Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Subway USB questions...  (Read 1706 times)

Description:

Offline giZmo350Topic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
Subway USB questions...
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:18:15 PM »
Hi all, well I have the Amiga 1200 up and running and installed the Apollo 40MHz w/32MB RAM card (I think I still need software for the card - but not sure), a hard drive and the Subway USB card.

I am having difficulty with the USB. I installed the hardware per instructions then installed Poseidon. After installing Poseidon, I wanted to read the help file but I can't find that anywhere. I was reading in the forum that I need to install MUI and set Poseidon up in Prefs. Does MUI install as part of the Poseidon installation? Do I need to get the MUI software seperately? If so, can someone point me to the location for MUI for OS3.1? The Poseidon software that came with the Subway card is version 3.3. I read that there is a newer version of Poseidon. Would that be compatible with OS3.1? If so, can I get that and just run the install again to update ver 3.3?

Also, is there a free & good IDE hard drive partioning software for A1200? HDToolBox baffles me. Is that for SCSI drives only? I can tell os3.1 installer to just setup the drive and it will install the os but, I never could figure out how to actually manuall partion the drive. The IDE drive would only show up under the SCSI type - I used a 5GB drive and I understand about the $GB limit but why can't I partion the drive manually?

Also, the system locks up randomly. I can probably work backwards & remove usb and accelerator to figure out what is causing it. Any ideas? (I still don't have any software installed for the Apollo card - it shows up on boot up and I can see it in "test accelerator card of the boot menu").

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Rog........
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline amigakit

Re: Subway USB questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:27:19 PM »
Poseidon and the Subway USB work without installing MUI as documented in the printed manual that is supplied with Subway USB.  However, if you wish to use the Trident GUI program to control Poseidon, you will need to install MUI.  Here is the link:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/mui38usr

Here is the latest Posedion for Subway USB: http://www.platon42.de/poseidon.html

HDInstallTools is an alternative toolbox: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/hdinst
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:48:11 PM »
Ok, thanks for the great info & links!

So, after installing the Subway card and Poseidon software (I did nothing more than run the installer) should I just be able to plug in external devices such as CD drives and flash drives and they should just work? I plugged in a flash drive and external cd drive & nothing happens. I followed the manual explicitly and checked the connections many times to ensure they are correct. There doesn't seem to be any voltage on the USB port as I don't get a light on the flash drive (I tried more than one) Am I missing something?

Also, I can't find the readme file anywhere on the supplied disk???

Looking at top of circuit board (components up)
USB Port connections with black wires towards bottom of board
Clockport connection with red wire towards top of board
Clockport connection of MB connected to the right set of pins with the red wire towards the hard drive.

Rog....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:50:17 PM by gizmo350 »
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Offline amigakit

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:55:32 PM »
You need to install FAT95 to read FAT formatted devices.  Poseidon installer asks you at the end if you wish to install the extras.  This includes FAT95

FAT95 file goes in the L drawer

USB CD drives need a CD FileSystem (in L drawer) and mount file (in DEVS/Dosdrivers drawer) to work.

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:50:38 PM »
Ok....   I did let the install add the extras but when I checked there was no FAT95 file in the L drawer so I unpacked and added but still not functional. I formatted a 2GB flash drive as FAT on a PC but it was not recognised and the flash drive light does no light up. I'm kind of stuck here - not sure what to do.

I forgot about a CD File system (DUH), can I assume the AMICDFS will work?
Will I have to have a different set of parameters in the mount file everytime I use a different USB CD Drive? Hmmmmmm.

Thanks so much for your replys!!!

Rog........

Offline amigakit

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:56 PM »
The first time you use Trident, you should add the Subway device under devices and press the Online button.  The light icon next to the Subway device driver should change from green to red.

Then in Trident again, scan for classes.  It will load the masstorage.class which is used for USB flash drives.

Save the settings.

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:52:30 AM »
Ok...  but to use Trident I have to install MUI?
Can I use Trident without MUI? How can I do that?

The download for MUI is too big for a 720K floppy...

I'm loving this chicken before the egg thing!!!  :-)

Rog......

Offline amigakit

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »
This is an instance where the EasyADF PCMCIA CF Transfer Kit is needed- you can transfer large amounts over to the Amiga 1200 easily and quickly.  EasyADF also uncompresses LHA files with a few clicks of the mouse which would be useful in this situation.

However, if you don't use Trident, then you will need to use the CLI commands for Subway USB, specifically these two commands:

C:AddUSBClasses
C:AddUSBHardware DEVS:USBHardware/subwayusb.device
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:07:19 AM by amigakit »

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 02:10:22 AM »
Executed the CLI commands succesfully...
USB flash drive still doesn't work.

I also installed AMICDFS (using the device of subwayusb.device - not sure if that would be correct) and the CD drive doesn't work either.

I'm going to call it a day!!!

Thanks again for you assistance!

Rog......

(I wish I would have paid AmigaKit do all the work for me!)    ;-)
I'm seriously going to get this EasyADF PCMCIA CF Transfer Kit!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:14:05 AM by gizmo350 »

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »
Good day all!

I did another clean install of OS3.1 on a 4GB HDD using HDINST (what a difference from the HDTOOLS that comes on the install disk!). Not sure if I should try to install the ver3.3 Subway software again as I couldn't get the card to work. Don't have a way to get MUI or the newer Subway ver4 software over to the A1200 right now.

@AmigaKit
If I order a 4GB CF card and adapter, can I get OS3.1 (even better OS3.9) pre-installed with ver4 Subway software already configured and tested with a Subway USB adapter (configed also for flash drives), MUI, a USB CD File System (to connect an external CD Drive via USB) & whatever else I need preinstalled to just have fun on my Miggy? I would also like to get the easyADF transfer setup, the PCMCIA wireless card, (will I need this? - AMIGA 1200 PCMCIA CC_RESET FIX), & anything else you might suggest. I already have an accelerator. How much might the services cost? Thanks much.

Rog.........

Offline amigakit

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Yes we can do this for you.  

Our range of Technical Services is here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=53

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 12:34:39 AM »
Quote from: gizmo350;561499
Executed the CLI commands succesfully...
USB flash drive still doesn't work.

I also installed AMICDFS (using the device of subwayusb.device - not sure if that would be correct) and the CD drive doesn't work either.

Posting the output of PsdErrorlog would surely help a lot to analyze the problem.

Do NOT use subwayusb.device for any mountlist. You usually don't need a mountlist, but if you do, the device is called usbscsi.device and no, it cannot be found in DEVS:.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM