Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did anyone try OS X Lion on a MBA?  (Read 7391 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Did anyone try OS X Lion on a MBA?
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 24, 2011, 08:17:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;651510
Say whatever you like I'll rather take false positives sometimes rather than data loss.

I'd rather not, when you consider that there was nothing wrong with the drive in the first place... ;)

After removing it from the MAC and not because of "just in case" it was because the MAC and it's poxy OS would not allow anything to be written to the disk any more because of these so called "S.M.A.R.T." errors. I tested it in a media box player and it worked fine and then I tested it on an Amiga (filled all 500GBs) and it worked fine & still does...

Point is after doing much reading about this so called "SMART" technology, it seems it's not very smart at all and prone to giving false errors thus forcing the user to buy a new drive and having to reinstall a whole ruddy system and data... :madashell:

I've even read that it's a marketing ploy by the manufactures just make sure we keep buying new HDs... :furious:

There are also programs the manufactures have to reset/ flash the chips on the HD to reset all the "SMART" parameters but they wont allow the public to have them because they say people would use the program to reset faulty HDs and resell them.... :(

Call me cynical but it's more like they wont release these programs so that the user is conned into purchasing a new HD instead of running a quick program that would save what is otherwise a perfectly working HD (not to mention all your data)... :madashell:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 08:24:01 PM »
Quote from: Piru;651430
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wiki+nih

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(Great site! Bookmarked for future reference! ;))
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline TheMud

• Show only replies by TheMud
    • http://www.houseofvoices.tk
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 11:58:13 PM »
I actually find Lion running much smoother, quicker and better than Snow Leopard on my iMac.

Only thing I miss is the old spaces. But probaly just till I get used to the new :-)

NO BUGS sofar
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.dailyroxette.com - My first passion next to Amiga

Offline TheMud

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 12:01:20 AM »
Forgot.

Downloaded Lion in 20 minutes... So gotta ask 20 Hours ? Do you have an old 56kb connection ?

Install took another 20 minutes.

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
Quote from: Piru;651462
I did answer the question.

No, sorry he deserved it.

Have we really become as lazy as to not google for 3 letter acronym we don't know about?

Since when has it become an insulting to point this out?

What ?!!?  Where did you "answer" the question ?  You gave him a link to six and a half MILLION results!!

And how on earth did he manage to deserve being insulted ?  I've re-read the thread and no-where was he deserving of anything, he merely stated he had no idea what NIH meant ... most normal people who know a factoid others don't are more than happy to enlighten .. looks like you're just a muppet who likes to think he is better than others.

Sorry, but I'm adding you to my list of things to smite when I become omnipotent ... you're just after mosquitos....

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 06:05:31 AM »
*Amiga* dot org right?
Its funny I dont seem to recall OSX being amiga related.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Franko

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 06:26:38 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;651566
*Amiga* dot org right?
Its funny I dont seem to recall OSX being amiga related.

I used to moan about that too but have come to realise you cant have it all your own way (as much as I try)... ;)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 07:42:01 AM »
More often than not I'll leave these sorts of things alone as there's a tenuous link between amiga and Macs/pcs/etc sometimes, but occassionally, like this thread and iPad threads I just dont get why it's here. In no way, shape or form related, its just flat-out OSX talk.
Any good Apple forums I can go and ask amiga questions please someone ?
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Franko

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;651572
More often than not I'll leave these sorts of things alone as there's a tenuous link between amiga and Macs/pcs/etc sometimes, but occassionally, like this thread and iPad threads I just dont get why it's here. In no way, shape or form related, its just flat-out OSX talk.

While I can see why some folk like to ask questions here to fellow Amiga users about other systems they own or use, I agree that it really has no place here on an "Amiga" site when it's not even slightly Amiga related... :)

I basically noticed a rather smart arse comment made by Piru and decided to comment on that then I somehow got onto the subject of HDs (which are Amiga related) and ended up babbling about that... :)

But when all's said and done whether you and I don't agree to such threads being here, at the end of day we're still free to comment on it and make our feelings known on the matter, so it kinda balances itself out in the end I suppose... :)

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 08:00:01 AM »
I guess the best way to view these threads is that these are all Amigans looking for help from or talk about other things with people they know.  Asking these things on an Apple specific forum and you'll get views from people who aren’t grounded in the Amiga; there is no commonality.

The people who post in "OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS" here are looking for responses from people they have grown to trust or at least understand their view points.

Just think of A.ORG as the Amiga Pub of the innerwebz. ;)  People float from one table to another to talk about different topics but ultimately are all her for the same reason, whether they are talking about it right now or not... :D

Oh, and if you don't care about what is being said at one table at this time, you can always meander to another one or start up your own. ;)
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline dentunes

• Show only replies by dentunes
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »
Tested on Generation 2 MBA (Late 2010) and 2006 Mac Pro. Works fine. Seems to work like Snow Leopard did just with the new gestures etc. I did assign the F5 key I think it was to Launchpad as not having a button for it was pointless.

I am slowly getting used to the new gestures, I bought a trackpad for the Mac Pro, though there is one thing I don't like. Dashboard! I prefer how it come over the screen and was translucent. I use the calculator a lot and I often have numbers on the browser that I wish to refer to when using the calculator. Having to flick back and forth is annoying. I could probably find an app to do it but dashboard was perfect.

Oh well, can't win them all!
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »
Quote from: Sparky;651542
What ?!!?  Where did you "answer" the question ?  You gave him a link to six and a half MILLION results!!

Of which the 2nd is the obviously correct term. Surely we're not talking about National Institutes of Health...

And how on earth did he manage to deserve being insulted ?

For being lazy and not googling for it. Also, the "insulting" part is your invention. I don't find lmgtfy insulting at all.

As for your opinion of me, I don't give a damn really.

Offline TheMud

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
Computer Nerds Arguing and maybe later fighting ?? :-)

Well well... What can happen ? You hurt each other with your pocket protectors ? :-D

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:30 AM »
@nicholas:

What has the National Institute of Health got to do with the topic in question?

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;651572

This is the "other operating systems" subforum and considering the high number of mac users on this site, it's totally appropriate.

Offline TheMud

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;651603
This is the "other operating systems" subforum and considering the high number of mac users on this site, it's totally appropriate.

Couldnt agree more :-)