Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Introducing ACA 1221 Low Cost Accelerator At AmigaKit.com  (Read 5202 times)

Description:

Offline amigakitTopic starter

Introducing ACA 1221 Low Cost Accelerator At AmigaKit.com
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:42:57 PM »
We are pleased to confirm that we will stocking the new ACA 1221 accelerator and ram card from Individual Computers in early September.

This exciting new accelerator design features a full 68020 CPU, 9Mb of 32-bit Fast Memory (expandable to a maximum of 63MB) for a great price.

To find out more, please visit the AmigaKit.com product pages here to place your order:

UK direct product link
Europe direct product link
USA direct product link
Canada direct product link
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Introducing ACA 1221 Low Cost Accelerator At AmigaKit.com
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
Nice!  Looks like it also includes an integrated port for the RapidRoad?  Very cool.  :)

For the benefit of other users, could you provide any more details on the "Overclocking options: 21.28 MHz or 28.38 MHz at extra cost"?  How does that work?  I don't see anything listed under "Configuration Options" besides whether to include the ACATune Utilitiy on disk or not.  Thanks!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
My understanding is that the extra "Overclocking options" are available as a paid software upgrade, perhaps in the way of a flash download.

Offline ExtremeWays

• Show only replies by ExtremeWays
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:38:30 AM »
The pay extra to give extra hardware capabilities (memory+speed) is very interesting approach.

Looking at the Amigakit site, I see "This product can be upgraded through a digital licence code upgrade after purchase"..

Maybe the extra cost is to cover warranty?  i.e. pushing the card hard introduces a higher percentage fail rate?

If so, I'm okay with that.

guest7146

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:55:15 AM »
That really is a good price!

I guess it will also work with the ACA500? If so, it might be worth advertising that on the product page.

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:46:31 AM »
Changed description. Thanks !
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline cunnpole

• Show only replies by cunnpole
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:01:32 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;792832
Changed description. Thanks !

Any clues as to what the extra costs might be?

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
Quote from: cunnpole;792838
Any clues as to what the extra costs might be?

Quoting Jens here;

Quote from: Schoenfeld

Correct - it's a test of a new business model. If it's a success, I'll use it on future products as well.

21MHz overclock is 5,- EUR
28MHz overclock is 15,- EUR
Maprom is 5,- EUR
9MB->17MB upgrade is 8,- EUR
9MB->33MB upgrade is 15,- EUR
9MB->63MB upgrade is 22,- EUR

Upgrading from 21MHz to 28MHz and from mid-memory to higher memory is also possible, but I haven't decided on prices yet. All depends on the level of automation that I can implement.

Sales of these codes cannot start yet, as some EU tax details aren't covered yet (new EU laws about taxing download/digital products). Also, it wouldn't make sense to sell them before the actual card is there, as the serial number of the card must be entered to find out the license code.

Kolla: If it's cracked, it will just be cracked for a single card, and for the next, you need to do all the work again. Hardly worth the trouble for just over 40,- EUR.

Jens
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »
Accelerators with DLC´s is that a good idea?
a1200 060

Offline Rob

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:47 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;792861
Accelerators with DLC´s is that a good idea?

Jens has said that this the test of a new business model and if it's successful he'll use it for future products

These are the positive and negative points from my perspective.

Positive points:

The same board can be sold at different performance/price points meaning cheaper production costs, which benfit the customer.

The base model, at under £60, is the cheapest brand new A1200 memory card for a long while, if ever.

If you want more power and memory in the future it only costs about £30 to access the card's full potential, rather than having to spend a further £90 or more to buy a more powerful replacement card.

Negative points:

The psychologic aspect of accepting a different business model to what you have always been used to.  That only really has to be a problem for people who want it to be.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:02:54 AM by Rob »

Offline Plaz

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 04:35:41 AM »
Interesting model and one that reminds me of how the "big iron" guys do it like IBM and HP. They sell you hardware sometimes with features already installed. Want to access them? Sure... just pay the extra license few and off you go. Don't need them, then no need to pay.

Plaz

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 04:58:56 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;792878
Interesting model and one that reminds me of how the "big iron" guys do it like IBM and HP. They sell you hardware sometimes with features already installed. Want to access them? Sure... just pay the extra license few and off you go. Don't need them, then no need to pay.

I think this new model is going to raise a few more questions.  Such as is the license stored on the card, or on  your hard drive?  For example what if someone wants to sell the card, or transfer it to another machine, or if their hard drive crashes?  Also are the upgrades available at boot, or do they need to be activated by ACATune?  Not trying to knock the card in any way, just I'm very curious about it.  Best of luck with the new sales model!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 05:13:20 AM »
If it doesn't support the Rev5 A500 mobo, it's useless to me and a whole TON of other people. Then again, the ACA500 is useless to a Rev5 mobo, so this is already useless to me and a ton of other people.

A shame, really.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 06:12:07 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;792881
If it doesn't support the Rev5 A500 mobo, it's useless to me and a whole TON of other people.

Maybe he'll have worked out whatever the bug is, by the time the next Rev. of ACA500 comes out?  Dunno.  Funny that, all the A500's I've owned going back to the early '90s have always been Rev6.  I've never even seen a Rev5 board.  Luck of the draw, I suppose!  ;)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »
It's a nice card. I don't like the the 'pay extra' business model I thought most people here didn't like that DRM crap.
Go Go Gadget Signature!