Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games for A1 / AOS4  (Read 3849 times)

Description:

Offline amiga_boyTopic starter

• Show only replies by amiga_boy
Games for A1 / AOS4
« on: June 03, 2003, 03:23:40 AM »
Although Hyperion have Sin waiting in the wings when the new hardware and OS are released, I think we need something a little more exciting to show off the new technology. A few games I would like to play on OS4 are (in no particular order):

1) GTA3 / GTA3 - VC, with the up and coming multiplayer modification

Reason: Payback is good but will never quite eclipse GTA3.

2) HalfLife / Blue Shift / Opp Force / Counter Strike

Reason: Great games, particularly for multiplayer action.

3) Jedi Outcast

Reason: Great single and multiplayer game, and it would be great if LucasArts got interested in Amiga again.

4) Commandos - Men of Courage

Reason: Fantastic strategy game that even I was able to complete eventually.

Any other suggestions we can put to Hyperion and other developers?
\\"Eagles may soar, but weasels don\\\'t get sucked into jet engines.\\"

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
Re: Games for A1 / AOS4
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 06:19:29 AM »
well I accidentally discovered this while surfing "icewalk" for some linux apps

http://w1.877.telia.com/~u87741119/

thats Enrapture , supposedly similar to Elite
its 3D accel'd and runs on linux.....
the possibilities are intrigueing
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 06:22:59 AM »
So basically, you want a PC running Windows XP?
Hate figure. :lol:

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 07:48:54 AM »
"So basically, you want a PC running Windows XP?" - DaveP

I already have a PC running Windows XP, what I want is a compelling reason to buy an A1/OS4, as will everyone else. Without software it will just be an expensive high tech door stop.

Games are particularly good at generating "WOW" factor, especially for the mass market. If i could play the games I enjoy on an Amiga I wouldn't need to use the PC half as much.

Just because these games exist on another platform does not detract from their appeal. The games I listed either originated on consoles or have since been converted to console. Does that mean PS2 users "basically want a PC running Windows XP"? Of course not you fool.

It would be nice to have original ground breaking software to show off the new platform but this takes time to produce, whereas a port of an existing title has most work done, minus the platform dependant code. This means lower costs / shorter development times (depending on the software houses' setup) combined with an established brand identity.

Have the Amiga developers of Doom and Quake been wasting their time? I say hell no, more please.

A few bedroom coded games and more Tetris clones will not make anyone rush for their cheque book. Particularly me.

How about posting IDEAS instead of criticism which has obviously not been thought through?

Offline Rudei

• Show only replies by Rudei
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 09:30:54 AM »
@amiga_boy

How about posting IDEAS instead of dumb ass comments?

A little harsh I think there mate.  I agree with your point though, it would be nice to have some ORIGINAL ground breaking games.  Sadly, I don`t think this will happen for a while as the OS isn`t quite finished yet - just my opinion.

Rude!
2017 Camaro 2SS

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 09:42:17 AM »
I want Super Mario Sunshine and Super Monkey Ball. Luckily, I have a GameCube, so its all good  ;-)  :-D

Actually, OS4 for the GameCube, combined with this, along with some sort of network card and hard disk would be awesome. Oh well... I can dream  :-D

Mind you, both the PS/2 and X-Box have linux. I know its never going to happen, but if Hyperion struck a deal with Nintendo to offer a network card/hard disk/keyboard/mouse/OS4 pack for the gamecube, they'd corner the market on operating systems for that platform, and it already has a PPC processor :-D

I know, i know... wouldn't happen for millions of reasons, but it would make a cool little system.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 09:46:10 AM »
How about posting IDEAS instead of dumb ass comments?

And what about irrealistic expectations? Will anyone consider buying an Amiga more because you can buy 2-3 (5-10?) years old games for it? A fraction of the million you can get for the faster/cheaper/better supported wintel platform?

The titles you mentioned cost licensing fees - the more up to date, popular the game, the more expensive it is, and the more difficult to gain profit in a niche market like this one.

Hyperion, Epic etc. make all they can - but there are certain limitations both in means of manpower and business wise.

Offline Phantom206

• Show only replies by Phantom206
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 04:19:08 PM »
1. Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (THE best football simulator, FIFA is completely crap)

2. Metal Gear Solid 2 and Splinter Cell (Top-notch stealth and action games)

3. Adventures from this ####-machine called pc (e.g. Syberia, Post Mortem, Longest Journey)

4. Formula and flight simulators (these will show what AmigaOne and OS4.0 made for) :-D

5. The most software publishers return to Amiga format....

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 05:05:09 PM »

Warface wrote:

And what about irrealistic expectations?

What expectations? I started a post asking what games users would have in their wishlist for Amiga software. And what do I get? First someone says I'm advocating the Wintel duopoly (where the hell did that come from?), then I'm criticised for wanting something decent to play if I buy a VERY expensive new Amiga.

Will you pay around £1000 just to run Amidock and MediaToolbox?

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 06:29:14 PM »
wow! that looks AWESOME!!!  I need to dload this for my linux box..

DethKnight wrote:
well I accidentally discovered this while surfing "icewalk" for some linux apps

http://w1.877.telia.com/~u87741119/

thats Enrapture , supposedly similar to Elite
its 3D accel'd and runs on linux.....
the possibilities are intrigueing
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Hardboy

• Show only replies by Hardboy
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 07:15:45 PM »
@amiga_boy
One reason hat people gets a little upset could be that this topic has talken through so many times. If you better games for the amiga-platform, then buy those which allready exists - IF the software company still supports the platform..

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »
Just buy a PC to play the games in this thread. You'll never see Amiga ports for them - unless you can put up $100,000 each or so for the licences. Or better still, buy a Playstation 2 - much more value for money.

Offline WarPiper

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 08:17:13 PM »
@ AMIGA_BOY, I AGREE!!!!!

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Just because these games exist on another platform does not detract from their appeal. The games I listed either originated on consoles or have since been converted to console. Does that mean PS2 users "basically want a PC running Windows XP"? Of course not you fool.

UMM, when I go and chuck a good $1200 to $1400 out on a new amiga system, the first thing I am going to do is run out and buy my very first game for it,  [color=FF0000]PONG![/color][/b]

THEN AFTER THAT, AN AMIGA EMULATOR SO I MAY RUN TONS OF ALL THOSE CRAPPY ANCIENT GAMES THAT LOOK LIKE THE ORIGINAL NINTENDO OR OLD ATARI 8 BIT GAMES THAT WE CAN GET OFF THE AMINET, I MEAN LIKE AFTER ALL, i HAVE THIS VERY POWERFUL NEW AMIGA COMPUTER THAT CAN AMAZINGLY DO ALL THAT, IT IS AFTER ALL A HOBBY COMPUTER

WHO NEEDS REAL QUALITY SOFTWARE AND GAMES WHEN WE ALL HAVE AMINET AND ALL THE PAST YEARS OF LAME ASS GAMES AND PROGRAMS READY TO BE RUN ON THIS NEW MONSTER OF AN AMIGA :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

I CAN NOT BELIEVE SOME OF THESE POEPLE IN HERE, SEEMS LIKE THEY WANT TO MOVE FORWARD AND STAY IN THE DARK AGES AT THE SAME TIME (ALA FRED FLINTSTONE WITH A BIG SCREEN TV)

OK GUYS, IT KINDA LIKE WALKING, IN ORDER TO TAKE ONE FULL STEP FORWARD, YOU NEED TO MOVE BOTH FEET!!!!!!
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 08:41:34 PM »
WarPiper, your caps lock appears to be broken.  Please fix.

And I don't know about you, but when I walk, I move one foot at a time, I think you'll find that you do too :-)

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2003, 08:55:21 PM »
OS4 needs to be released, with a dev kit, before any real speculation on games can be made.  It's still one step at a time folks.
Regards,
Targhan