Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Learning from DOOM  (Read 6277 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: Learning from DOOM
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;652478
I should take a photo of my DOOM collection some day, I got novels, minitures, posters, sealed games, giant books on editing, every commercial game based on the engine (which were mostly puzzle/rpg Franko), you name it, massive collection!

DOOM III? What's so Doom about it? Reminded me more of System Shock light. Not DOOM, horrid story (I like the one in the DOOM bible better), but not bad if you just get past the title, though not one of ID's usual works of art. DOOM 4 sounds promising though.

As for the movie... What movie?

Actually DOOM was inspired by Alien and Evil Dead.

I agree the movie was pretty crap. Especially the end sequence where they "tried" to recreate the first person shooter using the camera. LAME.

My best experience was hooking my PSX up to the HiFi, putting on huge head phones that blocked out external sound, pulling my recliner up close to the screen, turning out the lights, and playing long hours into the night.

Scared the piss out of me!!!

HAHA! i did this too. I had my ps1 hocked up to my hifi. The plasma gun sounded cool through my 15 inch subwoofer :D

My favourite level on the ps1 version was "sever the wicked" :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »
The movie was a pile of steaming turd!
The BOARD GAME was.... very good to be honest, it has cool miniatures too. If you look around it's not hard to find either, it's by Fantasy Flight and second hand boxes go for about £60-70.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
I never got into Doom to be honest, but I liked Quake.

Doom is just Zombie Apocalypse 2 with the added tedium of having to walk around. :-p *runs from the Doom fans*

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;652489
This actually happens to me on a regular basis usually when i play Call of Duty online multiplayer. But it also happened with DOOM too. For me it was the Rocket Launcher i remember the most :)

I think it happens when you play something chaotic for too long :confused:

I remember I nearly passed out once after standing up from my seat after playing a 2-3 hour deathmatch session. Swollen tounge dry mouth.... Okay time for a break now.
I can't remember if it was the game or our rules but the first one to 100 Frags and to click the exit won.  The others would try to stop you so the trick was to have the BFG and fire it just before you went into the exit corridor. We always played a small area map. Tense times.  Quake 2 had me up late mornings as well.
I never played either game from beginning to the end in single player.  I liked playing real people on computer games more.

I did use to marvel at the detail and the art.  That orange sky in Quake II and the landing pods screeming through the air.

Doom 3 I played single player all the way through.  Hard last levels and veddy scary in spots.  As Xdelusion would say... Pee Pee time action...

Offline motrucker

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »

My best experience was hooking my PSX up to the HiFi, putting on huge head phones that blocked out external sound, pulling my recliner up close to the screen, turning out the lights, and playing long hours into the night.

I used to do that, except I ran it through my huge speakers (320 watt RMS amp) - used to make the neighbors really hate me, but it was fun.....
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 04:25:58 PM »
I should take a photo of my DOOM collection some day, I got novels, minitures, posters, sealed games, giant books on editing, every commercial game based on the engine (which were mostly puzzle/rpg Franko), you name it, massive collection!

DOOM III? What's so Doom about it? Reminded me more of System Shock light. Not DOOM, horrid story (I like the one in the DOOM bible better), but not bad if you just get past the title, though not one of ID's usual works of art. DOOM 4 sounds promising though.

As for the movie... What movie?

Actually DOOM was inspired by Alien and Evil Dead.

Do you have the Reaper Miniatures 25mm scale DOOM figs?  Including the massive 4" tall cyberdemon and similarly-sized Spider Mastermind?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
I'm not a huge FPS fan, but there have been a few I liked, and DOOM was one of them..
It just seemed to be paced well..
Beyond that, I liked some of the funny ones...
Duke Nukem 3D and Redneck Rampage (Hush Puppies!!)...
Tried a few more, but got bored..  Still pull out those three from time to time..
I did try and enjoyed Prey recently..  Loved the voice acting...
But its a genre that I enjoy a few games from.  Unfortunately, everything seems to be that genre now.
I remember I liked Neverwinter Nights, and a friend told me I had to try Oblivian.  So I swing by and he shows me, and it's a First Person game!!  Aarrgh! (OK, I found out later you can do 3rd person, but I like my RPGs top down.. ;-)

desiv
p.s.  You don't know how difficult it was NOT to add "like I like my women" somewhere in that comment above...  ;-)
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;652452
If you were thinking to yourself "gee, I feel like reading a 4000-word Doom level design retrospective on an architecture blog

actually that looks like a fun article. thanks!
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
Yeah, that was actually a very interesting read. I'm no more than a layman when it comes to architecture, but the guy did a good job of explaining what he was talking about.

I do like the surrealist level designs of DOOM - far more evocative and interesting than your modern shooters where every last one of them is nearly indistinguishable.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;652496
The movie was a pile of steaming turd!
The BOARD GAME was.... very good to be honest, it has cool miniatures too. If you look around it's not hard to find either, it's by Fantasy Flight and second hand boxes go for about £60-70.

There is an expansion for the board game too.

I had them both, and my X and I spent a lot of time painting the miniatures. Needless to say when we split, I ditched the memories too.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
You lot a are weird... :crazy:

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;652533
Do you have the Reaper Miniatures 25mm scale DOOM figs?  Including the massive 4" tall cyberdemon and similarly-sized Spider Mastermind?

I have a few, but gave up collecting before I nabbed them all.

Franko: This article is a great read for non-Doomers as well. It's more about art than gameplay really, not to mention a criticism on modern FPS'
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 06:37:11 AM »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 08:02:50 AM »
HAHA! If Franko does not like first person shooters then why does he have them on his Youtube channel? :confused:

I can't remember what they were. Alien breed 3d? Gloom? Fears?

PS Am i the only one here who thinks Alien Breed 3d is nothing more than a Doom wannabe?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;652649
HAHA! If Franko does not like first person shooters then why does he have them on his Youtube channel? :confused:

I can't remember what they were. Alien breed 3d? Gloom? Fears?

PS Am i the only one here who thinks Alien Breed 3d is nothing more than a Doom wannabe?

Cos I put them there for a thread here (which you took part in) last year just to show them running on an A1200 with an 060 board... ;)

I still don't like these type of games as they really all play the same and look the same to me (especially all the modern ones on PC's & consoles), ie: run around shooting and blowing up everything in sight with the odd chance (if your lucky) of finding a hidden location... pretty boring really.. :)

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 02, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
Doom was good when I finally got to play it, but I do think the Amiga clones it spawned where just as good, I loved blowing away the Aliens in Alien Breed 3d and Gloom when you turned the messy version on to see all the body parts bounce around the room and leave it in a mess. Great Fun! So I dont think I missed out too much on not playing Doom until it arrived to the Amiga.

To be honest the first real FPS that left me with a lasting impressive on how good these type of games could be was Half Life.