Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is important to you in an RTS game?  (Read 6747 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: What is important to you in an RTS game?
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:35 AM »
I don't think 1MB is enough to make an RTS game anything great. It's just not enough Ram.

I remember playing Dune 2 on my A500 with 1MB RAM and was really frustrated at the way it slowed down to a crawl everytime more than 1 unit was on the screen. Then i watched it on a friends PC with 8 MB Ram and watched it fly!

I'm sure it may be possible to get around this somehow but does it have to be only 1 MB? I'm pretty sure most people who would play this 1MB RTS game who have classic Amigas to play them on would have expanded and upgraded them significantly with more RAM and faster CPU's enough to make a 1MB benchmark seem small minded. And you know the year is 2011 and not 1990. In 1990 1MB was a good target to aim for but in 2011 i think we can be a little more ambitious than that. What about 8MB running 25Mhz?

I don't see the point in limiting new games to OCS or ECS. It wouldn't hurt or be too hard to put more colours and a higher res in there. Especially after seeing the fantastic glow icons being made.

Just my opinion :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:55:30 AM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 04:05:52 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;606968
I don't think 1MB is enough to make an RTS game anything great. It's just not enough Ram.

I remember playing Dune 2 on my A500 with 1MB RAM and was really frustrated at the way it slowed down to a crawl everytime more than 1 unit was on the screen. Then i watched it on a friends PC with 8 MB Ram and watched it fly!

I'm sure it may be possible to get around this somehow but does it have to be only 1 MB? I'm pretty sure most people who would play this 1MB RTS game who have classic Amigas to play them on would have expanded and upgraded them significantly with more RAM and faster CPU's enough to make a 1MB benchmark seem small minded. And you know the year is 2011 and not 1990. In 1990 1MB was a good target to aim for but in 2011 i think we can be a little more ambitious than that. What about 8MB running 25Mhz?

I don't see the point in limiting new games to OCS or ECS. It wouldn't hurt or be too hard to put more colours and a higher res in there. Especially after seeing the fantasic glow icons being made.

Just my opinion :)

there are plenty of games out there for machines of higher caliber.  If anything, I would love to see some retro action.  I have a friend whose autistic son does nothing but write super mario brothers levels in assembler.  Considering that most Amigas out there are classics I would think that should be the market to hit (assuming that this project is all about the fun and learning aspect).  I'm all for an AGA option or 2M capable, but I am sure there are ways to make a great RTS work in 1 meg.  I just don't want anyone not running a Voodoo3 in a 1200T or 4000 with mediator to be excluded.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 04:24:52 AM »
I can't stand the rock, paper, scissors style units either. Have a look at Panzer General 2 and related SSI games. The units are very variable in strength and terrain is a factor in battles. Do that in an RTS and it may hook me in.

Although you don't have to bother with single player in the networking age if you do... Have the AI mass armies instead of just sending out little skirmish forces at regular intervals.

Have a good story joining your campaign together.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 04:46:46 AM »
I would say that you should definitely shoot for the 1MB ram.  In fact, I would shoot for the MiniMig specs.  We are very close to having a free Amiga operating system running on the free Amiga compatible machines that are now being sold.  I would be very suprised if the MiniMigs didn't start shipping with AROS once the 68k version is ready.  No doubt, they would like to include a selection of games on it as well.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 04:51:48 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;606981
I can't stand the rock, paper, scissors style units either. Have a look at Panzer General 2 and related SSI games. The units are very variable in strength and terrain is a factor in battles. Do that in an RTS and it may hook me in.

Although you don't have to bother with single player in the networking age if you do... Have the AI mass armies instead of just sending out little skirmish forces at regular intervals.

Have a good story joining your campaign together.

Actually, I'd be all over more games in the vein of Battle Isle and Panzer General.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 06:15:31 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;606981

I agree. The elephant chases the dog, the dog chases the cat, the cat chases the mouse and the mouse chases the elephant     :roflmao:

Offline bubblebobble

• Show only replies by bubblebobble
    • http://www.hd-rec.de
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
If you use tieght restrictions like 1MB ChipRam, the game wont be better than Dune2. This would be illusoric. It will be much worse because you have less time and less experience than the developers of Dune2.
For acceptable results, raise the specs at least to RTG, 64MB RAM, 50MHz+.

Note: Programming is totally different, if you target low-spec, mid-spec or high-spec. Probably your choise depends on what you want to learn.
--
Author of
HD-Rec, Sweeper, Samplemanager, ArTKanoid, Monkeyscript, Toadies, AsteroidsTR, TuiTED, PosTED, TKPlayer, AudioConverter, ScreenCam, PerlinFX, MapEdit, AB3 Includes and many more...
Homepage: http://www.hd-rec.de

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
Quote from: bubblebobble;606994
If you use tieght restrictions like 1MB ChipRam, the game wont be better than Dune2. This would be illusoric. It will be much worse because you have less time and less experience than the developers of Dune2.

Note: Programming is totally different, if you target low-spec, mid-spec or high-spec. Probably your choise depends on what you want to learn.

Maybe but wasn't Dune2 actually made for the PC and then ported over to other platforms? It's not really the type of game Amiga's were known for this being RTS or FPS. Amiga was famous for its arcade games. If the game was actually made for the Amiga in mind it would have worked a lot better i think :)

PS - "tieght" is actually "tight".  Naughty boy!

Follow this link. www.amiga.org/forums/group.php?groupid=50
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:34:50 AM by Kesa »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
Quote from: bubblebobble;606994

Limiting yourself to those specs will pretty much mean nobody plays the game.

And hell, look at Populous, megalomania, K240 etc.

You can do tons of great gaming on an unexpanded machine

Offline motrucker

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
Absolutely MUST use just 1Mb of chip RAM! Allow for liberal use of expanded fast RAM, but keep the chip RAM need low. This would allow most classic Amiga users to use the game too.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 06:31:36 PM »
Hmm, make it run on a Minimig perhaps, as a middle ground? 2MB, fast 68000, but original chipset. If you can make passable graphics in 16 colours, then 64 colours EHB should produce some lovely graphics.

Offline yssingTopic starter

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:16 PM »
Well if I can get amiblitz to compile for a resolution of 320 * 240 * 64 then I might take a swing at it. Need graphics though.

But atm. I am playing with alphablending in amiblitz. RTG is needed for that

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
Quote from: runequester;607036
Limiting yourself to those specs will pretty much mean nobody plays the game.

And hell, look at Populous, megalomania, K240 etc.

You can do tons of great gaming on an unexpanded machine

I recently installed syndicate again on my 2000.  Holy crap that platform had potential!  I have 1M chip and 2m fast and no expansion.  It bogs down some when there are a lot of people walking about, but I was struck at how easily a fallout style rpg could have been built on top of that.  I also am curious how the people spawn on the map (ie if they are in memory whether or not they are on the screen).  I wonder the odds of Looney Molyneux kicking the old Syndicate code out there to roam free :D

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 01:02:25 AM »
Metal Fatigue on the PC was damn near perfect.  A Starcraft clone for sure but it had it's own merits.

Basically, if I were you, I would look at Warcraft 1 & 2.  Start there.

To me, what would make it better is if your individual units could "gain levels".  Some RTS PC games do this.

RTTS - real time tactical strategy is a more fitting game.  Look at the 'tactics' games on the GBA/DS/PSP as well as the AdvanceWars series for inspiration.  Those are turn-based.  The genre is tactical stragedy because you don't only control 1 avatar...but many.  That's where the stragedy is.  How you build them up, where you place them, etc.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 04:17:53 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;607537
I recently installed syndicate again on my 2000.  Holy crap that platform had potential!  I have 1M chip and 2m fast and no expansion.  It bogs down some when there are a lot of people walking about, but I was struck at how easily a fallout style rpg could have been built on top of that.  I also am curious how the people spawn on the map (ie if they are in memory whether or not they are on the screen).  I wonder the odds of Looney Molyneux kicking the old Syndicate code out there to roam free :D

yeah, an RPG on something like that engine would have a ton of potential, or even a larger scale military tactical game.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 19, 2011, 08:00:34 AM »
I love RTS games, it was a great shame Amiga never got Command & Conquer until it got open sourced, I wounder if Clickboom would ever consider open sourcing Napalm, I love that game a bit hard but show what a slightly upgraded Amiga can do.

I'm not too sure but did'nt another RTS game called moonbase run on a basic amiga?

One of my fav RTS game after the Amiga was the crays Z game, I think it was planned to be ported to the Amiga. Would like something like that.

Infact I kind of alway felt Cannon Fodder could of be turned into more of rts, Z kind of game. thats what I would like to see.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:05:11 AM by AmigaNG »