Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Its good to be back  (Read 1960 times)

Description:

Its good to be back
« on: February 06, 2006, 01:26:19 AM »
Hi peeps, its good to be back. I have been away from this forum for several years now and thought it was time to sign up again and stop lurking!
What brings me here is a feeling that I am sure most of you may have experienced at some time or other. I was a diehard Amiga fan, but as the scene began to die after Commodore, Escom, Gateway etc I became more and more unhappy. It got to the point that the situation was making me very depressed and so I dropped out of forums like this one. I work with PC's and so my miggy eventually got disconnected and put away to save desk space (no room for two monitors, keyboards and mice).
Anyhow, about three weeks ago I was lurking here and read an article about Amiga/PC keyboard adapters. Hmmmm I thought, I wonder if I can get a mouse adapter too. Sure enough a quick visit to Amigakit.com and both arrived within three days  :-D
Ok, so out comes the miggy, a quick dust and I connect all my new bits. I then I attach it to my 22" CRT via a KVM switch and...............................

You can have no idea how I felt when my Workbench fired up (I was really choke'd up). It was like a best friend that I had not spoken too for twenty years unexpectedly arriving on my doorstep. God I missed my miggy.

Anyhow, rant over now. Thanks for listening.  :-D

Specs
-----
Amiga 4000 desktop in Ateo tower case
Blizzard 060 + 128mb ram
PicassoIV + Sound module and TV tuner
Network card (can't remember model)
Serial & Parallel combo card (can't remember model)

Amiga 1200
Blizzard 060 card + 128mb ram

Amiga 500
512k expansion.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
Re: Its good to be back
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:29:26 AM »
:´)

Offline steve30

• Show only replies by steve30
    • http://www.stevecoates.net
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 01:34:40 AM »
Good to know there's another person who's come back.

That's a nice setup you have.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:53:04 AM »
Thanks, I will get the names of all the h/w and some pics soon.

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 03:49:08 AM »
Oh, man, you had all that nice gear, and just let it sit there?  Nice setup indeed.  I've always wanted a 4000, with PIV, 060.  Droool  :crazy: (hey, where's the drooling smiley face?)

btw, if you don't mind doing a bit of electronics, you can build those adapters.  There are designs on aminet, and also a pre-drawn pcb layout floating around the net.

Welcome back.   :pint:
Good good study, day day up!

Offline Asylum

• Show only replies by Asylum
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 04:21:57 AM »
Welcome back!  Looks like the bug is biting, and it's spreading all over.  I too am back after almost 15 years being away.  I know what you mean about an 'old friend', and my how she's changed!  Hope you have as much fun as I am!

-Asylum

Offline songoku

• Show only replies by songoku
    • http://tigerman31.tripod.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 05:18:28 AM »
As am I finally coming back after a stint of no miggys to mess around with,  I'm tryin to put togetehr the best, fastest A1200 tower I can with a limited budget.  Maybe to include an 060, or PPC.  One question kereps bothering me though, and that is:  will a ppc-boosted migfgy still be able to play old classics like Starfleet and Archon?  Or Pool of Radiance?  well, you get the idea.

a very ill Tiger  :inquisitive:

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 05:43:23 AM »
@Songoku  I believe non PPC code will rely on the 68k processor.  If a game can't work with the 060, you can dissable the accellerator completely, and the game will run on the onboard 020.  I've never used an 060, so can't say which games may have a problem.  Of course if you dissable the accellerator, you also lose the extra ram.  Maybe you could start a new thread to ask about what 060 compatibility issues may exist.  All old stuff will run on an 020 or 030, as far as I know.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline songoku

• Show only replies by songoku
    • http://tigerman31.tripod.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 05:58:48 AM »

To oliver:   yeah I know they will, because all of my old Amys other than the 1000 have had at least 020s in them.  the most ram I've had in mine was ... lemme see 16 real, 128 virtual... gsamers never had a problem so losing the extra ram shouldn't be much of a problem.

Now the only thing is GETTING the lil bugger.  I've stillgot to save to move come August. :lol:

still a very ill tiger

Offline amigagr

• Show only replies by amigagr
    • http://www.amigahellas.gr
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 07:05:56 AM »
welcome back pal :-)
A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/MorphOS 2.7/Debian 5.0.7/SUSE 11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8
Long Live Amiga

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
at least let me keep the latest versions.
Neil Bothwick

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:19:42 AM »
How long has your A4000 been sitting for though? You should check the clock battery! Also where in the south are you located, there's still some user groups about if you're interested, love the avatar!  :-D

Robert
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 08:39:23 PM »
Thanks to all you peeps for the welcome, it is appriciated.
:-P

To Robert17, I havn't checked the battery since I owned it (8 years), so I suppose I should.

I am near Bugess Hill West Sussex btw.

It is a nice setup I must admit, only I need to re-seat everything because after a couple of hours it locks up (mouse and keyboard) and even after a switch off/on it locks up almost immediately. If I let it cool down again for an hour or so it will work again for a while.

So maybe re-seating everything will help.

Glad some of you like the avatar too. Grabbed from winuae.

Sound card is Concerto - TV card is Paloma still trying to find out what the Network and Parallel/Serial cards are :)

I also have a Zorro GVP SCSI card I may sell.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 12:23:08 AM »
Parallel/Serial card is Ioblix
Network Card is Hydra (with BNC connector only) My pal Chain picked up a 8 port RJ45 Hub with a BNC input as well for £1.00 at a computer fair for me. So now my miggy is networked with all my other systems. Can only FTP files at the mo as I am still trying (beating my head against the wall) to get Samba to work. God its a pain. I wish there was a simple way to get it to work.

I feel there may be a post in one of the help forums coming on  :-D

Offline amigakit

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 01:59:13 AM »
Welcome back - its great to see so many newly registered accounts!
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit