Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Resource hungry operating system  (Read 5416 times)

Description:

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
Re: Resource hungry operating system
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 09, 2010, 05:21:13 PM »
@ajlwalker

You are a mean person.

@thread

Sound and vision are perhaps the worst offenders. If we'd simply return to monophonic sound and monochrome displays, all our worries would be over. Let's ditch the fancy input devices as well. I'd much rather go back to systems that simply run what I tell them to run when I apply power.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
Quote from: Trev;583724

Sound and vision are perhaps the worst offenders. If we'd simply return to monophonic sound and monochrome displays, all our worries would be over. Let's ditch the fancy input devices as well. I'd much rather go back to systems that simply run what I tell them to run when I apply power.

None of that DMA rubbish either, also, what was wrong with simple CPU driven framebuffers eh?

And basic, it's gotta have basic!

:roflmao:
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
There's many reasons that software requires more resources.

Choice of language, programming style, add in libraries.

How you add features is very important, do you:
1) Change the architecture of the app, refactor and integrate the new features
or
2) Just bolt it on
Answer 1 will lead to a more efficient system, but it'll take a lot longer to do.
In reality answer 2 is what you'll get pretty much every time.

Backwards compatibility often means option 1 is not an option so in adding features you may end up having to repeat things that are already there.

The availability of cheap fast hardware with oodles of memory means developers simply don't have to care about efficiency, there's so much computing power available you simply won't notice even if something is incredibly inefficient.

I can remember running BeOS with 32MB on my 120MHz desktop quite happily about 10 years ago.
You'll soon see dual core 1GHz phones with 1GB memory.

OTOH Sometimes it's just plain bad coding, in fact there's probably rather a lot of that:

I know of one (well known) application that was ported to mobile devices only to find it ran like a dog.  The reason was it was doing some incredibly stupid things that were completely unnecessary. That app had to be rewritten.

This is likely to become more common, the mobile environment is not very forgiving of badly written software.

Offline the_leander

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 05:34:02 PM »
Quote from: minator;583727

I can remember running BeOS with 32MB on my 120MHz desktop quite happily about 10 years ago.

Thinkpad 390 with 233Mhz P1, 64Mb ram, Neomagic graphics chip here.

Ended up giving it to my sister, only to get a phone call about 3 weeks later to tell me that her puppy had chewed through the power cable :D

I actually got Windows 2000 to run on that laptop at one point, beyond taking an age to boot up, it was fairly snappy to use one it got going...

I know of one (well known) application that was ported to mobile devices only to find it ran like a dog.  The reason was it was doing some incredibly stupid things that were completely unnecessary. That app had to be rewritten.

Oh come on! Name and shame  :lol:
Blessed Be,

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;583725

BASIC!? That implies an interpreter, probably in ROM. If anything, it needs a mechanical switch to keep power away from the CPU until a punch card is inserted.

Offline Trev

• Zero
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
Choice of language

My C compiler writes way better assembly than I do. ;-)

I can remember running BeOS

Sigh. One of several operating systems that could have (or rather, should have) been the next AmigaOS....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:10:29 PM by Trev »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 08:47:19 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;583725
None of that DMA rubbish either, also, what was wrong with simple CPU driven framebuffers eh?

:roflmao:

basic in ROM or GTFO :)

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »
When you have a look at MacOS X 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 you may notice something interesting: Each of them added functionality but ran faster than it´s predecessor. The amount of RAM used was however increasing, but never doubling.
Clearly they were trading time for space, which is quite common, I believe.

So efficiency is a tradeoff in any case. But if an OS runs slower and needs more RAM and only adds features that aren´t noticed by the casual user ...

... I could´t justify recommending that, even if it was "modern" and "compatible".

I don´t mind eye-candy though. Most of the time it comes pretty cheap. Beautiful pixels take as much RAM as ugly ones.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
I voted "Other" since it really depends on why the OS bloated up.  Is it doing 2 or 3 times what the original OS was capable of doing?  If so, then I can't see a reason to complain.  I'm sure most of us on AO probably started with booting their Amiga each time with a floppy in the drive and compare that to say Fedora Core 13 DVD.  Very hard to compare the two, but each is capable of booting the OS into operation.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;583655
Do you think an operating system having twice the resource requirements of it's predecessor for only a couple of extra features is a step forward or a step backward?

Seems that it would be hard for almost anyone (including Bill Gates) to answer 'step forward' to this question because of the way you worded it, IMO.

Offline the_leander

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 10:24:35 PM »
Quote from: runequester;583753
basic in ROM or GTFO :)

Hehehe!

Quote from: Trev;583734
BASIC!? That implies an interpreter, probably in ROM. If anything, it needs a mechanical switch to keep power away from the CPU until a punch card is inserted.

Wow, we both got served here! :lol:
Blessed Be,

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 10:26:01 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;583760
Hehehe!

Wow, we both got served here! :lol:

We'll challenge him to a duel. Slide rulers at dawn!

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 12:20:05 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;583655
Do you think an operating system having twice the resource requirements of it's predecessor for only a couple of extra features is a step forward or a step backward?

Do you have any real life examples of an OS doubling in resource requirements for "only a couple of extra features?"

To me, it sounds like you are talking out of ignorance of what happens between major OS revisions.

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2010, 01:21:21 AM »
Quote from: Linde;583770
Do you have any real life examples of an OS doubling in resource requirements for "only a couple of extra features?"

To me, it sounds like you are talking out of ignorance of what happens between major OS revisions.
One word "Windows" on just about every revision.
To a lesser extent Linux and Amiga OS from 3.1 to 3.9 and then OS 4.0.

If I was able to do everything I do now on an 8MB Amiga OS3.1 install and 16MB Windows 95 install what features am I getting now that take up 1GB+ RAM and a much much greater processor. I don't mind current web pages with flash taking up RAM and CPU cycles, but why does it need so much CPU and RAM just to idle the OS when you are playing a game.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:00:14 AM by ElPolloDiabl »
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline the_leander

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 01:36:28 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;583779
One word "Windows" on just about every revision.

Right, so you're complaining about 20 years of continuous development, with all the differences and developments in both hardware and software? 'kay.

To a lesser extent Linux

Depending on what you want to do, you can still get Linux systems that are pretty damned small.  A single floppy disk do for you?

Want a top end kde based desktop OS, with all the trimmings? You'll need a DVD, but you do at least get all your basic software (office etc) included in that.

and Amiga OS from 3.1 to 3.9 and then OS 4.0.

Cleaning out the assembler and BCPL made AOS slower.  Adding new functionality made it bigger.

If I was able to do everything I do now on an 8MB Amiga OS3.1 install and 16MB Windows 95 install what features am I getting now that take up 1GB+ RAM and a much much greater processor.

Multi user support, memory protection, support for modern hardware, filesharing, network stacks, bluetooth, usb stacks, backwards compatibility with 15+ years of software in Windows case...

I don't mind current web pages with flash taking up RAM and CPU cycles, but why does it so much just to idle the OS when you are playing a game.

Blessed Be,

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2010, 12:18:05 PM »
I don't mind current web pages with flash taking up RAM and CPU cycles, but why does it need so much CPU and RAM just to idle the OS when you are playing a game.

What exactly do you mean, "idle the OS" when playing a game?

We aren't living in the days when hardware was completely taken over by a single application and the OS evicted from the system. These days, games are applications that obey all the same rules as any other application. They run under the OS and use it to provide all the services (HID/graphics/audio/network etc) they need in order to function. The benefit to the game is that it doesn't need to know or care which hardware you are using, the OS sorts all that out for it. The OS provides abstracted access to the hardware.

So, when you are playing a modern game, the OS is doing plenty of work.
int p; // A