Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Haiku Gets WEP/WPA/WPA2 Support  (Read 2657 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Haiku Gets WEP/WPA/WPA2 Support
« on: October 06, 2011, 05:06:43 AM »
Oh gosh, finally news that's got nothing to do with patents or smartphones or the comparing of male sexual organs. Haiku news! Michael Lotz has added preliminary support for WPA to Haiku, taking the first steps towards making the Haiku wireless stack a lot more useful.

Recently, Micheal Lotz, long-time Haiku hacker, started a long-term contract coding for Haiku exclusively, which is, as it turns out, already paying dividends. Having support for WEP/WPA/WPA2 in Haiku is a major boon for those of us with secured wireless networks, an while it's still all in the testing stages at the moment, it's still a major step.

As the comment to revision 42775 states:

Add the wpa_supplicant optional package. It should be stable and is working on the limited set of hardware I could test it with. By installing the wpa_supplicant one can now join WEP/WPA/WPA2 networks by either selecting them in the network prefs/network status applet or using ifconfig [interface] join [network name] [password]. The wpa_supplicant opens a dialog asking for more details if it can't connect with the given information. Note that there is no way to automatically store that extra info right now, so it has to be provided on each join. The configuration can however be stored manually into the /boot/common/settings/network/wireless_networks config file.

This should work on all wireless chipsets Haiku has drivers for (quite a few through the support for FreeBSD drivers), but Lotz obviously couldn't test it on all of them since he doesn't own all those chipsets himself. As such, testers are needed to further identify which chips work, and where potential problems lie.

From:  http://www.osnews.com/story/25215/Haiku_Gets_WEP_WPA_WPA2_Support
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
Re: Haiku Gets WEP/WPA/WPA2 Support
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:22 AM »
I'm guessing there aren't many Haiku fans here . . . :)
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »
Im a bit of an OS enthusiast, and check out pretty much everything to some degree or another, but I must admit to being seriously underwhelmed by Haiku. I honestly think all 3 "NG" amiga based oses are more impressive. I dont say this as an amiga fan either, but rather from the position of someone who's simply interested in OSes. On paper it (Haiku) has an ok feature set, but in practice many of those features are the parallel of a paper release. None of the NG amiga OSes have MP for example, yet all 3 are at least as stable as Haiku.

To me it appears Haiku has only gotten the attention it received due to Google summer of code giving it publicity, not on the strength of the OS itself. This isnt to say I dislike it as such, but it's not something Id try to use as a productive system, it's simply too immature.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
Haiku + AROS hosted would be a joy to use.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
Quote from: Wolfe;663015
I'm guessing there aren't many Haiku fans here . . . :)
I'm kind of interested in it, but I haven't tried it for serious use mainly because they don't keep the PPC port up-to-date, and my x86 box is basically reserved for XP.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »
Haiku is still in Alpha stage... ;)

With that in mind, it is quite advanced for what it is. The Haiku team is trying to make sure that everything is stable and feature rich, as in WILL APPEAL TO THE COMMON USER, before they bother making a 1.0 release. They've still got a way to go, but considering the short life span of the project, it has advanced leaps and bounds, but alas...

Alphas are not something that you want to use as your ALT OS. Time will prove Haiku to be the best. ;)

Quote from: fishy_fiz;663016
Im a bit of an OS enthusiast, and check out pretty much everything to some degree or another, but I must admit to being seriously underwhelmed by Haiku. I honestly think all 3 "NG" amiga based oses are more impressive. I dont say this as an amiga fan either, but rather from the position of someone who's simply interested in OSes. On paper it (Haiku) has an ok feature set, but in practice many of those features are the parallel of a paper release. None of the NG amiga OSes have MP for example, yet all 3 are at least as stable as Haiku.

To me it appears Haiku has only gotten the attention it received due to Google summer of code giving it publicity, not on the strength of the OS itself. This isnt to say I dislike it as such, but it's not something Id try to use as a productive system, it's simply too immature.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 09:44:57 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;663047
They've still got a way to go, but considering the short life span of the project, it has advanced leaps and bounds, but alas...

Short life span?  hey've been working on it for over a decade!

Alphas are not something that you want to use as your ALT OS. Time will prove Haiku to be the best. ;)

I've seen release OSs that are less stable!

I had it on a netbook a couple of years back and it was fairly stable and very quick given the low end hardware it was on.  I know some of the developers were using it as desktops even and I'd imagine it's improved since then.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
10 Years ain't that long, especially when you are not backed by money from people in high places.

Just look at how long it took Linux to become somewhat useable to the common user...

Quote from: minator;663048
Short life span?  hey've been working on it for over a decade!

I've seen release OSs that are less stable!

I had it on a netbook a couple of years back and it was fairly stable and very quick given the low end hardware it was on.  I know some of the developers were using it as desktops even and I'd imagine it's improved since then.

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 11:15:20 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;662636
Oh gosh, finally news that's got nothing to do with patents or smartphones or the comparing of male sexual organs. Haiku news! Michael Lotz has added preliminary support for WPA to Haiku, taking the first steps towards making the Haiku wireless stack a lot more useful.

For your information, the "operating system light years behind MorphOS" already had WEP/WPA/WPA2 and a working wireless stack for a while. Good to know that Haiku has made some progresses on this area, though.
p.bes

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 12:05:34 AM »
Now now, don't take my humour as a slam towards AROS' progress. ;)

I like AROS and use it from time to time, and am glad as glad can be that it has made so many great strides as of late. Without such progress I'd still be looking at it as a project that has been doomed since the beginning, but recent progress has certainly changed my mind about a great many things.

I just have to boast about MorphOS and how advanced it has become because hardly anyone else does. No one takes the time I don't think, to fully explore what is under the hood like they used to do with Work Bench back in the day.

Anyhow, Haiku is still alpha, so considering that it is an alpha release, when the 1.0 comes out, it should be VERY stable and rich with features for use (on the right hardware), where as many OS's (Linux included) still felt like an alpha release even when they had reached version 6.x or what ever.
I think the Haiku team is doing things the right way and approaching it all with a very professional and serious mind, which is good because I don't want to be using a hack upon a hack upon a hack anyway. :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 03:21:24 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;663067
I just have to boast about MorphOS and how advanced it has become because hardly anyone else does. No one takes the time I don't think, to fully explore what is under the hood like they used to do with Work Bench back in the day.

Surely youre not serious? One of the biggest chores in the amiga world is reading how superior MorphOS is constantly claimed to be by it's users. And I say this as someone who not too long ago bought a 1.42ghz MOS box (and yes, it is very nice). Apparently the superiority complex is a feature of Apple hardware, cos its been inherriited by many MOS users  :P

edit: just thought I should point out this was meant to be in jest. The whole superior/best, cheapest hardware/official things for mos/aros/os4 respectively :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:45:30 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 06:44:31 AM »
Interesting how Haiku info turned into MorphOS superiority . . . :)
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
Two of my favorite OS' at odds with each other. :)

Offline trekiej

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 09:32:09 PM »
I have run Haiku on Virtual Box with all 4 cores enabled.
I still like Beos too.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline obscurepanic

• Show only replies by obscurepanic
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »
I will wait for the day when AmigaOS and BeOS become popular.