Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigakit and their customer service...  (Read 42794 times)

Description:

Offline Lorraine

• Show only replies by Lorraine
/
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
/

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
Re: Amigakit and their customer service...
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »

@ffastback
Drives that came with Amiga didn't have dremel cut upper shell or cut and clued together eject button to fit A1200/A600 case. These drives have. Simple mention that these are modified drives is all that would have been needed, but they don't give you that info on the page. It like buying a new car from a store and asking if it has been crashed and then repaired...

I'm into classic cars Painkiller.  And what you have here is a classic computer.  Lets take a fairer comparison.  Like say a disc brake conversion kit for an old car.  Unless a seller says NOS on a disc brake kit for a car you have to assume thats its derived from something else.  Often that means from another type of car, but machined to fit yours.  Just because its been modified for a specific application does not make it used, so long as they used all new source component parts.  Now you may think they did a shoddy conversion, or that their source vendor did.  But thats a different issue, one that is *not* one of misrepresentation.  And why would you send back priority mail?  Just so you can sound like it will cost more to get it back to them?  Geez!

Amigakit also has already told you that plenty of OEM drives were modified units of PC core parts with a variety of eject button placements.  So this gives you even less of a leg to stand on.  It means you assumed not only these were NOS on your own with no reason to, but you also assumed all A1200 and A600 drives would be the same and hence fit.  Your later research that you probably need a Panasonic specifically is the research you should have done in the first place.  What exactly were the chances that they would have been sending you Panasonic units without even asking?

This dosen't even touch on the fact that your have a custom case.  And in the drag racing hobby when you start doing stuff on custom frames you learn to ask as many questions as you can upfront on any parts you need.  A good place to start would have been with the maker of the case.  And then you could have bounced what they had to say off of Amigakit.  And then avoided this whole mess entirely.

And if modifying a PC drive is such a walk in the park for you and if money is so tight why did you not just make a drive yourself?

Offline amiga_3k

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »
If the site had stated that they were modified PC drives to fit the A1200/A600... would that have stop you from ordering the drives? I would then have assumed that they were modified to be a 100% replacement. But, as stated before, if you've got special kit the drive has to be fitted into (the Infinitv tower is special) then it would have never hurt to have asked.

You should compare this situation with something like this:

Say, you own a Skoda Fabia like this one

edit: oversized image, will shrink it
edit: shrinked

and let's assume you damage one of those Lexus-look rear-lights. Now, you call the local Skoda dealer and ask for a replacement rear-light of your Skoda Fabia. He politely askes for the year of built, if it's a left or right unit and within a few days you get what you asked. Only to find out that it is the bog-standard version he send you. Can you blame the dealer for delivering the standard version?
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
@amiga_3k

Finally I'm starting to enjoy this thread.  :lol:

Offline broken

• Show only replies by broken
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 08:50:14 PM »

amiga_3k wrote:
You should compare this situation with something like this:

Say, you own a Skoda Fabia like this one
http://cz.elf8.nl/dag3/images/033.jpg

Ok, thread needs to stop right here and we need to discuss this important matter.

Who the {bleep} would honestly drive a monstrosity like that?

I mean, thats beyond ghetto.

I think posting that image should almost be a bannable offense.  :crazy:

Offline amiga_3k

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »

Colani1200 wrote:
@amiga_3k

Finally I'm starting to enjoy this thread.  :lol:

Luckily, it's not my car. Spotted it in Prague this year.

Offline amiga_3k

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »

broken wrote:

Ok, thread needs to stop right here and we need to discuss this important matter.

I mean, thats beyond ghetto.

I think posting that image should almost be a bannable offense.  :crazy:

It does kind of display the issue :-D

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »
Guys stop for a moment.. i have to get some popcorn and a beer.
Ok, now im ready  :popcorn:
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 10:14:24 PM »
Boy - is that car bad for the eyes...  :egad:

back to topic:
I can't see anything wrong in how Amigakit handled the issue - and I can't really imagine having to pay +20€ for a small parcel from Finland to UK either...

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 10:25:23 PM »
@ broken:

Here in the midwest, lots of teens/kids with confused ethnic orientations "soup" up those tiny "rally" cars all the time. Even more offensive than the way they dress themselves, they have more money tied up in "ghetto blaster" like subwoofers that vibrate their cheaply made and overpriced "bling" they stuck all over the car. 'Blaring' doesn't even describe the word for how loud they insist on playing that repetitive ghetto garbage they call "music". To make matters even worse, they'll also do away with the quiet factory exhaust and stick on a larger, shinier POS that makes their {bleep}box even more offensive. As if we couldn't already see and hear them coming. It's a trashy urban cultural phenomenon to be sure and I do not see positive social change happening any time soon. In cases such as this, where tackiness is now accepted and rampant, and class and common courtesy are all but obsolete, I cannot simply say: "to each, his own". These kinds of kids *need* to either be dispatched to their own worthless isle or reprogrammed.

Sorry for the hijacked thread, but since Andeda is sitting back with his popcorn and beer...  lol

Offline Damion

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 10:40:41 PM »

Indeed... I'd take my "old man" W126 any day over that hideous POS... ;-)

Offline PainkillerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Painkiller
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »
@amiga_3k
Yes it would have stopped me from ordering as I have plenty of PC drives in my conrners that I can modify. As I mentioned before the Infinitiv Tower should accept internal Amiga drive so why ask? It didn't make any sense and it doesn't make any sense that the seller doesn't mention in anyway that these are modified PC to fit A1200 case and read  Amiga discs. Come to think of it last time I asked something from Amigakit was the EZ Z4 Tower if it can take G-REX busboard and never got an answer... Needless to say didn't buy it.

I would have asked for a Lexus-look rear-light. Didn't ask an Infinitiv Tower floppy drive, because internal A1200 drive should fit in it.

@ffastback
None of the drives that came with Amigas were dremel jobs... These are. Buyer should know if the drives are modified PC drives do you not agree (it is not something that one should ask for to know)? How would you feel if I were to sell you an Amiga and not mention what custom hacks I have done on it.

@Amigakit
I apology for my hars words. I will sell these drives here to avoid any further hasle. Could you be so kind and make your item discription more accurate?

Offline amiga_3k

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »

Painkiller wrote:
@amiga_3k
Yes it would have stopped me from ordering as I have plenty of PC drives in my conrners that I can modify. As I mentioned before the Infinitiv Tower should accept internal Amiga drive so why ask? It didn't make any sense and it doesn't make any sense that the seller doesn't mention in anyway that these are modified PC to fit A1200 case and read  Amiga discs. Come to think of it last time I asked something from Amigakit was the EZ Z4 Tower if it can take G-REX busboard and never got an answer... Needless to say didn't buy it.

I would have asked for a Lexus-look rear-light. Didn't ask an Infinitiv Tower floppy drive, because internal A1200 drive should fit in it.

Point taken :-).

On a more serious note, is there a difference in moulding / case between the 'Escom' A1200s and 'Commodore' 1200s? It's not a secret that the Escom Amigas came with modified PC drives and I can't believe they were all cut to fit. I seem to remember that 'back in the days' not all 'official' internal Amiga floppy-drives would fit the Infinitiv.

I think selling the drives and get yourself fitting units is the best solution. If I had a spare original laying here you could have it for free, but unfortunately I haven't.

What still interests me is, how do these drives not fit? Maybe just a small extra modification could make these drives also fit Infinitiv towers? Amigakit could then make that extra modification a standard so that an even broader audience could be served.

Offline PainkillerTopic starter

• Show only replies by Painkiller
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
If I recall correctly the drive I had in the tower before was a Panasonic drive and the eject button had a lenghtier metal part that was alligned with the correct eject button position for A1200 case. In Infinitiv Tower it went inside the eject button and worked perfectly. I don't think that Amigakit could  premodify these drives so that they wuold work correctly with Infinitiv case, what they can do is mention that it needs extra work and that these drives are hand modified. The plastic eject button on these drive can be made to retro fit inside Infinitiv Eject button, but the aligment isn't as straight forward.

I just want Amigakit to correct their discription for these drives. Would of been nice if they would have compensated me in some way, but I see now that it is just easier for me to sell these.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2008, 09:25:32 AM »
Thank you for your feedback.

After reviewing the product description, there are no amendments to be made IMHO.

The drives are clearly sold for the A600 and A1200 and that is exactly what they do.  Unfortunately, we can not exhaustively list every possible permeatation that these drives can possibly be used with (outside of the scope of what their advertised use is).  By nature, the Amiga market has a healthy home-brew DIY scene where A1200 are often fitted into many different third party tower systems.  

We encourage customers to contact us (email/fax/support ticket/phone call/pmail) and we will be happy to help answer technical queries.  
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 30, 2008, 09:54:39 AM »
I have to agree with amigakit on this one.

@ Painkiller you seem to be stating facts about the tower working with all A1200 internal drives as if its fact when you were not even aware that there were several different versions, and sizes and eject buttong configs etc on A1200 drives.

I think the fault lies completley with you, and as someone else said you are taking out your own frustrations on the supplier.

Do you know how to mod a PC drive then ???  Its not just a case of making it fit the case, thats for sure.

But I am sure you know that right ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"