Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gentoo Install  (Read 3648 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Gentoo Install
« on: August 27, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
I am planning to install Gentoo to Virtual Box. I found the Xamiga build instructions by Fractalyte or Fraccy he uses Gentoo as an example.
I have never installed Gentoo before and found that there is a Stage 3 tarball needed.
I have not used that before.

Should I use Gentoo or do you think Ubuntu or Debian 6 to do the same?
I do not mind reading their handbook. I am looking for an easier path.
Also will VBox be able to work as a workstation or do I need real hard ware?
I was able to install Xamiga in VBox but it has problems booting.
It would install on real hardware and it seemed grub has a problems with HD's
It was a HD0 and SD0 mix up.

Thanks.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
Re: Gentoo Install
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
I like Gentoo, but you need to follow all of the installation instructions exactly. If you can do that, then the installation is easy. Really easy.

If reading and installing is too hard, Ubuntu is the way to go.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:41:12 AM »
I do not know how it will go. I have not read the hand book yet.
I remember installing Linux with about 10 floppy disks.
It it no rush.

Offline nikodr

• Show only replies by nikodr
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »
Ditch gentoo and get ubuntu,no need for anything else,a good install of ubuntu blows away any distro of gentoo.

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:46:29 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;656292
I do not know how it will go. I have not read the hand book yet.
I remember installing Linux with about 10 floppy disks.
It it no rush.

Ah, easy then ;-)

Boot from LiveCD, prep the drives, mount them, install stage-3 and grub, reboot.

Ditch gentoo and get ubuntu,no need for anything else,a good install of ubuntu blows away any distro of gentoo.

There is always one in the group, isn't there.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
Quote from: trekiej;656288
I am planning to install Gentoo to Virtual Box. I found the Xamiga build instructions by Fractalyte or Fraccy he uses Gentoo as an example.
I have never installed Gentoo before and found that there is a Stage 3 tarball needed.
I have not used that before.

Should I use Gentoo or do you think Ubuntu or Debian 6 to do the same?

They'll do the same and more without ton of headache. Obviously it depends on how good the instructions are: if they're sucky then they're tied to Gentoo and you will have pain.

Offline esc

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 04:13:30 PM »
Gentoo is great.  You can make it as simple or complicated as you want, and the system will be very minimal until you decide what applications/utils to install.

Ubuntu/Debian will give you pretty much everything you need by default...which for many people is great, but it will be bloated.  If you like bloat and just want a quick install, it's a great way to go.

I, personally, prefer to have complete control over my system.  So, for me, Gentoo is a better distribution.  Plus, by merely installing Gentoo, you'll probably learn a lot more about linux and your computer than using Ubuntu long-term.  Just my two cents :)

Offline Piru

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
Quote from: esc;656327
Ubuntu/Debian will give you pretty much everything you need by default...
Untrue. With Debian you get to choose the type of the system you want to install.
Just deselect everything and you have very basic system without any extra packages.

I, personally, prefer to have complete control over my system.  So, for me, Gentoo is a better distribution.
How does Gentoo give you any more control than say Debian?

Plus, by merely installing Gentoo, you'll probably learn a lot more about linux and your computer than using Ubuntu long-term.
http://funroll-loops.info/#fourth

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
Apparently the NASDAQ runs on Gentoo.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:42:37 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
I played around with Gentoo for a bit back in the day. It was interesting but to be honest, I just don't need to know the linux internals that well. These days I just want stuff to work so that I can get on with things without having to faff around.

Consequently I use the N-1th LTS version of Ubuntu on my desktop and wouldn't hesitate to use debian on any other devices.
int p; // A

Offline esc

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »
Quote from: Piru;656328
Untrue. With Debian you get to choose the type of the system you want to install.

Just deselect everything and you have very basic system without any extra packages.

How does Gentoo give you any more control than say Debian?

http://funroll-loops.info/#fourth

The thing is that Debian still automates much of the (most of the) install process, whereas with Gentoo, it's all done manually.  Watching the text scroll by doesn't do squat, but learning how to optimize make flags for your architecture, how to manually set up block devices, networking, etc, ends up being quite a good lesson in computing.  It's not a system where you click install and things "just work" - it takes some time and ingenuity.  Also, I'm not badmouthing Debian or Ubuntu at all...I have Ubuntu on the family computer because it's easier to update and maintain for other members of my family.

The "control" factor is because with Gentoo, you manually select everything that you need, and you compile it fresh for your install with your compile flags.  Ubuntu and Debian package management is still binary based; if you want to compile things with Debian, you still need to download the package, configure, and make && make install...which most people can't really be bothered to do.

After using both distros for many years, sometimes Ubuntu feels better to me because it "just works."  However, having to figure out every last detail of a Gentoo install to make it work has made me more intimately familiar with my computer hardware and the way it interfaces with software, and a lot of the voodoo magic behind why an operating system works makes a lot more sense to me.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
learning how to optimize make flags for your architecture

Well, there are less herculean ways of doing it than building your OS from source :D
int p; // A

Offline Piru

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »
Quote from: esc;656346
The thing is that Debian still automates much of the (most of the) install process, whereas with Gentoo, it's all done manually.
Yes exactly. That's why Debian is much better.

Watching the text scroll by doesn't do squat, but learning how to optimize make flags for your architecture
Uh what? Figuring out what optimization flags to use with your specific CPU? Are you for real? This is direct out of http://funroll-loops.info/#second

, how to manually set up block devices, networking, etc, ends up being quite a good lesson in computing.
Unfortunately it doesn't actually teach you much. I'd argue that most Gentoo users don't have a clue what they're actually doing and why.

It's not a system where you click install and things "just work"
That sounds bad indeed.

- it takes some time and ingenuity.
No, it takes following instructions and googling a lot. I'm not sure if that teaches anyone much.

The "control" factor is because with Gentoo, you manually select everything that you need
Not different to Debian at all. You can select stuff manually if you wish. If you don't you can just select "a desktop installation" or "a web server installation" and adjust those to your liking.

and you compile it fresh for your install with your compile flags.
What does this have to do with control? Elaborate please. Some example that explains how this would give any advantage over Debian would be desirable.

Ubuntu and Debian package management is still binary based; if you want to compile things with Debian, you still need to download the package, configure, and make && make install...which most people can't really be bothered to do.
Why would you want to build your own packages?

If you do, you do NOT have to download the package, configure and make && make install.

Rather you do: apt-get build-dep package, apt-get source package && dpkg-buildpackage. You can do this for any package if you wish.. but I really fail to see why would you want to.

However, having to figure out every last detail of a Gentoo install to make it work has made me more intimately familiar with my computer hardware and the way it interfaces with software, and a lot of the voodoo magic behind why an operating system works makes a lot more sense to me.
I've heard this argument numerous times, but even more I've heard cursing when something doesn't build or work as expected. Today I know of no-one using Gentoo anymore, it just isn't worth the trouble.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
I still got to find out if I can still build X-amiga with it.
I guess this will stall because of the lack of DSL at families home.

Offline esc

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 08:07:13 PM »
This is for Piru -

I think you and I will just have to agree to disagree.  Calling one thing better than another is completely subjective, and quite ridiculous.  The word "better" should NEVER be used when making a comparison, because one person's idea of better can be completely different from someone else's...but I digress.

As someone that has used linux for many years, and used everything from Slackware, Mandrake, Redhat, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch...and some BSD's...I can say that my personal preference is to build my desktop step by step.  I like to buy specific hardware, screw it all together, plug it in, and then manually build my operating system.

I am also someone that likes to build cars from parts.  My daily driver is a '67 Chevy with a brand new Corvette motor...which I build by hand-selected parts.

My point is not to show off.  My point is to illustrate that some people are happy with plug-and-play; some people like to work with the nuts and bolts and learn the why and how.