Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The spirit of a famed Amiga classic game lives on with a brand new 2-player feature!  (Read 3539 times)

Description:

Offline TorbenLarsenTopic starter

• Show only replies by TorbenLarsen
    • http://www.cope-com.com
Hi Folks, :)

Wanted to let you know that the famed Amiga classic game Battle Squadron, is now featured with a new and special 2-player split-screen mode on iPad :)

Have a look :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22jB0l1osY

Offline mechy

Thats great.. i guess.. what about for the real amiga?

mech

Quote from: mechy;671516
Thats great.. i guess.. what about for the real amiga?

mech

Dear mechy :)

I have for some time been puzzled by that question. "What does it do for the real Amiga". If you do not mind I will take the time to answer that in the best possible way I can and elaborate many thoughts on the issue :)

Back then when I and Martin Pedersen did games for the Amiga, we did not know where it all would lead to and who would have guessed Battle Squadron as a 2-player split-screen game in 2011 on a tablet :)

Many times people have asked us, what you are asking.." what does it do for the real Amiga".
Time is of the essence (just like essence procedural textures.. :D). I have read many posts here on this great Amiga site about the history of the Amiga, maybe far more than people actually think. It almost seems like everybody has a stake in the Amiga history to some degree and that is some what a bit frustrating to read.
Nevertheless we decided if we can't help the Amiga directly we can try to do it indirectly by doing what we are doing now converting our Amiga classic games to other popular formats AND keeping that special Amiga spirit while doing so. In that way even the Amiga community gets exposure to some degree.

Mechy, please take a look at this iAmiga youtube which has among others Battle Squadron of Amiga games included. Almost 50.000 youtube hits, that should give a good indication of massive indirectly Amiga exposure :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajt2SChA2Tw

If you take a look at our website you can see where it all came from and in fact it is a great tribute to our games but also the Amiga.

Hope that clarifies the issue :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:35:13 PM by TorbenLarsen »

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
I have to agree given current climate. That there is nothing remotely cost effective people can buy off the shelf for them to develop for is not their fault. If someone came out and mass produced Minimigs cased up for £50-75 cool but until then things are just too small scale. Natami will suffer the same fate for the same reasons. Both are excellent products. Forget SAM460/X1000 ever being a viable market size.

It reminds me of the saying "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country"

Battle Squadron was one of a handful of Amiga only games which took the fight to 16bit Sega/Nintendo consoles and showed you that you didn't need a 16bit console at the time in a sea of ST ports or shovelware rush jobs.

Sure you can run UAE+Battle Squadron unchanged right now on tablets but now you have the chance to buy an updated/tweaked version also, if you choose to.

Offline ciento

• Show only replies by ciento
Quote from: TorbenLarsen;671586

"What does it do for the real Amiga".

Back then when I and Martin Pedersen did games for the Amiga, we did not know where it all would lead to and who would have guessed Battle Squadron as a 2-player split-screen game in 2011 on a tablet :)

:)
a phrase like 'real computer', brand notwithstanding, is constantly being re-defined. People coining the phrase 'real amiga' are dinosaurs, or antique collectors.

I say bring it ALL on, be it flat square or round, soldered in the garage,
emulated on playstations, or newly invented by waves of Trevor Dickinson clones,
it is extending history, and the fun of Amiga software
and interfaces, for future generations. It's great to see such a game on
high-demand hardware. Hopefully you are still chums with other Amiga
game coders, who will be inspired to follow your golden example
(Uridium II anybody?)
Cheers

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Quote from: ciento;671631
People coining the phrase 'real amiga' are dinosaurs, or antique collectors.
WRONG, they are the people who got it right on the ticket. They want the machines of back in the day, and not those wannabe 'next gen Amiga' computers. The problem is with the people who call all kinds of things Amiga that have nothing to do with Amiga. Is it about status, so you can say: 'I have an Amiga!'?, I really fail to understand this.

I wonder how this works in other retro computer scenes...

Offline mechy

Quote from: TorbenLarsen;671586

I have for some time been puzzled by that question. "What does it do for the real Amiga". If you do not mind I will take the time to answer that in the best possible way I can and elaborate many thoughts on the issue :)

Many times people have asked us, what you are asking.." what does it do for the real Amiga".
Time is of the essence (just like essence procedural textures.. :D). I have read many posts here on this great Amiga site about the history of the Amiga, maybe far more than people actually think. It almost seems like everybody has a stake in the Amiga history to some degree and that is some what a bit frustrating to read.
Nevertheless we decided if we can't help the Amiga directly we can try to do it indirectly by doing what we are doing now converting our Amiga classic games to other popular formats AND keeping that special Amiga spirit while doing so. In that way even the Amiga community gets exposure to some degree.

Mechy, please take a look at this iAmiga youtube which has among others Battle Squadron of Amiga games included. Almost 50.000 youtube hits, that should give a good indication of massive indirectly Amiga exposure :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajt2SChA2Tw

If you take a look at our website you can see where it all came from and in fact it is a great tribute to our games but also the Amiga.

Hope that clarifies the issue :)

Thanks for the kind reply and no offense, but i don't see how this would even help amiga indirectly. Mind you i am not trying to start some flame war here. Maybe i am a fossil who doesn't want to see all of our great stuff ported to faceless new tech. I would love to see some of the old games and such upgraded that can run on REAL amiga machines. As unpopular as it is,this is how i feel. I am not new here and i understand you are just out to make money and there is no money to be made on real amiga's. In my opinion it seems people have become confused to what a amiga really is over the years. Its a sad thing. If my point of view makes me a dinosaur so be it. Getting us "Exposure" does not do much,as the people who know what an Amiga are are the ones who will use it most.
There is still thousands of working "real" amiga's out there, why don't you guys grab one and jump in instead of porting our history to iphones and such.At the  end of the day you have to do what is right for you.

Mech

Offline tone007

Good job on the move to a viable platform.  Anyone who is stuck in the past can obviously enjoy the original version on their Amiga. (...not that they'd need a two player version anyway..)
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Beast96GT

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
Bought it... Great game.  Thanks, brings back lots of memories...   Will you be porting Hybris to iOS?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Am i the only one who is missing the obvious here? Wouldn't it be hard to play this with 2 players on a small ipad screen?  :confused:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Quote from: mechy;671640
Thanks for the kind reply and no offense, but i don't see how this would even help amiga indirectly. Mind you i am not trying to start some flame war here. Maybe i am a fossil who doesn't want to see all of our great stuff ported to faceless new tech. I would love to see some of the old games and such upgraded that can run on REAL amiga machines. As unpopular as it is,this is how i feel. I am not new here and i understand you are just out to make money and there is no money to be made on real amiga's. In my opinion it seems people have become confused to what a amiga really is over the years. Its a sad thing. If my point of view makes me a dinosaur so be it. Getting us "Exposure" does not do much,as the people who know what an Amiga are are the ones who will use it most.
There is still thousands of working "real" amiga's out there, why don't you guys grab one and jump in instead of porting our history to iphones and such.At the  end of the day you have to do what is right for you.

Mech

A computer platform is nothing without software. It was the software that made the Amiga great. The Amiga allowed programmers/developers/artists to explore a new digital frontier. That frontier has now been explored and there are exciting new places to go, with new platforms... But there are some of us who still enjoy stomping around in the old world, the Amiga's world, and it is games like this running on modern platforms that let us keep our old world alive. Without these, our old way of life would be all but forgotten.

Quote from: Beast96GT;671667
Bought it... Great game.  Thanks, brings back lots of memories...   Will you be porting Hybris to iOS?

Thanks Beast96 for your support and you can be sure that we have planned to release Hybris for iOS sometime in 2012 :)

Quote from: Kesa;671668
Am i the only one who is missing the obvious here? Wouldn't it be hard to play this with 2 players on a small ipad screen?  :confused:

Hi Kesa,
Valid question :) It works quite well dividing up the screen like this. The screensize is 9,7 inches and crispy clear backlit screenview which makes it very suitable for dividing the screen if it is done well :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:01:13 AM by TorbenLarsen »

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
Quote from: tone007;671661
Anyone who is stuck in the past can obviously enjoy the original version on their Amiga. (...not that they'd need a two player version anyway..)
What's up with the name calling?

Quote from: bloodline;671670
A computer platform is nothing without software. It was the software that made the Amiga great. The Amiga allowed programmers/developers/artists to explore a new digital frontier. That frontier has now been explored and there are exciting new places to go, with new platforms... But there are some of us who still enjoy stomping around in the old world, the Amiga's world, and it is games like this running on modern platforms that let us keep our old world alive. Without these, our old way of life would be all but forgotten.
There are many angles to this subject and very well said :rolleyes:
Who doesn't remember great pioneer programs like Deluxe Paint, 3D Imagine, Lightwave and videotoaster on the Amiga?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:40:19 PM by TorbenLarsen »