Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: bad disks etc  (Read 917 times)

Description:

Offline Will-i-amTopic starter

• Show only replies by Will-i-am
bad disks etc
« on: April 27, 2004, 04:19:04 PM »
I was wondering about some games with two kinds of problems....Datastorm is my wife's favorite game and she was sooo good at it but now the disks won't boot at all....well actually it boots to a scrambled screen that just sits there with lots of random pixels. Any chance someone has a copy they would let go? Likewise our Rocket Ranger disk suddenly announced that "RR" is not an executable and there is a bad block. How bout copies of Rocket Ranger? I have numerous games which we could trade...like maybe 3 Stooges or Space Ace or something like that. Oh, last but not least does anyone recall a game called Alien Fires? I bought it eons ago and it still runs and all but you're wandering around this space station ocasionally bumping into aliens and talking to them for clues as to your next move....did anyone play and/or win this thing??? What was it?

Re: bad disks etc
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 06:31:29 PM »
I apologize for the inconvenience, but deleted a reply that contained pirated files.  When I did, it accidentally deleted one other reply.

Software piracy is not an acceptable practice on this site.  No debate is necessary.

Wayne

Offline Peter_s

• Show only replies by Peter_s
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 06:43:48 PM »
Sorry that will be my fault.
Amiga1200 in PT c/w 3.1 roms,40gig hd,blizzard ppc 060/160mhz 144megs,os3.9,mediator sx,Voodoo3 2000,Sb sound card,pin pctv rave card,SVGA 17\\" monitor,internal scan doubler and sony cdr

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 06:45:19 PM »
When I did, it accidentally deleted one other reply.

D'oh!  And it was my links to the LEGAL versions.  haha!

Anyhow, I agree totally that the first link posted was not appropriate.  (A certain infamous '.hu' site...)  

But now, for the links to the legal versions...

Back2Roots has Datastorm:
Datastorm link

The Underdogs has Rocket Ranger:
The Underdogs  I can't post a direct link into their site -- it just fails.  Anyhow, search for Rocket Ranger -- it's there.  :)

Both of these sites contain ONLY LEGAL (owner gave specific rights for redistribution) downloads.

Offline Will-i-amTopic starter

• Show only replies by Will-i-am
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 09:31:48 PM »
Quite seriously I was not interested in pirated files! Used disks, maybe, or abandoned ware with the author's blessing, but my nephew is a programmer for LucasArts....he helped design Star Wars Galaxy I understand...and some other online games, and he would never forgive me. Nah, I just want to make my sweety-pie wife happy. 8-)

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 02:57:36 PM »
Hoya!

Well, since the law authorises you to make backup copies of originals you own, there is no problem if you get those copies from a third party site like BTTR, provided you have the corresponding original that is.

Be funky

M A D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 04:31:11 PM »

Well, since the law authorises you to make backup copies of originals you own, there is no problem if you get those copies from a third party site [...]

That's pretty questionable, as real copyright law goes.  Downloading from pirate sites isn't legal in the US, no matter for what purpose.

Of course, the links here (to Underdogs and BTTR) are FULLY LEGAL REGARDLESS OF IF YOU OWN THE GAME, OR NOT!  THESE SITES HAVE LEGAL PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR TO REDISTRIBUTE THE FILES.  

LEGAL NOTICES:
The-Underdogs -
(of course, The-Underdogs appears down at the moment, so I can't paste their legality notice.)  

Back2Roots -

Our file collection has been carefully researched to form a high quality and legal file archive, this was years of work. Most of the material is PD, Freeware or Shareware. Besides this freely distributable material we have the limited, non exclusive right to post commercial titles of currently 93 Companies and 6 Coders on this site, who all reserve the right to revoke that permission at any time for any reason by any means.

(Sorry for yelling, but it just seems people can't tell the difference between certain obvious pirate sites, and fully legal, author endorsed, preservation sites.)

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 04:39:30 PM »
Hoya!

I have not been as precise as you have, sorry for that.

As for the law in the US, I just did not know this.

Be funky

M A D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline Peter_s

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 04:51:59 PM »
Ok since I made the post that got deleted, I may aswell chuck in my 2 {bleep}ing cents.  The guy had the original games so I posted a site I came across which had the adfs that he needed(never read the whole site to know if he had permission to redistribute these files or not some of us have other things in life to do!) So since he had bought the orignals there was'nt any harm in him downloading the backups from the site I posted.  The way I see if is if you bought the proper software does it really matter where you download a backup copy from, like the other member pointed out. I wouldnt say it was pirate software if he only downloaded the games he bought but would consider it pirate software if he download games he did'nt buy (thats a no no for sure, he wouldnt be doing anything wrong the only person/s what are doing wrong here is the site admin for not getting in contact with the authors to get permission to redistribute these files,  But this is only my view on this subject and i'm not saying i'm right or wrong but its my view and you may not like it but hey you can tell people what to do.
Amiga1200 in PT c/w 3.1 roms,40gig hd,blizzard ppc 060/160mhz 144megs,os3.9,mediator sx,Voodoo3 2000,Sb sound card,pin pctv rave card,SVGA 17\\" monitor,internal scan doubler and sony cdr

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 05:05:47 PM »
The guy had the original games so I posted a site I came across which had the adfs that he needed(never read the whole site to know if he had permission to redistribute these files or not some of us have other things in life to do!)

Yes, but Wayne and the Amiga.org staff are legally responsible for the content on Amiga.org.  Posting a link to a pirate site is illegal, and puts Amiga.org in a bad situation.

Personally, I agree with you.  It SHOULD be legal do download something from which you had the original.  And, beyond that, I think it's sheer folly trying to enforce copyrights on files that haven't been for sale in the past 10 years, and are unlikely to ever be sold again.  But that's just my personal opinion.  I'm not selfish enough to risk harm to Amiga.org over it.

Amiga.org, itself, legally needs to keep a strict anti-piracy message.  It's not just a good idea -- it's the law.

There ARE legal sites out there.  They're doing a great job.  Support them, and maybe we can find a way to LEGALLY preserve all the classics.  :-)

Offline Peter_s

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 05:22:46 PM »
Yes, but Wayne and the Amiga.org staff are legally responsible for the content on Amiga.org. Posting a link to a pirate site is illegal, and puts Amiga.org in a bad situation.

I did apologize to wayne and I can see everyones side about it being bad for amiga.org to host such links and if I wasnt so thick skulled I would of thought about it before posting. But with being trying to be helpful, I done wrong and I hold my hands up to that so you can chuck me in the stocks and chuck yer fruit (no stones cause they hurt :pissed:)

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 09:19:57 PM »
I have to know about this as part of my job!

Under UK law you cannot aquire copyrighted materials from an illigal ditribution source, but it isn't illegal to have them in your posession (provided you bought the original) or make your own copies from your own property (ie. you can't download, but if you already have the files it's ok).
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury