Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is your opinion or AROS and why?  (Read 5071 times)

Description:

Offline TomJTopic starter

• Show only replies by TomJ
What is your opinion or AROS and why?
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:05:22 AM »
What is your opinion of Aros?

What is the newest version you have tried?

What systems have you installed it on and how did it perform?

I myself have tried it from time to time, but am impressed by 1.4.2 though it did not work well in my Toshiba it worked rather well in a dell inspirion 6000 mounted on a usb drive.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
Re: What is your opinion or AROS and why?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »
Quote from: TomJ;699308
What is your opinion of Aros?

What is the newest version you have tried?

What systems have you installed it on and how did it perform?

I myself have tried it from time to time, but am impressed by 1.4.2 though it did not work well in my Toshiba it worked rather well in a dell inspirion 6000 mounted on a usb drive.

Hi,

I like AROS, basically because it does not need an old obsolete MAC to run. Right now it has difficulty with a lot of PC machines, so make sure it you are going to use it, look at the machines specs, and go with that.

I am using ICAROS Broadway, and I lke it when I use it. I just can't hook up to the internet with it, because Toshiba, requires special drivers for its internet card.

I also tried it on a 6 core AMD machine, last night, and it didn't even load in. Tried it on an XFX quad core and same results.

THATS WHY I SAID READ THE SPECS OF THE MACHINE IT RUN ON AND GET THAT.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »
Quote from: smerf;699310
I like AROS, basically because it does not need an old obsolete MAC to run.

It just needs an old, obsolete PC instead.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »
Quote from: Krashan;699318
Or a new PC (or an Amiga or an Amiga Emulator or a Raspberry Pi)... You get the picture :)

I'm biased as I've been involved with AROS since 1999, but AROS68k is for rumming your old apps, and AROS on whatever modern hardware you have for running your new apps... How awesome is that? X

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »
Still far too picky about what hardware it requires for my tastes.  I tried it again recently on an older machine and still had issues with it.  I guess this could be steered around by using the hosted version, but I'm not big on virtual OS'es.  

Ended up turning the machine back into an Amithlon rig and likely will leave it like that.  If I'm going to have to put together a bunch of old hardware, I might as well be doing it for an Amithlon machine.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
I've posted this many times, does anyone remember the earlier linux days? Back then you had to choose from specific lists of hardware (sound cards, video cards network cards) because only so many had drivers written for them.

In short, you really had to tailor the hardware in the machine you wanted to use to what was supported to avoid alot of hair pulling. If you took the time to use supported hardware, you had a pleasant experience.

Aros is much the same at this time because they can't support every video card/chipset, soundcard or sound chip set/network card/chipset.

You can use just about any computer, so long as you use a supported video, lan and sound card. I am now using (I think) an fx550, sblive and intel 100 network card in a 3.4ghz pc with 4 gigs ram. Its a very snappy and slick experience with this setup.

Most of my time is spent on linux these days, but I still keep watching aros develop. Its come so far since I started using it...  Been playing with it since right after the first native floppy boot disk became available.  Now with the distros available each with lots of software, its becoming really awesome.

I would like to learn to program some demo scene style demos for AROS eventually, but mostly I just use it for fun atm.

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Still today, linux hosted is the only way to get it running on most hardware. I have several machines that won't boot the native version, and precisely, the machines i have most interest in, are the ones who won't run it, so i have tu run it hosted. So telling that native works on all hardware old and new is false.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
I'm currently loving AspireOS on my Samsung netbook:knuddel:..nothing like having my Amiga fix on my couch :pint:check out http://www.aspireos.com for compatible models before installing it.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline smerf

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
Quote from: Krashan;699318

Yeah, but who actually keeps one. People keep old obsolete C64's, Atari's, Mac's, and even Radio Shacks Cocoa's, but who keeps an old PC.

Not I says the blind smerf.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline smerf

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;699320
Or a new PC (or an Amiga or an Amiga Emulator or a Raspberry Pi)... You get the picture :)

I'm biased as I've been involved with AROS since 1999, but AROS68k is for rumming your old apps, and AROS on whatever modern hardware you have for running your new apps... How awesome is that? X

What exactly new machine are you running it on. I have tried all the old goodies, like Packard Bell, Gateway, HP's, and even new homebuilt. If it doesn't hook up to the internet, then I give it look and put away. Internet use is a must today, if I have to fight to hook up to the internet, then I lose interest right away.

MorphOS hooked right up, AROS needs a list of network cards that work with it, names please, rtl wtf, is really useless, at least to me, I need facts, like netgear, linksys and model number.

I am to lazy to look through network card specs, as are most people. KISS (keep it simple stupid) is one of my favorite sayings especially if you want people to use it.

smerf

smerf

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »
Just run it in Fusion or Virtualbox.  AROS is quite happy in a VM.  Frankly I see no point in wanting a separate machine to run an OS.  Put all your money in one nice machine and run all your OSs on it.  I have a MacPro, I can run Lion hosting Windows 7, AROS and Linux in VMs without breaking a sweat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Yeah, but who actually keeps one. People keep old obsolete C64's, Atari's, Mac's, and even Radio Shacks Cocoa's, but who keeps an old PC.

I do. I have got an old Pentium 90 running Windows 95. It still works great and I used to play some classics on it. You can run even old version of Windows Messenger or Internet Explorer on it.

Anyway, back to topic. I tried AROS (icaros 1.3.3 ?) in VirtualPC some months ago. It boots fast but my overall experience was that it needs work. Wanderer was quite basic, Zune is quite basic, the gfx has strong retro touch on it, window decorations cant be changed without reboot. It could be much better if someone finished those small things. It wasnt bad but too much tinkering to my taste.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
Quote from: smerf;699352
What exactly new machine are you running it on. I have tried all the old goodies, like Packard Bell, Gateway, HP's, and even new homebuilt. If it doesn't hook up to the internet, then I give it look and put away. Internet use is a must today, if I have to fight to hook up to the internet, then I lose interest right away.

MorphOS hooked right up, AROS needs a list of network cards that work with it, names please, rtl wtf, is really useless, at least to me, I need facts, like netgear, linksys and model number.

I am to lazy to look through network card specs, as are most people. KISS (keep it simple stupid) is one of my favorite sayings especially if you want people to use it.

smerf

smerf

My old obsolete AROS box is a Home made ASUS MA7485-M Motherboard with an AMD T1055(built originally in 2010). Everything except the IGP is supported.  :P

here's the AROS HCL list tho.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_support
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline smerf

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:35:49 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;699360
My old obsolete AROS box is a Home made ASUS MA7485-M Motherboard with an AMD T1055(built originally in 2010). Everything except the IGP is supported.  :P

here's the AROS HCL list tho.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_support

Hi,

Thats why I like AROS, and support it more than MorphOS, even an old obsolete PC board is better than a 12 year old Mac.

Amy how don't want to start any arguments on which is the better OS, Will try to reload broadway again (hopefully icaros is the same as aros). If not any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks for the help,
will go up in the attic and see if I can find an old network card and soundblaster, haven't had to much problem with graphics, the radeon I have supports a lot of cards.

forgot to put in: Just joking about your system, nice.

smerf
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 06:38:20 PM by smerf »

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
I have the Icaros Desktop (v.1.4.2) distribution of AROS on a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a 3.2 GHz Hyper-threading P4 processor, 2 GB RAM, and 80 GB harddrive.  I got a 3Com 3c905c 10/100 NIC and NVidia 8400 GS PCI-E 256 MB video card.  For audio, I just used the systems integrated AC97 sound device.  Everything works flawlessly.  The new distributions are becoming very useable, especially with the new OWB internet browser.  It even works with Google docs (word processor, spreadsheet, etc...).  Also, its bundled media players play just about all the media I need.  Printing capability (PostScript) has recently been added though program support still needs to be ramped up. It comes with a lot of games and network tools.  I like it a lot.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz