Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigakit and their customer service...  (Read 42795 times)

Description:

Offline PainkillerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Painkiller
Re: Amigakit and their customer service...
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 04:54:43 PM »

Darrin wrote:
Surely this would have been the option for you:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=106

Nope Infinitiv Tower doesn't accept standard 3.5" floppy drives with faceplate, atleast not mine :( the eject button is the problem (Infinitiv tower has its own faceplate with own eject button and dust shield, to my understanding the eject button is placed to that it would fit perfectly to a original Amiga floppy drive). After little digging could be that original A1200 Panasonic drive is the only one that fits perfectly. Doesn't really matter if I would have gotten an original Amiga drive then fine my mistake if it didn't fit, but surely I wouldn't have wasted my money one these when I have countless of PC drives at my home that can easily be modified... I expected original A1200 drive and I didn't get one.

The real problem here is that Amigakit isn't willing to compensate me in any way.

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 05:15:52 PM »

Painkiller wrote:

The real problem here is that Amigakit isn't willing to compensate me in any way.

Wouldn't they compensate you by taking the drives back and refunding the purchase price?  You did make an assumption when you ordered that could have been easily addressed if you had asked them about it ahead of time.  The listing dosen't say NOS anywhere on it.  Its listed for machines from 1992.  And they say mechanisms may vary.  If those drives fit in A600 and A1200 cases and work as Amiga drives did then the most anyone can say is that it would have been nice if they used additionally, the word "compatible" in the listing.  It sounds like you want to keep the drives anyway but get 20 Euro back.  Why should they agree to that?

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
I don't want to keep those drives I'd like to send them back but it costs almost 40 euros for me to send them back so what is the point really when they won't refund shipping for me? Nor did they say they would take them back as according to them they have not mispresented their product... I don't like the fact that they can mispresent their products like this and then just wash their hands with it.

Offline ffastback

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »

Painkiller wrote:
I don't want to keep those drives I'd like to send them back but it costs almost 40 euros for me to send them back so what is the point really when they won't refund shipping for me? Nor did they say they would take them back as according to them they have not mispresented their product...

How much your post office charges is hardly their problem.  And are you saying they refuse to take them back?  Because it sounds like instead you are carefully wording it that they did not explicitly offer to do so in conversations you have had with them so far.

Especially based on their posted return policy (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/shipping.php) its important to be very careful as to what you order and ask questions first.  As it only seems to address faulty items.  But I think they should meet you half-way and take them back for a refund of the items themselves.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 05:33:32 PM »
Yes they will take them back if faulthy product or mispresented, but according to them it isn't and they wont take it back.

Yes I know hardly their problem what my post office charges, well actually it is since their fault in the first place. A company should pay all the return fees if product is not what promised etc. Why do you think MS is paying for the warranty shipments? We have this thing called REILU MEININKI here in Finland and this isn't one of those cases by a long shot ;)

I guess I will sell these here with proper discription of the item and get what I can. After this avoid dealing with shops like Amigakit in the future.

Offline ffastback

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »

Dwyloc wrote:
The last Amiga A1200 made by Amiga Technologies also used modified PC driver rather than Amiga ones so its possible that is what you have been supplied.

As such they would be real A600/A1200 drives just to the same as the Commodore supplied ones, not that that really helps you.

So it sounds like there is no such thing as a "real" Amiga drive.  So long as it fits in the A600 and A1200 case and reads and writes Amiga floppies then.  

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »

Painkiller wrote:
Yes they will take them back if faulthy product or mispresented, but according to them it isn't and they wont take it back.

Yes I know hardly their problem what my post office charges, well actually it is since their fault in the first place. A company should pay all the return fees if product is not what promised etc. Why do you think MS is paying for the warranty shipments? We have this thing called REILU MEININKI here in Finland and this isn't one of those cases by a long shot ;)

I guess I will sell these here with proper discription of the item and get what I can. After this avoid dealing with shops like Amigakit in the future.

I understand your frustration, but I don't think you can blame Amigakit.  These are A1200/A600 drives and they have to come with buttons that match the A1200/A600 desktop eject holes.  I've fitted 2 A1200 motherboards to Elbox towers and one of those drives (original to the A1200) didn't fit the faceplate correctly and I had to do some cutting and sanding.  Meanwhile the other one was perfect.

Now, if you had said in your order that you wanted these drives to fit in your particular make of tower then I'd back you 100%.  The advert says they're A1200/A600 drives, they are A1200/A600 drives and I can understand why a small niche company like AmigaKit doesn't want to eat the shipping costs.

They promised an A1200/A600 drive and you got one.  They didn't promise a drive that would fit into a certain tower.

That other drive I linked to doesn't say in the description that it won't fit into an A3000D.

Looks like you've both lost out here.  You've lost some cash and they've lost a good customer.  :-(
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 05:52:44 PM »

ffastback wrote:
Nice its even cheaper than what he originally bought.   :-D

Yep, it's not a bad price at all.  I wonder if it will work as a high density drive in my A4000.  It might be worth having one as a back-up.  :-)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »
We have stated that we will accept the drives back for a refund of the product price (but not the shipping costs).  

We were originally requested to refund the full price of the goods without customer even returning them to us (because they did not meet the customer's requirements).

The drives are not sold to accomodate third party tower systems- if we had known they were for an Infinitiv tower, we could have provided a compatible solution before shipping the items, at no extra cost to the customer. We are happy to provide bespoke customisations to products before dispatch.

We didn't expect to receive abusive/offensive emails from this customer.

www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline twizzle

• Show only replies by twizzle
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »
i have agree with amigakit on this.
if you cannot see what you want or need then there only a phone call away  :-)

its no use buying something that you think will fit just because it looks right.
do like i do, if in doubt phone.
mathew is only to glad to help out  :-D

Offline Ruud

• Show only replies by Ruud
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »

amigakit wrote:
We have stated that we will accept the drives back for a refund of the product price (but not the shipping costs).  

We were originally requested to refund the goods without customer returning them to us (because they did not meet the customer's requirements).

The drives are not sold to accomodate third party tower systems- if we had known they were for an Infinitiv tower, we could have provided a compatible solution before shipping the items, at no extra cost to the customer. We are happy to provide bespoke customisations to products before dispatch.

We didn't expect to receive abusive/offensive emails from this customer.

I work in retail here in the UK and that sounds reasonable and within consumer law (UK).  It's a shame the drives didn't turn out to be right but in Painkiller's position, considering they needed to fit a particular case I would blame myself for not asking before ordering them.  As a retailer it is very hard to cover every single base when offering goods for sale.  Consumers will often presume things that never occur to yourself.  

Cheers,
Rudi.
"We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »
Just to make things clear. I don't exactly see where Amigakit is offering me refund.

Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 04:39:13
Hi,
I'm not pleased at all to see that the internal A1200/A600 are not original parts. I can modify my own drives if I want (which I have plenty in my corners). This drive doesn't suit the original infinity tower which requires original drives to support the eject button on infinity tower. That is 43 euros wasted for nothing. What sall we do, it costs me about 40 euros to ship them back...

Regards,
Antti Jarvinen

Customer Services (Matthew) on 2008-12-29 05:32:34
The floppy drive buttons are in the same position as the original drives.

Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 05:49:00
Doesn't really help as Infinity Tower uses the orginal metal part of the eject button which differs drastically from PC drives. This drive won't fit in Infinity Tower. It should be mentioned that these are modified PC drives. Would have saved me the trouble and money. Now how will you refund me as it is clear that it doesn't make any sense to ship these items back?

Customer Services (Matthew) on 2008-12-29 05:52:32
We do not offer refunds unless the items are returned to us in good condition as per our terms of sales and returns as displayed on our webstore and when you checkout and agree to terms of sales/returns.

Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 06:00:15
Fine. I will ship these drives back and expect full refund including shipping. The product is clearly misrepresented on your website. Could you give me address for returns so I can ship these back?

Customer Services (Matthew) on 2008-12-29 06:05:43
We do not refund shipping charges. The item is not misrepresented - it is a floppy drive for an A1200/A600- exactly as described:

"Amiga internal 3.5" floppy disk drive for the Amiga A1200 or A600.

Brand new and guaranteed. Drive mechanism may vary."

If you email us before ordering - we are happy to advise on compatibility and answer any questions you have. We advise customers to do this if they wish to check details.

Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 06:15:37
It doesn't say anywhere that these are modified PC drives. If you sell an internal amiga floppy drive, one would expect it to be used with original amiga parts, but as is this drive doesn't even support the original A1200 eject button if one likes to use it nor is this drive compatible with Infinity Tower. I was expecting a fully compatible A1200 internal drive and I got this POS PC drive which I could modified myself.

Customer Services (Matthew) on 2008-12-29 06:28:10
There are no specific Amiga 880K floppy drives parts - Commodore and Escom/AT all used PC floppy drives modified to work with the Amiga- sometimes with jumpers, sometimes with hard wiring.

The A1200 floppy button varied in design depending on whether the A1200 had an Epson, Chinon, Teac, Panasonic or Sony drive. The Teac drives even featured three different designs of eject button.

The description does not confirm compatibility with the Infinitiv tower system- it specifies the Amiga 1200 or 600 as the suitable computers.

[here is where I lost it]
Antti Jarvinen on 2008-12-29 06:46:01
Be upfront and mention that the are modified PC drives. {bleep} I wouldn't have bought them if I knew it. Merry xmas to you assholes and your {bleep}ty customer service.

Offline broken

• Show only replies by broken
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 07:56:18 PM »
Painkiller,

You sound a bit like an asshole in your communications with Amigakit. They are being polite and courteous and offering a refund minus shipping costs and you are using every opportunity to swear and be pig headed about things.

How in the world would it cost you 40 euros to ship them back?

Perhaps if you simply emailed or called them ahead of time, all this trouble could have been avoided?

Offline ffastback

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 08:04:37 PM »
@Painkiller

I have to agree with Broken.  All you did by posting your communication exchange was verify that Amigakit was fair and courteous.  

There are no specific Amiga 880K floppy drives parts - Commodore and Escom/AT all used PC floppy drives modified to work with the Amiga- sometimes with jumpers, sometimes with hard wiring.

The A1200 floppy button varied in design depending on whether the A1200 had an Epson, Chinon, Teac, Panasonic or Sony drive. The Teac drives even featured three different designs of eject button.

The description does not confirm compatibility with the Infinitiv tower system- it specifies the Amiga 1200 or 600 as the suitable computers.

Unless someone can dispute what they say above they sold you what they said they were selling.  Its seems you are so angry about the money and your foolishness not to ask that you are childishly taking it out on Amigakit instead.

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
@broken
I know I got carried away there, but my first support request was reasonable and I asked them that what shall we do and how do they reply me... Well read it your self. Just put your self in my shoes. I have been waiting a long time to put my Infinitiv Tower back together and then I see these drives and know that the Infinitiv is designed to acommodate internal A1200 drive. Oh well the Infinitiv tower isn't perfect either, but still this product is not what it is supposed to be.

Absolute minun that I could send would be 26,40 euros. Doesn't really make sense even then. As priority mail it would cost 43,10 euros. Yes I know freaking Itella and their prices :( It is cheaper for me to order stuff from Hong Kong to my door step than to send the same package inside Finland, so that my friend can pic it up from the nearest post office. Funny thing is Itella is the one who delivers the package that comes from Hong Kong :)

@ffastback
Drives that came with Amiga didn't have dremel cut upper shell or cut and glued together eject button to fit A1200/A600 case. These drives have. Simple mention that these are modified drives is all that would have been needed, but they don't give you that info on the page as a consumer I have the right to know this without further inquery. It is like buying a new car from a store and asking if it has been crashed and then repaired...

Offline Lorraine

• Show only replies by Lorraine
/
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 29, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
/