicker on opening so its an artefact of the SCART - HDMI converter.  Still it's good to switch from my Amiga 1200 to PC with a touch of the Monitor input button. Just like my A4000.

Offline djos

Quote from: gertsy;734717
Tested on my BenQ.  Works fine.  A little more washed out than the Panasonic but still nice. Still has the slight menu flicker on opening so its an artefact of the SCART - HDMI converter.  Still it's good to switch from my Amiga 1200 to PC with a touch of the Monitor input button. Just like my A4000.
Im seriously considering buying a new 24" IPS LCD for my Mac Mini and moving my 21" Samsung LCD to my Amiga 1200 along with a 2nd SCART-HDMI converter - beats the hell out of my GBS-8220 and my Samsung lets me correct the aspect ratio back to 4:3.

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
ok I bought this 720/1080p HDMI converter and would like to review it for the french magazine AmigaPower.
is there something (game and /or util) that would qualify for that, and prove (or not) that it is great value for money compared to others options ?

Offline djos

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »
The only issue with the HDMI converter is moving items look soft due to the deinterlacing method used.

Aside from that it's great as it supports 50 & 60hz. Your tv will need to support forcing 720p or 1080p into 4:3 mode tho as the converter ignores the Scart aspect ratio signals.

Btw there is one better unit IMO, it's form the same mob and converts scart-rgb to component video - either 576i 50hz or 480i 60hz.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:39:50 PM by djos »

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
a new one ? I could not find it on the items list from earlydepot (ebay).

I also notice the blur effect when it is moving on screen (try Hybris).
no problem with the display : my TV is 720/1080p compatible and I can change the display at will (16/9 or 4/3).
my only grief is that the info window does not stay for long and that you have to hit those buttons twice (one to activate, one to change).