Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Time to reset the arcade?  (Read 3111 times)

Description:

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Time to reset the arcade?
« Reply #14 from previous page: August 14, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »
The arcade scoreboards are accumulating some cruft, for sure.  I wouldn't be against flushing them out every so often.  My only thought is it would be kind of cool to keep an "all time highest score" noted somewhere, just for recording of the epic wins that may be unlikely to be repeated.  It certainly doesn't need to be live... It could even be just a little flat text file tucked away somewhere.  Each time before the high scores are flushed, check if the current high score is higher than the "all time highest score" and update, if necessary.  

But I think a main arcade reset every so often, and letting the live scoreboards, trophies, and "champion" designations be for the current leaders of each game is a good idea.  It is kind of funny how all the trophies gravitated to be divided up between a handful of people.  As X-Ray said, I suspect there will probably be a lot of the "usual suspects" dominating their respective games again after a short while...  But in the meantime, it'll be a fresh slate for everyone.  Sounds like a good thing, to me.

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 02:06:36 PM »
To be honest, I'm just finding myself dismayed at the number of people who didn't even know the arcade existed -- despite it being a major choice on the menu at the top and side.

If you consider how bewildering it is that people didn't even see the arcade, maybe everyone can start to understand my maddening frustration at the people who get upset with the site because they can't figure out how to do even the simplest of reply tasks in the forums "because it's not like the old AO or Amigaworld".

Everything you could want or need in a web site should be currently available, and usually in plain sight (like finding "YOUR POSTS" on the Quick Links menu, which is a continual question...)

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
Hi Wayne,

Maybe its time to add an IQ test game to the arcade. That may clarify a few things :laughing:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »
I'm all for reseting it.

Some of the places where I play the most online games reset every week.

So basically it is a "Weekly Tournament".  It's kinda nice that way as you don't get so bored playing the same games.  Each week you have chance to kick each others butts.

Just a thought.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »
The arcade scores were reset at noon on the 1st of September.

Play on.
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 10:02:20 PM »
Cheers Dude, but don't tell Ilwrath, as Sandy is quietly trying to get the Tetris high score. Oops ! I've said too much :lol:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 06:27:14 PM »
LOL!  Too late on that.  I currently also have the Mahjong title, which won't last long until Adz or X-Ray notices.  ;)