Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.  (Read 2419 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Windows 8 Tablet and Traditional Windows Apps.
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 06, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »
A Windows 8, as in full Windows 8, *NOT WINDOWS RT* tablet will support all the USB devices and apps a normal desktop running Win8 would.

Avoid RT devices like the plague.  While it might be "Windows", RT is entirely incompatible with real Windows apps.

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »
I presume all the tablets suggested in this thread are not RT then?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
Surface Pro series are all full Windows 8.

Surface RT (name for the first gen Surface RT tablets) and Surface 2 are both RT powered, ARM based, therefore they run none of the standard desktop Windows apps.

You can literally only load special RT software on them via the Windows Store.  They are not worthy of even being paperweights, IMO.  They will not run x86 code/programs.

That being said, the RT powered ones do come with Office, lol.

Honestly, the Surface Pro 2 in 64GB form is about $400 more than it should be, starting at $899 and going up to $1799 for the 512 GB SSD one.  I'd just buy a decent laptop.  Better battery life, better connectivity (like an Ethernet port), most usability.

There are, of course - many other manufacturers making cheaper and more powerful full Windows 8 tablets.

On the 64 GB Pro 2 models, there's only 47 GB free drive space free out of that 64 GB drive.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:53:04 PM by Duce »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 09:37:54 PM »
Indeed, I just looked at Ebay and the prices make it totally unworth it, so instead I picked up an old laptop for $35 shipped. Not that anything I intend to run Windows on is worth even that, but it will get me by and serve my basic purpose until Windows 8 completely flops and I can get my hands on a tablet for less, much less. :)

Thanks all for the advice and info!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
Quote from: Duce;758536

You can literally only load special RT software on them via the Windows Store.  They are not worthy of even being paperweights, IMO.  They will not run x86 code/programs.

right.
the only worth anything is the pro. limited size ssd is a major drawback, but so far i manage with an 128gb model. connectivity is not that much of issue thanks wlan, bluetooth and usb hubs, i only been afraid to damage the single usb port at some point. battery time isnt that great but about fine for reasonable usage, and remember this is an i5 mobile. whats great is the pressure sensitive wacom like pen for drawing and the easiness to connect on the fly to an external screen when one needs one. i honestly cant imagine that much an full scale notebook would offer beyond that. but then i bought the device for gfx work underway. and it pays so far.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 06:01:52 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;758551
Indeed, I just looked at Ebay and the prices make it totally unworth it, so instead I picked up an old laptop for $35 shipped. Not that anything I intend to run Windows on is worth even that, but it will get me by and serve my basic purpose until Windows 8 completely flops and I can get my hands on a tablet for less, much less. :)

Thanks all for the advice and info!

Not sure of the logic there. Wait for a product you really want to fail so you can get it cheap. I suppose it's a realistic proposition if you're not one if those people who then whinges about lack if support.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;758580
Not sure of the logic there. Wait for a product you really want to fail so you can get it cheap. I suppose it's a realistic proposition if you're not one if those people who then whinges about lack if support.

It's Windows we're talking about man. Anyhow, yes I only need this for two or 3 programs. I can not justify spending much on a Win8 tablet no, so yes, I'll wait for it to fail.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
I use a Zoom H4 as an audio device via a USB adaptor (i.e. "The camera connection kit") on my iPad mini. That give me a bunch of audio IO (including two phantom powered XLR connectors), latency isn't brillaint, but the audio recording software is pretty good and allows for building demos with quite a lot of usable preproduction work!

-edit- sorry, just realised that you arena talking about a Win8 tablet. As long as you avoid the WinRT ones, you can use all your Windows software and hardware... Though for the money, a cheap generic laptop might be better :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:52:27 PM by bloodline »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;758589
I use a Zoom H4 as an audio device via a USB adaptor (i.e. "The camera connection kit") on my iPad mini. That give me a bunch of audio IO (including two phantom powered XLR connectors), latency isn't brillaint, but the audio recording software is pretty good and allows for building demos with quite a lot of usable preproduction work!

-edit- sorry, just realised that you arena talking about a Win8 tablet. As long as you avoid the WinRT ones, you can use all your Windows software and hardware... Though for the money, a cheap generic laptop might be better :)

I still use my Amiga as the MIDI controller for my gear. I ONLY need Windows to back up the date and to program my KP3 and  Korg Kaossilator Pro. That's it, that's all. So having a tiny touch tablet laying amidst my gear would be far better than a Keyboard and Mouse, or a Laptop and Mouse, though for now the $35 laptop I just ordered will have to do. Technically I could get away without using a mouse with it, and besides I can shut it down and put it aside and out of the way when I'm not using it, plus it consumes way less power than the desktop I'm currently keeping around for that purpose.

If only there was software for this on MorphOS. Oh to dream. :)