Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore trademark has a new daddy  (Read 24226 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Commodore trademark has a new daddy
« Reply #179 from previous page: February 11, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »
A mini ITX LAN party type case won't house any workstation grade mobo or workstation gfx card solution, and neither will an off the shelf HTPC case.  Nice build, those pics - but apples and oranges.  Isn't a workstation system around running Mini ITX boards and gamer grade video cards.  I love my LAN gaming rig, but it's insane to say I could throw workstation grade components in that case.

There's a big difference between a lanparty type gamer case like the one pictured, and "workstation spec" builds.  If you find a way to cram a dual Xeon eATX mobo, multiple drives in RAID, 2 power supplies (1 redundant), and a Quadro or two into a consumer grade case like that, I'd be very interested to see the build.  It's like stuffing a marshmallow into a parking meter.  The 570 has that thing crammed right full, and the 570 isn't that big of a card, the 590 (the cards I own) are 2 inches longer and aren't even workstation cards.

You simply are not going to cram a server grade mobo (eATX, quite often) and other commonplace workstation components into a case meant to be portable (gaming PC) or one that is designed to live in the footprint as a DVD player (HTPC) and have it work, lol.  There's not a workstation grade Mini ITX board around.

Can't put 20 pounds of horseplop in a 5 pound bag.  You can't park a '59 Caddy Hearse in the parking spot meant for a Fiat 500.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »
Quote from: number6;680096
Lawsuit filing posted

For those curious, CUSA status is mentioned in several places directly and once "implied", imo.

i guess we can say goodbye to CUSA soon.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
*glances over document*

...uh, could someone remind me who's blaming whom for what, again? This stuff is hard enough to keep track of without being buried in legalese...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Duce

« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
After re-reading a chunk of the pdf, curious why the C-USA fanboys are all giddy with delight.  I always assumed the rights were legal, in Commodore USA usage - if they happened to get screwed in the legal proceedings, I won't exactly lose any sleep, however.  Honestly I never cared about the legal aspect of the "brand".   I mean, if I buy a C64x or a VIC system from C-USA, it's got the Commodore name on it, and I'm not going to be too worked up how said name got there if it's a good system and I assume it's a "Commodore".  Said name doesn't mean a darned thing to me these days.  Nothing they offer will revolutionize modern computing, we're too deep in the "PC is an appliance" era of computing for that on a mainstream level.  Apple isn't shaking in their boots, worrying that the "new Amiga" will ruin their video editing loyalists customers, lol.  C= and Amiga aren't even a blip on the radar in the mainstream, and never will be again.  Fighting over these brand names, to me - is the equivalent of hobos fighting over bare chickenwing bones in a Hooters dumpster, but perhaps I just don't see the "big payoff" aspect.

I mean, it's 2012 - they are making commodity PC's in retro form factors under an old school name, which is totally fine by me - but if Jesus himself gave them the sole rights to the Commodore name worldwide, what the hell difference does it make?  The days of the C64 are over.  The glory of the Amiga was over nearly 20 years ago, sorry - I'm really not sure what any of the various corpse sitters in regards to trademarks and branding are going to do to bring back former glory to "our beloved brand".  

What am I missing here that has the ardent supporters of C-USA so giddy?  Seriously, I'd like to know.  I just see another clusterf*ck of legal paperwork - unless there's some valuable patents I am not aware of, I just don't get it.  If there are valuable patents - whoever gets the rights to them better have deep pockets  :)

Not a slam against C-USA in the least, just curious for some clarification why a group of people would be seeing yet another gong show of legalese pdf's and international court proceedings as a positive thing.

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »
Quote from: hooligan;673562
Which is why one should have a camera at hand all the time, even when taking a shower.
mmm i think soon have the dream with woman in my shower but each to there own hehe
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »
I'm surprised anyone cares.  I don't.  I just bought a $900 ultrabook to run Linux on.  The last thing I'd buy is CUSA junk.

MorphOS / Amiga OS are the only two things Amiga that I care about.  Unless NatAmi gets released... :)
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »
Quote from: A1260;680195
i guess we can say goodbye to CUSA soon.

as an aside, I like this bit from their forum
2. This includes the acquisition of certain technology that will change the landscape of the CE/IT industry in a most profound manner, and will enable Commodore the ability to bring to market a product category that will put us back in the forefront of the computer/IT/CE arena, as we once were.

we who exactly?

Illusions of grandeur much?

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2012, 11:32:45 AM »
I want to know what they have bought that they feel will change the face of IT.

Offline number6

« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;680197
*glances over document*

...uh, could someone remind me who's blaming whom for what, again? This stuff is hard enough to keep track of without being buried in legalese...

Short answer, hopefully in layman terms...

C=Holdings B.V. v. Asiarim Corporation et al

C=Holding B.V. is basically shown as Messrs (Jan) Hoogstrate and (Albertus Wilhelmus Maria) Ebben

Their names appear in the original Asiarim participation agreement and in the loan agreement: http://www.secinfo.com/d1b6kb.q8.1.htm
and in the lawsuit.

Asiarim Corporation is Ben Van Wijhe.

et al is a group of both known and unknown and/or unnamed people and corporations, indicated by the statement in the lawsut related to further discovery yet to be completed.

The people claiming they own the Commodore IP are accusing Asiarim of doing business (licensing the IP) they had no right to be doing. They claim harm has been done on a number of levels.

@Duce

What am I missing here that has the ardent supporters of C-USA so giddy?

Because CUSA previously stated they were renegotiating their terms. They are obviously dealing now with those claiming in the lawsuit to be the rightful owners of the IP. Since those folks are investors, they likely have little interest beyond what they can recover. Hence I'm sure the "giddy" refers to the feeling that CUSA can gain what they want in exchange for payment.

Nevertheless, it's a lawsuit and predicting the outcome is impossible. Truly a case of "when it's done". Heh.

@CritAnime

I want to know what they have bought that they feel will change the face of IT.

I posted one possibility here

Additional history is here

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »
Are you referring to the Video Compression Technology?

Offline Duce

« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »
If they are banking on yet another video codec, good luck.  Not sure why they would figure that would re-invent the world, if that is their ace in the hole.

Offline number6

« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »
Quote from: Duce;680271
If they are banking on yet another video codec, good luck.  Not sure why they would figure that would re-invent the world, if that is their ace in the hole.

I only said the reference was a possibility.
As described by Asiarim when they first signed the terms sheet (now cancelled):
This video compression technology based on wavelet algorithms is able to dramatically reduce any type of video content or live stream including those already pre-compressed with any CODEC without loss of video quality.

source

So, we're talking about bandwidth, imo. That's not like a codec you have to convince someone to use because it's better. Compression at this level would have more general appeal. As I understand it, this was intended to be in the marketplace long ago but held up in patent disputes.

Worldwide rights reported

Termination of negotiations with Asiarim

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:06:17 PM by number6 »

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
Quote from: number6;680262
I posted one possibility here

I bought a fractal compression program back in the 1990s. If the size of the file to be compressed was divisible by certain values, and it was Tuesday and the moon was blue, it would work fine. Otherwise you were just as well off using zip. I can understand why FIF never took off.

Offline number6

« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;680278
I bought a fractal compression program back in the 1990s. If the size of the file to be compressed was divisible by certain values, and it was Tuesday and the moon was blue, it would work fine. Otherwise you were just as well off using zip. I can understand why FIF never took off.

Understood. Hence why I posted about horsepower in the other comment I made.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
No I would say your view that it could be the compression technology is valid. Given Barry's history with stuff like this. After all him and his brother found a way of breaking the HBO encryption back in the 80's. So it's possible that, if it is this tech, he will see it as a way of breaking back into the mainstream.

Offline number6

« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;680281
No I would say your view that it could be the compression technology is valid. Given Barry's history with stuff like this. After all him and his brother found a way of breaking the HBO encryption back in the 80's. So it's possible that, if it is this tech, he will see it as a way of breaking back into the mainstream.

That's interesting.

I've looked at this from the start of the Yeahronimo vs Tulip war only. We've seen constant rebranding of off the shelf h/w, but nothing you could say would set them apart from the rest of the competitors in today's world.
Ergo, when I 1st read about EuroAmerican S.A. contacting Asiarim, this seemed different to me.

I must repeat, however:
(1)We don't know enough about EuroAmerican S.A. atm to prove either the technology, or frankly given the history of Commodore/Amiga and lawsuits...whether the patent is really solely in their hands. I'd like to know more.

(2)Since EuroAmerican S.A. cancelled the negotiations with Asiarim (for obvious reasons now that we've seen the lawsuit) we have no proof they would re-enter negotiations with any new parties associated with Commodore.

Barry posted 2 days ago:
we are dealing with an enormous amount of legal, technical and corporate factors that all have to come together at the right time and place.

Whether that applies only to the Commodore IP or relates also to what we are discussing re:wavelet technology is yet to be seen.