Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clicking on a thread takes me to the last message.  (Read 4997 times)

Description:

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Clicking on a thread takes me to the last message.
« on: September 07, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »
When I click on a thread topic from the main screen's "RECENT FORUM TOPICS" , I am always taken to BOTTOM message of the first page in the thread top. The old behavior used to be to take the reader to the top/first message instead. I then have to scroll up the whole thread to the top to start reading the first message. This feature/bug is annoying. Just thought I should let an administrator know.

In case it matters, I am using the Firefox 61.0.1 under Lubuntu.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
Re: Clicking on a thread takes me to the last message.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »
Its a user option, change it in your profile.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 05:02:42 PM »
That is really annoying.  Care to share where the setting is?  I poked around in "Profile" but didn't see anything obvious.  Also, will the tools to attach pictures to posts be returning?  Thanks!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »
I can't find the profile setting your are describing.
I did find this setting:

"Show most recent posts at the top." (with a checkbox)

...but that's NOT what I want to do. I like the format of oldest message at the top, most recent message at the bottom. It's just that when I click a thread, I like to be taken to the topmost OLDEST message, not the bottom-most recent message, because most times I want to read through the whole thread to catch up.  If I wanted the most recent message, I would have clicked the little icon on the main screen that would have taken me there.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
I actually like being sent to the last post in a thread. Saves a lot of scroll time. Besides, if you're already following a thread and have read the previous comments, going to the last post makes a lot of sense.

I would still like to have the "Users Online" at the top to quickly see who's online. That would also save some scroll time. As it is now, I keep two tabs open, one at the bottom of the page and one at the top of the page.
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:30:25 AM »
I did find this setting:

...but that's NOT what I want to do. I like the format of oldest message at the top, most recent message at the bottom. It's just that when I click a thread, I like to be taken to the topmost OLDEST message, not the bottom-most recent message, because most times I want to read through the whole thread to catch up.  If I wanted the most recent message, I would have clicked the little icon on the main screen that would have taken me there.

That option should be unticked.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 12:16:36 PM »
I did find this setting:

That option should be unticked.

It was unticked. My question to you is: is that the setting in profiles you were referring to above. If so, it does not accomplish what I was was trying to remedy in my post a the top of this message.

I find the whole default behaviour "take users to the last post when clicking a thread title from the main screen" not necessary, when there already is a small icon to do that near the "Last Post" column at right (or at least there was in the old version of the forum). With the old behaviour, you had the choice of going to the first message of the thread by clicking on its title, or the latest (last) by clicking on this icon. Now you only have the one choice (last message).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:20:37 PM by Ral-Clan »

Offline paul1981

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
Ral-Clan is correct - presently I see no option in the account settings to customise this behaviour of whether a user is taken to the top post of the thread or the bottom post. The current behaviour is the opposite of the old behaviour (before the upgrade).

Offline zipper

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
First unread would be most usable!