Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C For C64  (Read 3102 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Re: C For C64
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 19, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
I gotta say from my experience, if you want to do embedded 6502 projects, your best bet is to learn assembly language.  C is great and all, but for practical purposes, especially since you are probably gonna be banging hardware, you will want to do it at the machine level.

Now, for programming on the C64/128, C would probably turn out useful, if just academic.  IIRC, C can be used to program GEOS applications (someone correct me on this, please,) which would seem to be much more practical as you are programming on top of an operating system with a hardware abstraction layer.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;571033
I have an original Abacus Super C 128. It is kind of nifty, but has a terrible manual full of typos. I dunno about recomendations as I haven't gotten too far past "hello world":)

I actually wrote a paint program for 80 column bitmap mode that mixed Basic 7 with machine language calls for doing the drawing.  The 80 col chip had a fast block copy function built in.  could copy 1-255 sequential bytes in 1 call.  I believe it was masked too...but don't quote me, it's been a while.

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
I am deffinitely not leaving out assembly language.
I jut remember using the Read/Data in Basic.
I may even use hexadecimal at first to get a rom built.
Maybe I can load more data into ram with it.

cc65 sounds great, I have not run it yet.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.