Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: new toy!!!!! Anyone heard of a GP32?  (Read 6155 times)

Description:

Offline tumash

• Show only replies by tumash
    • http://ldreams.net
Re: new toy!!!!! Anyone heard of a GP32?
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2003, 03:54:22 AM »
as I'm involved in handheld game developing I've seen this console beginning and saw its end. It jumped out of nowhere some time ago with very very veeeryy promising specs but it turned out to be long range failure, similar to the SAM (anyone remember this computer?).
It has everything that is needed to be a HIT besides one thingy - it isn't Ninten'doh.

I've been on GP32-dev mailing list for few months.. besides few "Hi" not much going on there. In fact, there wasn't any new post in days.
Tomasz \\\'tumash\\\' Staniak
LDE
http://ldreams.net
tumash@ldreams.net

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2003, 04:01:29 AM »
@tumash

i suppose its a competitor to the GBA, isnt it?

perhaps you would prefer people dont buy one because you develop for GBA?

i probably buy one soon...

Offline gonzoninja

• Show only replies by gonzoninja
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 04:12:50 AM »
I heard about this a while ago, but I'm not sure how it will catch on.

if you go to www.liksang.com you can see all sorts of stuff for it.
The Nature of Ninja is Irresponsible.

A1200 Blizz PPC 166/040 25, Mediator SX, Voodoo 3000, Soundblaster 128, Powerflyer Gold, 4GB HD 8XCDROM, Realtek 100Mbps Ethernet,  D-Link810+ Wireless Bridge

Offline tumash

• Show only replies by tumash
    • http://ldreams.net
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2003, 05:13:31 AM »
@iamaboringperson

i suppose its a competitor to the GBA, isnt it?

It is, or atleast it ought to be. As the main (and only) market was meant to be Korea this shouldn't be IMHO considered as competitor.
And IIRC the official release date of this handheld was February 2002.

perhaps you would prefer people dont buy one because you develop for GBA?

Not a bit.

If you like GBA, buy GBA. If you like GP32, then buy GP32.
We aren't talking about Amiga market where every new user makes the difference ;)
GBA has over 3M users.

My personal GBA is currently covered with 1.5 cm of dust. I hate using it because of the ####ty LCD.
I hoped GP32 would beat the GBA but it didn't.. it simply didn't mean to.

If you want to look for a handheld that is supposed to be GBA's competitor, take a look at NOKIA N-GAGE. It has ARM9 109MHz processor and 4096 on-screen colors.
BUT it also won't beat GBA because..... it isn't that impressive as the specs say. It has ####ty keys layout and is still a phone....
Tomasz \\\'tumash\\\' Staniak
LDE
http://ldreams.net
tumash@ldreams.net

Offline iamaboringperson

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2003, 05:50:31 AM »
@tumash

ok,  :-)  got nothing against that, ok  :-)

I heard it on a website: gp32 comes from korea
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2003, 05:58:57 AM »
i really do not know its sound quality but it displays 65536 colors on screen.

Offline iamaboringperson

Re: I heard it on a website: gp32 comes from korea
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2003, 06:09:39 AM »

powerpufffan wrote:
i really do not know its sound quality but it displays 65536 colors on screen.

and it has an ARM9 processor...

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
Re: I heard it on a website: gp32 comes from korea
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2003, 08:15:01 AM »
This sounds like the kinda toy my fat wallet has been itching to splurge on.

Bring it on.

crosses fingers for an Arm UAE port soon
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2003, 09:00:08 AM »
Devkits for gp32 are free for dl. And this machine has been available for quite some time. Measuring not in months or weeks, but over a year. iirc, it will soon be pushed into the american market as well (ofcourse, you can always order it from lik-sang or so).

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2003, 09:30:19 AM »
@erol

Apparently - there's a guy selling GP32s on ebay whos pissin' people about (don't know if it's this one), so buyer beware!

@Dan

Can be overclocked to 166Mhz too apparently (or even underclocked to extend battery life!)

@Tumash

Hehe - the Sam!  I've still got one of those gathering dust in the attic :-)  Cool little machine, just no support.  This one's different, cos there's already a massive back catalogue of stuff to use with it, and these days we have the all-powerful internet to get it from :-D

God knows if this thing is gonna catch on.  In a way - I hope it doesnt gain massive commercial success, because the 'spirit' goes out of it all then, and it turns into just another alternative platform.  Its cool to be part of a community of enthusiastic users (a la amiga.org), so I hope that if it does well, that still remains.

Who's tempted to get one then?  (only one more day until mine arrives!!!)

Cheers

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2003, 11:23:46 AM »
Me :-) this is very very very cool! ;-)
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline dezignersrepublic

• Show only replies by dezignersrepublic
    • http://www.findingthem.com
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2003, 12:18:41 PM »
ME WANT!!!
--

Offline Martyn

• Show only replies by Martyn
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2003, 01:04:48 PM »
There also appears to be a conversion of Pinball Dreams available.  Yes, that one.
Create by a company called Logik State from Sheffield, UK.  Does anyone know who they are? Or if this is a legal conversion?!

They list their dev team's partial CV as:

Mr Blobby (Amiga/Millenium)
Super Street Fighter II The New Challengers (Amiga/US Gold)
Sports Trivia (Sega Gear/Adrenalin)
Newman Haas Racing (Playstation/PC/Psygnosis)
Formula One 99 (Playstation/Psygnosis)
Soldier Of Fortune (Dreamcast/Crave)
Super Troll Islands (Sega Mega Drive/Millennium)
Shadowman (PC-Playstation-Dreamcast/Acclaim)
Spec Ops Omega Squad (Dreamcast/Zombie)
Pinball Challenge Delux (GBA/UbiSoft)

Martyn.
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -- Bruce Lee

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2003, 01:33:56 PM »
Hey guys,

I just found this thread when someone put up a link over at GP32x forum, thought after reading all this id leave my 2c on the GP32...

First of all im an absolute MASSIVEEEEE Amiga fan, still got my A500+ and A1200 and all the games... the thought of Amiga emu for this little machine is a dream i hope comes true one day, would totally kill anything :)

As for the GP32, heres a quick rundown of what it can do so far, this is stuff ive directly tested and how good/bad each are, so you can get the lowdown from a user point of view and make up your own mind (so it aint no sales pitch, simply what it can do 'so far' :) )

FULL GAMES (ive seen)

DOOM - its great tho theres currently no sound, a new update on Saturday added full saving :)

Rick Dangerous - perfect :)

Pinball Dreams - only a demo released for now but its seriously perfect, being a fan of the Amiga pinball games im
chuffed to bits about how good this is on the GP32 :)

EMULATORS

Commodore Plus 4
 - never tried it

Commodore64 - Frodo
 - Works like a CHARM, this is perfect emulation, sound, gfx, speed, but you cant save yet

Game Boy / GB Color
 - Works great, the GBC runs a little slow (you especially hear crackling and slow down) when in full screen mode, but apart from that its great

Msx1 / Msx2
 - Apparently works perfect from my m8 testing it but ive yet to try this one

Nes
 - perfect except for crackling in the sound which is quite off putting in this one

PC Engine
 - perfection, except salamander in which the scenery draws way to late, no saving yet but worth a GP alone this one :)

SMS / GameGear
 - brilliant, full battery saving, some games do have a little too fast but i love this emu!!

Super Nintendo
 - 2 versions, 1 with sound/save but slow, one without either but playable speed, im hopefull but as they stand, i cant play with either

SCUMMVM
 - Perfect... nuff said, plays all Lucasarts adventures perfectly, apparently new version in the works to support MP3 sound... hope so :)  Theres also a new version in the works to play games like Beneath a Steel Sky ect

ZX Spectrum
 - This is so close to being perfect it hurts that its not, when you turn sound on it crackles like mad and you just cant use it.... Spectrum EMU is one of my biggest wishes.  The guy who made ZXadvance on the GBA (a fantastic EMU) is keen to convert it for the GP, only time will tell :)  Also a further new EMU has just been announced that also supports 128k Spectrum :D

DivX, MP3, Pic viewers

- DivX works by compressing your movie to a size of 320x280 at a frameskip of 3 (meaning 10fps more or less).  This might sound a bit naff but on the screen it works perfectly, and makes the movie files small enough to fit on a single 128Mb SMC.  As an example currently ive got 3 episodes of Friends on mine (which look fantastic) and tons of games for the EMU's :)

- MP3 is perfect tho currently you cannot have bitrates less than 128, so they do take up a bit of room currently.  There are new versions in the works for this, and even an OGG player.

- Theres a few picture viewers and there all great, can viw pics of any size on the GP32 with scrolling and most even let you resize to the little screen.... some of the file managers on it even let you save the pic as the background :)

Right, thats enough for now, i hope this helps give a good picture on what it can currently do.

Bonks

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2003, 06:35:53 PM »
This is cool!  The two forums seem to be crossing over rather well :-)  

I phoned GBAx.com today and they told me the unit had been dispatched and should arrive tomorrow morning, so I'm kind of excited!  It's weird - I haven't been so excited about a piece of hardware for years!  I feel like it's 12 years ago and I'm waiting for my A1200 to come fgor my birthday.  Oh.... Happy Days!!!

Well.... I'll just have to sccot over to the GP32x forum now and find out what's happenign there.....

Thanks a lot to Bonks for the info on the system.

Offline Rigger

• Show only replies by Rigger
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 08, 2003, 07:26:57 AM »
Sounds cool. I want one  too.