Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: metal shield A1200  (Read 902 times)

Description:

Offline lionstormTopic starter

metal shield A1200
« on: February 20, 2003, 08:21:24 AM »
Hi all,
How important is the metal shield on top of the A1200 motherboard ? Look like it creates short-circuit. A reset occurs each time I press carefully the metal. I did not find what component is touching the metal. How could I isolate the top shield from the MB ? I guess I should leave it because of the floppy and the HD I plan for the future.
Lio

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: metal shield A1200
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 08:55:41 AM »
The first this I did when I got my 1200 was to rip off the RF-shielding.
AFAIK, it doesn't have any vital function ( though the airflow inside of the computer might depend on it  :-? ).
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline alx

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 10:08:26 AM »
AFAIK the shield doesn't do anything for airflow - all it stops is interference, so if there is nothing nearby that is really interfering with/being interfered by the A1200, it shouldn't do any harm.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 10:54:26 AM »
You can safely take the shield off. I haven't used one in years.

It's only use is to filter off radio interference so the A1200 doesn't make your TV go all funny. Ha! It never did that, really. It's practically useless. You probably won't see any difference whatsoever if you whip it off, especially if you have a tower.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 10:58:28 AM »
@kenny
If we accept democracy to prevent usurping of power, why does the world not accept a similar system to prevent the usurping of wealth?

Beause people in general don't want to share?

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms - greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much."

:-D  :-D  :-D
Gotta love that movie!
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 11:50:19 AM »
@whabang (sliding OT ;-))

Of course people don't want to share. But they don't want to do what other people want them to do either, but that's the nature of democracy, and no-one here is going to say democracy is a bad thing. There's got to be a balance of wealth, just as there has to be a balance of power.

"The future's bright, the future's Red." ;-)

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 11:53:08 AM »

whabang wrote:

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms - greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much."

:-D  :-D  :-D
Gotta love that movie!

Your way out of line Gekko! Now sit down.  :-D

Offline poweramiga2002

• Show only replies by poweramiga2002
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 01:01:25 PM »
Hi all,
How important is the metal shield on top of the A1200 motherboard ? Look like it creates short-circuit. A reset occurs each time I press carefully the metal. I did not find what component is touching the metal. How could I isolate the top shield from the MB ? I guess I should leave it because of the floppy and the HD I plan for the future.
Lio

I have run my 1200 for about 8 years without the sheild never caused any probs ere

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2003, 01:05:43 PM »
Ok thanks everyone, I will get ridd of it and see if everything runs.
Lio

Offline Acill

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 01:21:28 PM »
@Lio
Get rid of the shield. I know several people that put there 1200 into a tower and havent used it for years. It wont cause you a single problem.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2003, 08:54:32 AM »
Hi all,
I found out why I have this reset : on the left down side of my A1200 MB there are 2 little cylinders terminated by iron wire. Each time the keyboard is touching them produces a reset so I cut those and everything is fine now.
Lio