Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fixing a failed XBOX TSOP flash  (Read 2271 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Fixing a failed XBOX TSOP flash
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:02:20 AM »
So I've soldered a million XBOX 1's back in the day, never fried one in my life, then there was today.

So it's been a long while since I've done this. It's an XBOX 1.1 so all one has to do is solder a connection on top of the board and on the bottom of the board, so easy an amateur like my self could do it, but not today.

For what ever reason, my soldering iron got itself confused with a solder sucker, and now one of those very small very fine connections has vanished!

That's right, it seems as if all the solder vanished (the little dot on the left). I could not for the life of me get the solder to stick to anything but the iron, and alas I've lost a connection.

Now the question is, how do i get solder back in to this hole which I can't even see?!!?!

I'd really like to not have thrown away money today on this XBOX, if there is anyway to save this please share your thoughts, thankx!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline basman74

• Show only replies by basman74
Re: Fixing a failed XBOX TSOP flash
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:11:44 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;562466
Now the question is, how do i get solder back in to this hole which I can't even see?!!?!

Hi there,

Okay, what do I see?

Well, if by 'hole' you mean the stuff you've indicated within a red circle (or oval), then there's no 'hole' (i.e. neither 'via' nor through-hole pad) at all inside the indicated area from what I can tell, simply a (very tiny) pair of surface pads for a type 0603 (or 0402?) SMD resistor..

Could it be that your iron inadvertently 'swallowed up' component R7R4?! If so, you'll need to find that component on the tip of your iron (or wherever it is now :)) and put it back in!

Regards,
Valentin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:14:15 AM by basman74 »

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:22:47 AM »
mmm sadly I think the heat from the iron ate your now missing piece. Follow the trace..

I can fix.. but thats me..ha

Rich
ny

Quote from: basman74;562485
Hi there,

Okay, what do I see?

Well, if by 'hole' you mean the stuff you've indicated within a red circle (or oval), then there's no 'hole' (i.e. neither 'via' nor through-hole pad) at all inside the indicated area from what I can tell, simply a (very tiny) pair of surface pads for a type 0603 (or 0402?) SMD resistor..

Could it be that your iron inadvertently 'swallowed up' component R7R4?! If so, you'll need to find that component on the tip of your iron (or wherever it is now :)) and put it back in!

Regards,
Valentin

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:22:49 AM »
In the circle are two solder points which I needed to connect. The one to the left is the one that vanished (not the piece to the left of the circle), and I can't see a hole as it seemed to fill in with the wax that builds up on the board when ever I put the iron near it.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline basman74

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 02:50:02 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;562487
In the circle are two solder points which I needed to connect. The one to the left is the one that vanished (not the piece to the left of the circle), and I can't see a hole as it seemed to fill in with the wax that builds up on the board when ever I put the iron near it.

Ahh, ok got it now R7R4 is just a shorting link. Well in that case as rich said 'follow that trace' As for clearing the hole (also known as a 'via') I cannot see the hole either (got any higher-res images of the area of interest?)

One trick I use for connecting up to really small via's that may be clogged (doesn't work however if the via is damaged), is to take some wire-wrap wire, strip it back a few mm, apply a wee bit of solder to it and then gently press the end of the wire up to the blocked end of the hole while heating the end of the wire with the tip of the iron.. usually what works for me! :)

Regards,
Valentin

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 03:12:52 AM »
Thankx for the advice, I'll see if I can get a better photo.

What is Wire Wrap Wire?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:18:22 AM »
And the photo.

You can even see the remaining solder point in the photo, but it's there. The other is covered by the wax as seen in the photo, so not even I can see it.

Any advice on clearing that wax out of the way?

Offline basman74

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:23:31 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;562495
What is Wire Wrap Wire?

This:
http://au.farnell.com/pro-power/100-30/wire-kynar-30awg-yellow-100m/dp/1202481

Though you could probably get a better price from your local electronics store! Just say to them you are looking for a small reel of 'wire-wrap' wire, shoudln't cost you more that about USD$10-15..

Alternatively, a cheaper option would be to simply steal one of the tiny copper strands from some flexible hookup wire that may also do the trick as well..

regards,
Valentin

Offline basman74

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:39:34 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;562496
Any advice on clearing that wax out of the way?

Ahh ok that's much clearer now (guess my eyes aren't what they used to be :))..

Well, the 'wax' could either be solder flux residue, or (less likely at a guess) the remains of any conformal coating applied to the area. Suggest cleaning the area with isopropyl alcohol OR simply buy some 'flux remover' for a couple of dollars from your local electronics store, which is the preferred option and works well for me..

Regards,
Valentin

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:44:40 AM »

Offline basman74

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 03:50:33 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;562501
Like this! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zbIFxIqlUs

Thankx again!

Yes.

Mmmm, Lemon! :D

Cheers,
Valentin

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 12:49:09 PM »
"Wax"?  I doubt it.  You mean flux.  

Quote from: XDelusion;562487
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:51:16 PM by Vlabguy1 »